Freelance Hairdressing... Advice needed please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah_clancy

Reaction score
So it's that time to go back to work after having my baby!!
And being a single parent, I think i'm going to benefit by being mobile, rather then back to the salon!
I know it's going to be slow to start off with, but I was just wanting to pick your brains on some good advice to start up!
I'm in the process of having my Logo made (very excited) then onto my flyers/business cards, so they have a professional finish!
What did you find that helped build your business up?
Where did most of your clients come from?
I'm guessing most of it will be word of mouth, but I have to start somewhere!
Im excited about going back to work, but petrified at the same time!!
Anyones opinions would be greatl appriciated!!!

Sarah
xox

i started with word of mouth first, then i got some postcards with my prices printed on the back, and targeted specific areas, but i have found it to be word of mouth...anyone you come in contact with..mothers at nursery's schools etc..these make brilliant clients....friends of friends etc, if you dont mind older clientelle as well...have a look round your town for flats specifically aimed at over 55's etc....if you google retirement sheltered accom in your area....hth a little

thanks i'll definatly try that.
How long did it roughly take you to build up a decent clientel???
xox

i was quite lucky sarah as soon as i told mums in the playground i was starting college to do hairdressing i had a lot of volunteers to practise on so once i left after finishing my level 3 they came with me as clients and then passed cards too their friends so i left college july and have had a good clients to start with which keeps me busy now.. good enough to earn a weekly wage....and the leaflet drops have given me weekly regular blowdry/sets which is set money each week for me...so i have been very lucky...

Sarah, I've just done the same myself as just qualified and can't work in a salon.

I got business cards from vista print for a few pounds and from there they can also print you flyers etc defo worth it.

I also advertised on online directories and get most of my work from that. I get about 5-8 enquiries a week which is great for starting up then you know yourself once you do one you get about 5 from each person.

Good luck with it all!!!

I don't know much about business but I was reading this interesting book called buzz marketing which talks about the different kinds of buzz and marketing through word of mouth. Maybe do something a bit out there/different like starting a single parent club and talk about different hair-related things and go from there? Just a random idea I'm throwing out there lol

iv been mobile for nearly 4 years now and have a great clientle i did take most my clients from the salon and the rest is by mouth, think of what aspected of hair you would like to go in if colour (like me) then concentrate on that as its more money i charge £65 full head H/L cut n blow if you did 2 a day you are laughing, im afraid to say at the start its a lot of net working, once you have your cards hand them out to everyone offer 50% off your first visit then 25% off there next hair app if they book with you there and then!! good luck xx

Thanks for all the advice guys.

dm corpes... how did you go about your colour range? Did you buy a complete one, or just buy as you need? Ive got loads of colour at the mo, but I'd like to have one range, whereas atm I have bits and bobs! Also what do you use as storage.. trolley, boxes, bags? Couldnt agree more about the word of mouth bit, its just getting out there!

xox

i did buy a hair dressing trolly that was good for a while but got very heavy and i didnt like wheeling it on clients carpets so i keep the trolly in my boot to store the peroxides bleach bowls brushes and foils, then have a small storage box for other crap, a big carrier with my cols in i keep the numbers in diff carriers ie all range 6 in one bag, all 7 in another bag, i learnt the hard way of after a while in your car they leek so at least it only explodes in a small bag!!!! i use wella col with the wholesalers own peroxide thats workd well for me. i noticed you live in farnborough im in guildford im happy to meet up if you want to have a nosey in my car and ask lots of questions!!!!! are you on face book or i could email you my mobile number if you would like????????

Hi, I don't leave the colours in the car as the heat (if we have anymore summer!) can be detrimental. I had a new bottle of wholesalers peroxide that lost most its strength after a day in my car :irked:. so my advice is to keep all the colour at home and only take what you need on the day. There was also a story about peroxide exploding in someones car.
I haven't long started back mobile and its a bit slow at the moment - my customers mouths aren't wordy enough I guess?! I'm planning a big leaflet drop and newsagent window adverts when the children go back to school. :)

all the best for starting mobile! im just going back to do my level 3 and think going mobile when i finish will be the best option being a single mum too :) x

Hi

i have been mobile for 4 years now i done a lot of leaflet drops where i would only get about 2 calls out of 3 hours worth of drops and i did take a lot of clients from the salon i worked in but my best form of advertising is with yell it does cost abit approx £600 a year for yellow pages and to be on yell.com but they do it over 10 months interest free so i pay £60 a month i tend to get at least 3 phone calls a week who have found me in there and most of the time they are for colours which i charge £40, you only need to get 2 clients who get colours from seeing your ad a month then the rest is just profit. I am now too busy to take on any more clients and i am actually buying a salon.

Hope this helps

I do recommend a friend leaflets which i give to clients and if they recommend someone I give them both half price off a cut and finish. Iv got alot of new clients from it xx

Thank you everyone for your help and ideas..
I had some beautiful leaflets made... and within the first day ive had about 5 phone calls!
So fingers crossed its all so exciting
What does everyone do with there colours?
Buy a complete range or what?
xox

Thank you everyone for your help and ideas..
I had some beautiful leaflets made... and within the first day ive had about 5 phone calls!
So fingers crossed its all so exciting
What does everyone do with there colours?
Buy a complete range or what?
xox

as i use koleston i started of with my bases from 3 to 12 then along the bases added some .03 .3 07. .1 etc...bleach, meche, 12 % h202 and 6% h202
i store them at home then when i get a call for a colour i go to client prior to the colour appointment with my shade charts...do a consultation , skin test (48hr before) take some hair cuttings then depending on the results i then go and buy my colours...then i take what i need for that appointment plus a backup...incase all goes not to well .lol not happened yet but like to have something in reserve. like others have said i dont keep any colours in my car if whilst at a client doing a cut and blow if they decide on a colour whilst i am there then i have my shade charts in the car and will rebook...as i allways do skin test and test pieces for insurance purposes,
hth

hi when i went mobile i had been living in NZ for a couple of years, i used the local paper to advertise mine has a free paper which gets delivered and you can choose how many areas to appear in it also has a Ladies section for stuff like hair and beauty, i found that great and loads of my old clients found me, also lots of villages and small towns produce there own mags so they are good and cheep to
i would buy a full colour range indolla is really good when mobile a good semi is harder to find though, and you can get great storage fron www.beautybag.co.uk good luck and make sure you leave a copy of your day with someone when your going to strangers houses.

hi,
i was mobile for two and a half years and have just opened a new salon because i got so busy. i had a website from vistaprint (originally i only paid £5 a month) and every new customer commented on it. alot of new customers said they choose me because the website was informative and had all of my prices on. i never in a million years thought people would search for hairdressers online but they do!! that would be my most treasured tip for new mobile hairdressers- grab the online market!!

as for colours i used matrix- i had 2n-11n flat bases and then added the most popular colours as i went along (for example the golds, warms + reds). i always told customers that unusual colours (violets/crazy colours) had to be preordered before.

hope this helps, good luck!!
amy x

hi,
i was mobile for two and a half years and have just opened a new salon because i got so busy. i had a website from vistaprint (originally i only paid £5 a month) and every new customer commented on it. alot of new customers said they choose me because the website was informative and had all of my prices on. i never in a million years thought people would search for hairdressers online but they do!! that would be my most treasured tip for new mobile hairdressers- grab the online market!!

as for colours i used matrix- i had 2n-11n flat bases and then added the most popular colours as i went along (for example the golds, warms + reds). i always told customers that unusual colours (violets/crazy colours) had to be preordered before.

hope this helps, good luck!!
amy x

Thats amazing, i'd love to have my own salon one day!
Im defo going to have to look at building a website!
Do you mind me asking where you got ur matrix tints from?
I cant find it ANYWHERE! and aston and fincher dont have it on there webite.
xox

xxx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back