Freedom of Information Act??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moby

Reaction score
Hi Geekys

Gona try and make this as short as possible for once!

I had a client come in who has her own beauty salon in outside Essex-ish area, or in?? Duno... (I'm in Slough and she lives here). She told me that she co-operated with the Council only to get loads of hassle from them etc and she had to re-train all her techys to NVQ level as they wouldn't accept any nail certs or insurance etc. She also said that she was only allowed a certain amount of techys in a certain area of her salon because of odours, or that she was allowed so many tech in so many sq ft of area!

Any-hoo, she said after about so many months hassle, she finally sorted it only to realise that the NSS salon down the road was always busy, TINY and had about 10 drillers. Which she, obviously, was annoyed about.

So she went snooping, she went to the council and requested the freedom of info on this salon, only to find that only 1 "tech" is supposed to be registered as being there! And they have about 10!

She informed the council - I duno what otha info she gave, but the NSS got shut down!

So - as for making our clients aware of NSS and MMA - Have any of you ever looked up the freedom of info act??

I couldn't believe that the NSS salon even had a "registered tech" - How can we rely on this Act if our counils do not know about the dangers these places can cause???

Also - has anyone co-operated with their council only to get alot of grief from them??

I have just started renting a space slap bam in middle of high street (well back of) for a few weeks now, I have an NSS at each end, and one in the shopping centre, which are all always busy (GRRR...) Plus the most popular which is prob another 10 mins away by car but ppl don't mind traveling too. Anyway, considering it's Jan, I have had about (looking in my diary....) 10 new clients from advertising and walk bys who've noticed me. (As well s my old mobile regs) Over 3 weeks-ish (is this good?? I was happy!)

Anyway, as you can guess where this is leading - In an ideal world there would be no NSS and we'd all be rich, happy techys! (Supposedly!)

I want these places to gooooooo!!! But then I think it sounds nasty that I want to go to the council and "tell" on these places! I know it's daft because these places are DEF NSS - I've been to check and asked questions!
(With little and annoyed or confused responses!)

What do you guys think? Would you go look up the FOI Act if it meant proper regulation and shutting these salons down?? I duno if I would, I think I would be scared and think it might cause me grief too. (And what if these people realised and came after me!!!)

Am I on the right track??

Or a selfish Witch after self promotion and gain!

Well honestly, business is business. If they arn't working by regulations then that's their fault. I don't know if you would be kept anynonomous or not so that is something to think about. However places like that are bad for the public they just don't know it, so you would be doing both yourself and the public a favor, but you know what they say "Even a good decision made for the wrong reasons can be a bad decision". It's hard to decide, me, personally would do it just because like I said business is business! That's just me though, I don't have much in the way of guilt so I, personally, wouldn't feel bad about it.

If you are a licensed tech, with a licensed business, I don't think you have anything to worry about. What some business do, is post their techs certificates, licenses, etc. behind the reception counter, so as soon as you walk in, its right there for the world to see.

I don't think you would report them for your own selfish gain. Resturants, pubs, etc., all have to comply with safety & health regulations, as do reputable salons & spas. Why these places slip through the cracks is beyond me!!!

The thing that gets me is, how do they get soooooo many customers without advertising? They open one day, and the next day they're so busy.

In the town where I live, is a hair "place", wouldn't call it a salon, and in the same area where she cuts hair, her husband cooks Chinese food (take out only). Nope, haven't eaten there, and don't plan on it. Tell me how this is sanitary, why in the world would this town council allow this? Better yet, why would the health dept. allow this? Do they know about it, not sure.

In the town where I live, is a hair "place", wouldn't call it a salon, and in the same area where she cuts hair, her husband cooks Chinese food (take out only). Nope, haven't eaten there, and don't plan on it. Tell me how this is sanitary, why in the world would this town council allow this? Better yet, why would the health dept. allow this? Do they know about it, not sure.

That is disgusting! I don't see how they could make any money, who in their right mind would want to eat there or for that matter who would want to be in a kitchen smelling chinese food and grease while getting their hair done?

If you are a licensed tech, with a licensed business, I don't think you have anything to worry about. What some business do, is post their techs certificates, licenses, etc. behind the reception counter, so as soon as you walk in, its right there for the world to see.

I don't think you would report them for your own selfish gain. Resturants, pubs, etc., all have to comply with safety & health regulations, as do reputable salons & spas. Why these places slip through the cracks is beyond me!!!

The thing that gets me is, how do they get soooooo many customers without advertising? They open one day, and the next day they're so busy.

OOOOOOOoooooooooooohhhhh Nasty! Yuk.

Latest posts

Back