Free massages for charity?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefanielou88

Reaction score
Hi, Just wondered if any of you could offer me any advice!?

I have my own salon within a large and affluent village and one of my clients has asked me if I would do an offer on sports massage for a group of 15 ladies running in the Race for life for a one of the mums who died this year of breast cancer.

I am undecided on what I should do for best, she has suggested a small offer on a half hour massage for each person, now do I do this for free as a contribution to the charity as it is bringing me in new clients from the village and as a good will gesture for some who was well known in the village, or do I come up with some money of the usual price that I charge.

Hope someone can offer some advise :)

It's a tough one. I once did a day of pedicures for a charity. It took up my whole Sunday, the clients paid this woman who was organising it £30 for each pedi, I didn't get any new clients from it.

I think unless it's a charity close to your heart that you support, I wouldn't, I would perhaps give them a discount instead. If you have trouble saying no, tell her that you have your own charity that you support and can't really offer more than a discount as it's taking up your whole day including cost of oils etc, or whatever you use, which is really expensive and you'll be out of pocket.

Hope that helps.

I agree with Mobile Manicure - offer a discount.

I'd rather run the race myself than do fifteen massages for free!

Jacqui xx

how about offering a discount then maybe donating some money my friend did this recently with spray tanning, £10 tans had 15 tans and gave them £50.

I think it's going to be tough doing 15 half hour massages in one day. Can you give this lady perhaps 15 vouchers to give to her runners for a 50% discount on a massage or something similar?

That way they can use it when they want, you'll look really generous and feel like you've done the right thing and believe me, they won't all use them so you won't be out of pocket.

I've done beauty treatments and massage for two different charity events in the past 12 months. Hasn't provided me with a single new client. One of the events was restaurant staff doing a marathon for charity and i did leg massage for some of the runners. The boss told me he'd email me a money off voucher for a meal. 2 months later and counting - no voucher!
I volunteered without expecting anything from that event but that has left me feeling a bit unappreciated. I don't mind donating vouchers for raffle but no more working my butt off at charity events for me Im afraid!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I have done this is the past and it does generate new clients however 15 massages is a lot to perform with no financial reward and will take it out of you.

What about offering say chair massage on the day with half the proceeds to the charity or suchlike and half to cover your time and effort.

Doing it for nothing, you lose out twice as you lose the income you could be charging that day for those 15 ladies plus the income you are losing at the salon. By the sounds of it they aren't expecting you to do it for nothing though as she has asked for an offer not free.

Last edited:
Great thanks for your advice, that was what I was hoping the response would be, I will offer them a discount. The massages wont be booked on all the same day anyway so it wont feel to bad. Its just difficult to know what to do in these charity situations, you dont want to come across 'un-caring' but at the same time you do have a business to run

Thanks again x

Latest posts

Back