French Manicure - Discovery!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soz

Reaction score
I normally dread French Manicures but did one last night and decided to try using a nail art brush instead of the one that comes with the polish. WOW!!! It was a doddle - I used a fine detail brush and with the lovely consistency of CND's cream puff the results were just fab - nice crisp lines and no mess. Feel like this has really given me confidence. Not sure it would be considered 'professionally' acceptable but would strongly recommend it for anyone like me who just seemed to make a 'whitewash' mess with the polish brush!!!

Hope this helps someone

thanxs for the tip im gonna give it ago x

i have often wondered why they dont supply french polish with a choice of brush, i use a different brush when doing french on toes crisp line and no mess on the skin at all.

I hate doing French manicure on clients with vertually no free edge...maybe this will change, will give this idea a try nonight on my tooties

shropshiredawn said:
i have often wondered why they dont supply french polish with a choice of brush, i use a different brush when doing french on toes crisp line and no mess on the skin at all.
me too - surprised no-one has invented a some kind of 'pen' or am I just a cheat looking for the easy way out?!!!

shropshiredawn said:
Hi ya what brush do you use? thanks x

hi I just used a Star nails fine detailer that I picked up in my local Sally's - cheap as chips but did the job fab. I kept a little dappen dish of polish remover handy just to clean the brush a couple of times too.

That - ma friend - is a real brainwave :green:

I'll have to try that!

I use this technique too, but I usually paint the first layer of paint with white acrylic paint. Then I take my white enamel and using the brush it comes with, I paint over the first layer of white, This gives me a good guideline. Plus I dont ruin my brushes by painting with enamel - I find this really dries out the bristles. Any mistakes, I swipe off with a cotton wool ended manicure stick, then apply the pink over and topcoat. This lasts quite a while on my nails, the same as a normal french polish does.

Sooo much easier and quicker!

xxlaylaxx

I picked up this technique from the Nailtech board, I apply my white as neat as I can, then take a Light Elegance gel brush (not used with any gels I must add) due to it's shape, and dip into nailfresh, wipe of excess but still leave quite wet and tidy up the smile line and any on the skin surrounding the nail, perfect french every time! Jx

I love that idea Jojo, and the others about the brush too, never thought of using a fine one. I think i will try it but do it slightly different. How about if you do the smile line with the thin brush then fill in with the polish brush, gives you an edge to work with, just a thought.:biggrin:

LayStar said:
I usually paint the first layer of paint with white acrylic paint. Then I take my white enamel and using the brush it comes with, I paint over the first layer of white, This gives me a good guideline.

xxlaylaxx
Havent done a French Mani. for some months now and I have two Thurs :eek:
What I want to know is when using this method ... how many coats of 'Creme Puff' should I go with on top of the white acrylic paint.
Ta.

I want to try this - am novice in area and find FM really hard. Is the brush actually called a 'Fine Detailer'?

Hi Andy

Yeah I'm sure that's what its called - but any fine(ish) nail art brush - probably even just an art brush would do the job fine - don't spend a fortune though (unless of course you've got loads of money to burn lol) it dosn't do your brush any favours!! You don't need a really good quality brush like you do for acrylic say. Honestly I can't tell how much this has revolusionalised my life...good luck

sawasdee ka

For french we learn from america you do your french and after dip a fine nail art brush in acetone and you can clean your french smile line very very good it is the way to have a perfect smile :) if you can not do with the polish brush .

Mui

Hallelujah!

I hate doing French - in fact I don't do them but I am so going to give it a try using your tips.
Thanks Guys
Let you know how I get on!

When I do french manicures, I use Essie's Blanc (white) for the tip. I wipe off most of the polish from the brush so that there is no running, or blobs of white. Then I just wipe the brush from one side to the other, creating a nice smile. Most clients already have a pretty distinguished smile line at the free edge of their nail, so i just folow that. It also helps to do french on toes. If you can do french on toes, you can do french on anything!! I use a round sable brush for clean up on the sides, and along the free edge. Good luck! Later!

Can this site get any better???? It just astounds me how much I learn from these threads day by day. Thanks ladies........ another point well taken and I'm off to Sally's in the morning for my fine detailer brush.

The last time I tried a FM it was hilarious! Smudged and wobbly! Anyway, I'm going to experiment on my Tootsies asap. Thanx again.x

I totally agree about the fine detailer brush.

For ages clients wanted french on their toes and the mess made when using the brush from the polish bottles was scary.

The fact that the toes have a finer white edge made me hope i was not asked to do it.

Then one day my Daughter was using them and 'PING' my thinking light went on and from that day to this i use it for the toes and shorter finger nails, and I love it when asked to do them now.

I found on longer nails the end result is a bit bumpy and by far the airbrush french is the most crisp and neat.

Has anyone tried the french stick on things? I saw them in a mag the idea seems cool but the trouble with those would be the edges lifting up. Let me know if anyone has tried them and what you thought! Thanks

Thank you both for that. Bought a brush today so will try tonight. Thank you Mui - I never thought of that. Will give it a go.

Latest posts

Back