Freelance makeup artist, I’ve lost the confidence to continue working

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makeupbyh

Reaction score
Hi
I don't mean for this to be a negative post I'm just looking for some support if that's okay. I'm a beginner freelance makeup artist and I've been learning new tips and tricks along the way but I'm having a hard time continue. I feel super anxious working with clients because I feel like I lack the knowledge for some reason. After every session I would feel drained and negative and obviously unhappy with my work on the client because I would realise they don't seem impressed and I would continue hating myself for the rest of the day. I just can't make out what client wants they either want heavey makeup that would change their features or light makeup and I never seem to achieve both which is disappointing. I used to post on my facebook group some makeup looks on myself but I've lost the confidence to that also. I've stopped advertising and I just don't feel confident to take anymore clients. Ive been advised that I don't need beauty school especially where I live that's not available here so I tried building my skills from scratch but i don't that that has worked out.Also I don't know how to improve anymore since I don't have anyone to practise on and i just procrastinate on practicing myself because I don't feel that motivated. My family have motivated me so much I'm thankful but then there are people out there who are super negative and it's gotten to me. I have so much passion for makeup but I feel like I've wasted my time for 2 years and made a complete fool of myself for attempting to become a makeup artist.

Hi
I don't mean for this to be a negative post I'm just looking for some support if that's okay. I'm a beginner freelance makeup artist and I've been learning new tips and tricks along the way but I'm having a hard time continue. I feel super anxious working with clients because I feel like I lack the knowledge for some reason. After every session I would feel drained and negative and obviously unhappy with my work on the client because I would realise they don't seem impressed and I would continue hating myself for the rest of the day. I just can't make out what client wants they either want heavey makeup that would change their features or light makeup and I never seem to achieve both which is disappointing. I used to post on my facebook group some makeup looks on myself but I've lost the confidence to that also. I've stopped advertising and I just don't feel confident to take anymore clients. Ive been advised that I don't need beauty school especially where I live that's not available here so I tried building my skills from scratch but i don't that that has worked out.Also I don't know how to improve anymore since I don't have anyone to practise on and i just procrastinate on practicing myself because I don't feel that motivated. My family have motivated me so much I'm thankful but then there are people out there who are super negative and it's gotten to me. I have so much passion for makeup but I feel like I've wasted my time for 2 years and made a complete fool of myself for attempting to become a makeup artist.
Hi
This is a common problem with makeup artists. Imposter syndrome or just a build up of negative thoughts which leads to lack of confidence.
Our business is one of ongoing education and learning new techniques as well as seasonal trends.
Being self employed and working solo when you often need support also adds to this feeling of 'isolation'.
if this resonates with you then you will be please to know it is all totally solvable.

How can I overcome this isolation? How can I motivate myself because I'm actually easily motivated by others if anyone shows appreciation towards my work other than that I'm freaking out that I'm not good enough. Also when I feel anxious while applying I just give up and do anything I can't seem to use my brain while applying onto clients I lose every idea I had and it feels like I'm completely new to this makeup career.

Hi
This is a common problem with makeup artists. Imposter syndrome or just a build up of negative thoughts which leads to lack of confidence.
Our business is one of ongoing education and learning new techniques as well as seasonal trends.
Being self employed and working solo when you often need support also adds to this feeling of 'isolation'.
if this resonates with you then you will be please to know it is all totally solvable.
How can I overcome this isolation? How can I motivate myself because I'm actually easily motivated by others if anyone shows appreciation towards my work other than that I'm freaking out that I'm not good enough. Also when I feel anxious while applying I just give up and do anything I can't seem to use my brain while applying onto clients I lose every idea I had and it feels like I'm completely new to this makeup career.

I felt like this when I qualified as a hairdresser then worked freelance. So, I got a part time job in a small salon and it absolutely boosted my confidence. I had the knowledge and skills but being surrounded all day by experts and having discussions in the colour cupboard of various scenarios helped me to apply these within my practice. I would say that following qualification you still have so much to learn, a bit like passing your driving test. It comes with experience and time. Don't give up!

Hi
Wow, I'm so grateful to have come across this, because I'm feeling the same exact way.

I did a 6 week makeup course at the end of 2023, which I was so excited for because it's been my dream to have some sort of certificate or accreditation for my makeup skills since I've been super passionate about makeup from a very young age, it was literally my only passion and the only thing that I felt I was good at. And now, just a few months later, I feel completely lost and extremely unmotivated, and feel like I've lost all my passion for makeup.

I just think that I'll never be as good as all of the hundreds of makeup artists I see on social media on a daily basis, so my mindset automatically is "What's the point of trying to get better if exceptional makeup artists already exist? What am I trying to achieve? People will never choose me over this other MUA since they're more experienced and skilled." and it's exhausting. I truly don't know what to do to change this mindset.

It's clear that being an artist of any kind is one of the most difficult careers you could choose, since you have to have your own style, techniques and be different than anyone else to stand out, and I think I put a tremendous amount of pressure on myself as an MUA because of that, and that's what primarily stops me from even trying to work as an MUA.

Trying to be better than the best is unrealistic so treat these demoralising posts as training! Just embrace the look and deconstruct it to see what tips and tricks you can pick up. When I was just starting out in henna brows there were loads of dramatic looks on Instagram- but I found the clients that didn’t want amazingly striking brows. I would say “don’t worry, I do a more natural look”, and they were deeply relieved!

It’s very early days in your journey so hold your nerve and don’t forget that demand is seasonal, I would concentrate on marketing yourself in a very clear, easy to understand way. What do you feel confident in? Make up on older ladies who have lost confidence or are feeling dated? Barely there soft yet pretty looks for teenagers for whom the prom Queen look feels too strong? Day make up for ladies returning to a career after a break, who want a fresh look? Make up to conceal unbalanced skin, uneven skin tones, 6 0’clock shadow? Make up to re-sculpt contours, maybe soften a “male” look?

Treat this as a marketing exercise. Write a list of the type of client looks you feel totally at ease with, and think about how to connect with this market so they know you offer services they’d be interested in.

I’d also suggest you spend some time building your emotional resilience. There are lots of techniques that help, from writing a daily list of 10 items in your life you feel grateful for. Listing 3 things you have achieved each day at bedtime. Chanting a mantra to yourself of “I am” affirmative statements - I am confident in my skills, I am proactive towards opportunities, I am healthy, I am warm and friendly towards everyone I meet…etc. you build the list of true statements including things that you aspire to achieve as if you have already achieved them, so if you are just starting to exercise you would affirm “ I am fit” for instance. I spent quite a bit of money on mindset training during covid and it really helped me to give myself the kick up the proverbial that I needed, because I was feeling a bit despondent and helpless. That sort of attitude is death to business because no-one wants to buy from someone who believes no-one wants what they are selling. If nothing else read the book “feel the fear and do it anyway” by Susan Jeffries.

Maybe connect with your fellow graduates. Share ideas, lift each other up, have a zoom cocktail or agree a “let’s do this together” marketing strategy. Being part of a group is a very positive experience.

Latest posts

Back