french manicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andi

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
Just wanted your help, I am a beauty therapist so just do manis and pedi but I don't do French manicures. How do you get the white tip straight also do you put on a base coat first just not, please help,
thanks andi.:cry:

Hi Geeks,
Just wanted your help, I am a beauty therapist so just do manis and pedi but I don't do French manicures. How do you get the white tip straight also do you put on a base coat first just not, please help,
thanks andi.:cry:

The thing with French is practice, practice, practice.

There are loads of threads on here with tips for french manicures, I will see if I can find some for you but dont try and aim for a straight line with your white as this is not normally the most suitable shape for the clients. Aim for a nice smile.

Hi

I am not very good at French so i buy the french manicure strips (yes i know it is cheating!!)

I would normally do a
base coat
french white tip
top coat

Jane x

I do base coat on the tip only, apply white, neaten up with a thin brush dipped in npr if needed.
Base coat over whole of nail then colour.
Allow to dry thoroughly!
Apply top coat.
If you practice free hand you will get it and imo you get a better finnish than if you use the strips. HTH.

I agree free hand is def best, i just am no good at it and strips are the next best thing for me

I never use the strips it's as Oey said and all down to lots of practice,I apply base coat first then white tip,then pale pink followed by top coat,sweep from right to centre then left to centre,it's important to have the white smiling though not straight as this is NOT a good or natural look.

You can use thin brush dipped in Scrub fresh to tidy the smile or use cocktail stick dipped in nail polish remover.HTH

I know it's really boring to go back over old threads, but these could well help you ...

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/16602-french-manicures-sassy.html

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/18225-frightened-french-manicures-help.html

I just used all the advice given and found what works best for me which is

french white & tidy smiles with Nailfresh
base coat
French pink
tidy cuticles with Nailfresh to get crisp line there (I do this with all my polishes, not just French)
top coat
solar spray

Thanks guys, thats a great help and I will check out the other threads. But can you tell me what is nail fresh and where do you get it from, I currently use Jessica products and have never heard of this,
many tha:hug:nks andi.

The products I use are by CND (Creative) and available from Sweet Squared. You can set up a secondary account with them if you have had reputable training elsewhere. Nailfresh is a nail dehydrator, but what makes it fab for polish tidy ups is how it evaporates so quickly so it doesn't flood your polish and ruin it ... but of course makes sure you don't leave the bottle top off for long or it will evaporate wuickly from the bottle too!

practise makes perfect ...... get a few (lots) of tips and keep practising, it really is best to use a base coat first (thats why it called base coat) and try and freehand, personally i dont like the idea of nailfresh (for the same reasons i dont like tipblender) ..... the acetone content ......... (nailfresh is 70% acetone). There are a few ways of doing a French (from side to side, or back to front) find what suits you, but, if i'm doing them on natural nails it's important to have a base coat (after all thats what we have been taught from the beginning to help polish adhere).

i spent 9 hours last week practicing my white tips! i sat with a new bottle of white polish and applied and removed on my own hand all day! i also use nail fresh i only discovered it a few weeks ago and love it. as i discovered there are lots of different polish application methods to create a good french polish you just need to find one that suits you hth xxx

I never use the strips it's as Oey said and all down to lots of practice,I apply base coat first then white tip,then pale pink followed by top coat,sweep from right to centre then left to centre,it's important to have the white smiling though not straight as this is NOT a good or natural look.

You can use thin brush dipped in Scrub fresh to tidy the smile or use cocktail stick dipped in nail polish remover.HTH

I do the same as Babs,

They should of shown you at college how to do french polish, it was included in my nvq so had to do an assessment on it to.

I do find the brush in the Jessica polish a dream to apply white tips, just keep practicing and you will get the hang of it :)

Thanks again everybody, so it looks like lots and lots of practice and I will def try the nail fresh.
Regards Andi:hug:

Latest posts

Back