french manicure.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelli-marie

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry i havent been on site for a while.
been busy with my leaflet drops to get my name about without much sucsess.
Iwork in a hospital and my name has got round i came in this morning with six people intrested in having there nails done, i couldnt belive my luck i had given up hope.
One has asked for a french manicure, the problem i have found with the nail varnish is that it never goes on without streaks in it the white for the tip is fine but just the pink any ideas. also is it best to do the white with or without the help of the tape guidelines i sometimes find that when i peel it of it pulls the white of as well.
Just wanted to no the easier way to do all this.

Hiya Kelli,
I usually free-hand my frenches as I find that using the guide tapes always leaves you with a slight ridge when you pull it away. It may be my technique, but I just can't get it to blend nicely using a tape.
I've found freehanding is def easier when you have a nice, fluid polish. My favourite non-professional polishes for this at the moment are ones from H&M: I use a pink called no 34 Pink Bloom, or a beige, no 37 Beige. Both are quite pale and with a slight pearlescent shimmer, so they're not 100% natural, but they look quite nice. I also use an H&M pearlescent white which typically I can't find right now to give you the name, but they probably only do one. It's a lovely consistency which I find glides over the tip of the nail really nicely and allows me to do quite a good line. I apply going right to left over the nail on my left hand, and the opposite on my right... not sure how you'd do it over another person.
With these polishes I use the brush that's with them, although depending on the size, shape, and stiffness of the brush, you might want to use a separate one.
Are you getting streaks in the polish because you're using one that doesn't take too well to being applied in a sheer coat? What brand are you using?
I've also just ordered Attitude Pink Cream and Peaches And Cream polishes, so I'll see how those get on.
Hope that helps a bit!Lol x

I would advise against using the tape. For a start it's not professional ... these things are for consumers ... pros are expected to be able to hand paint a perfect smile line ... no pro has the time to wait for enamel to dry and then pull off the tape.

As for streaky pink. There are enamels that don't streak. All depends on quality as per usual. Creative Beau, and Negligé and Lighten UP (all french pinks) do not streak. You can try working thinner with the polish you've got, to avoid streaks but it doesn't always work. Best to get a top quality professional enamel and then it will look after you. :D

kelli-marie said:
Hey guys, sorry i havent been on site for a while.
been busy with my leaflet drops to get my name about without much sucsess.
Iwork in a hospital and my name has got round i came in this morning with six people intrested in having there nails done, i couldnt belive my luck i had given up hope.
One has asked for a french manicure, the problem i have found with the nail varnish is that it never goes on without streaks in it the white for the tip is fine but just the pink any ideas. also is it best to do the white with or without the help of the tape guidelines i sometimes find that when i peel it of it pulls the white of as well.
Just wanted to no the easier way to do all this.

I used to suffer with this I now use Creatives white polish and of course lots of practice...

I find I am okay now, I dont use guides and never has as I feel it doesn't look professional and you wont get any better if you don't learn the hard but correct way...

Practice on your wrong hand, this could help your skills along with a good quality polish. hth

Hi, the creative white, 'Cream Puff' is fabulous for french along with negligee.
I have never tried the guide strips for the white, It is much easier though if you free hand paint the white, I find the quicker you do it the better, with not too many strokes of the brush.
I then use a colour correcter pen, (dipped into polish remover if the nib is too dry!) to remove any excess polish from skin around the nail....
I normally then use Out the Door or Northern Lights top coats, which I find I can apply immediately after for a perfect and speedy finish!!
Hope this is of help

Sue

Latest posts

Back