French mani-how do you create the smile line and perfect it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooks

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I have read through I would say allll of the threads on here relating to French Mani and various different tips to creating the perfect smile line.

My question may seem like a bit of an odd one based on that! When doing French I tend to follow the natural line of the Free edge the client has so it always ends up looking pretty natural (and not as perfect as I would like) A friend of mine says she dis-regards this line and creates a totally new one.

How do you decide how thick you are going to do the white and do you follow what they naturally have or not?

Do you discuss it with the client before you begin?

French is the one area I reallllly want to improve in so that its PERFECT!

Hope this makes just a little sense!

Hi Geeks

I have read through I would say allll of the threads on here relating to French Mani and various different tips to creating the perfect smile line.

My question may seem like a bit of an odd one based on that! When doing French I tend to follow the natural line of the Free edge the client has so it always ends up looking pretty natural (and not as perfect as I would like) A friend of mine says she dis-regards this line and creates a totally new one.

How do you decide how thick you are going to do the white and do you follow what they naturally have or not?

Do you discuss it with the client before you begin?

French is the one area I reallllly want to improve in so that its PERFECT!

Hope this makes just a little sense!

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread myself - I'd love any advice or tips on French!! But I have always tried to follow the natural line - even though it may not be crisp (let's be honest it would look 'un-natural' if it was) it looks close enough!! I use a CND Gel oval no #6 - hth :)

Yes, I guess that's a good way to put it really. If you follow the natural line it will look more natural but if you don't it looks more perfect baring in mind that each nail is unique.

Obviously I talk to the client about the look they want but often they're unsure and I think I just confuse them!

Yes, I guess that's a good way to put it really. If you follow the natural line it will look more natural but if you don't it looks more perfect baring in mind that each nail is unique.

Obviously I talk to the client about the look they want but often they're unsure and I think I just confuse them!

I know! Haha best just going with your instinct ☺

I create a whole new line. My aim is to make a really crisp smile line running from sidewall to sidewall. My friend trained with Young Nails and she was trained to draw on smile lines in a half semi circle if that makes sense? I paint on my smile line with gel polish (sometimes I use a dotting tool if the clients nails are really short) and then tidy up the curve of the smile line with my gel brush.

I'd love to hear tips on how to make it perfect, I think I'm slightly obsessed with it!! Xx

Last edited:
I create a whole new line. My aim is to make a really crisp smile line running from sidewall to sidewall. My friend trained with Young Nails and she was trained to draw on smile lines in a half semi circle if that makes sense? I paint on my smile line with gel polish (sometimes I use a dotting tool if the clients nails are really short) and then tidy up the curve of the smile line with my gel brush.

I'd love to hear tips o. How to make it perfect, I think I'm slightly obsessed with it!! Xx

Ooh I heard of using the dotting tool b4 - must give it a go next time :) thanx

I think I may try the dotting tool only thing is nobody else at my work uses one so I might feel like I'm not competent enough.
It's funny I end up through summer doing loads of French and then as soon as summer is over I have one like once every two months lol it's like I get used to doing them and get good then I don't have any for a while.
I was taught to do the thin with not much product on your brush and then from the side to middle, then opposite side to middle, join and straighten up but can be a little time consuming.
I have heard there are good YouTube clips on tips how to improve.

Il be keeping my eye on this thread for hints

Thanks girlies :) xx

I do it depending on what the client wants & her nails.

If they're all the same shape/size with a good consistent free edge, I'll use that as my guide.
However if the free edge is all odd due to different shaped nailbeds/side walks, I'll create a smile line.
Usually do this by the semi-circle route, but I found it easier to get a nice line by coming down a little way up the side wall at a slight angle on each side, then matching the bottom to each line, then going over as normal & tidying up with a clean damp brush.

Hope this makes sense .... If not I'll try & draw what I mean tomorrow & upload it !!

Basically, don't over flood your brush, rest your painting hand in your other hand as per the college trick & take your time.

Or as I once saw on you tube, brush it on any old way & go in with a brush with cleanse/d-sperce/etc to wipe away excess to leave your clean line.

I always ask how they want it.
Some like their nails very short with just the thinnest bit of white (usually those with naturally long nail beds). For that I use a dotting tool.

If they let me pick, I use their natural smile line as a guide and go just a teeny tiny bit behind it in case some parts are uneven so the smile line looks even with none of their free edge showing through the sheer pink.

If they have short nail beds, I use an opaque pink and create my own smile line based on the length I have to work with. (Of course I have to ask first if they're ok with that shade of pink).

I never stopped practice French. (Been nearly 12 years now!) Im not a fan of using guideline stickers and shields. I've always felt as a professional, this should be something I can do with just my hands and the polish brush. My aim is always to get it right and tidy the first time with as little tidying up as possible... but you know... theres just those odd days where I miss lunch and my hands get shaky. :lol:

Last edited:
I create a whole new smile line. I like them to look even and consistent throughout. I find it easiest to go from one side to the middle and then opposite side to the middle in 2 thin coats. Then, if needed I clean up the smile line with an old gel brush and nail fresh (by CND).

Last edited:
Thanks Ladies

I may try creating a whole new smile line next time, use a more opaque pink if they are ok with that and then give it a go!

My French's always look ok but I want them to look FAB!

A few years ago i used a dotting tool for french in a trade test and was told that it looked really unprofessional :(

Latest posts

Back