French Polish!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily22

Reaction score
:mad: Help!!

Can anyone advise me with regards to french polish? I just cant seem to speed up with it and it takes forever!!!
I have just done one on my friends daughter (who is 11), which tbh was a nightmare, she kept giggling at her sister everytime i was doing a white tip and i had to keep correcting it, a couple of the nails i had to re-do the tips and she smudged one of them! Now of course im allowing some of the time for the fact that she was more difficult to do than say an older client due to the fact that she kept moving about, smudged a couple of nails twice etc etc!
I also did nail art for her (just some pink flicks and dots) that looked really nice and added a little gem in the corner of each tip so the flicks looked like they were coming out from the corner.
It looked really really nice at the end but just took so long. She kept changing her mind as to what she wanted, kept trying to get me to look at the tv when im trying to paint and was generally v.difficult! She's a lovely girl dont get me wrong but very awkard!

I was meant to be doing her feet too but luckily i couldnt as the whole of her little toe nail was bruised so i couldnt do it. I would have been there all night otherwise.

Ive decided im going to say NO french polish for kids now, but if they really want it then im going to add a little to the price, purely because of the extra time it takes.

In general though, without all the extra hassle i had tonight i do say a french polish does take me longer than id expect and could do with some tips on speeding up.
Does anyone use the nail guides? I never had but wasnt sure if they are any good or make it worse?
What the average time a french polish should take?

Any help would be appreciated, im so annoyed with myself right now!:cry:

Awww she sounds like a pain in the bum to have as a client, they are better when there is no TV or other distractions as they tend to just watch what you are doing hth
as for the nail guides NO they are not helpful, they tend to smudge when you remove them and they are not very professional,
yes charge extra for french polish whether they are children or adults, we all do,
i think it takes me about half an hour to to do a french depending on the nails and that includes a good prep,
the more you do the quicker you will get and the more relaxed you are about doing them will make you quicker
edited to say you shouldnt be annoyed with your self hun you hardly had the model client did you :hug: :hug:

thanks:hug: Ive just been to see my best mate and she is coming round tommorow night so i can have ago on her nails! She loves french polish and gets all excited about it! lol!
Ive told her im going to do it and time myself so i can see how long it takes me in total with a full manicure.
Ive just not been having a gd time lately, been setting up my business just a few weeks of having an operation which was unexpected. Now me and hubby are arguiing (reckons he's leaving etc etc, heard it all before and tbh dont want him too but cant be ar***d to keep having the same argument again and again).
Did my little client tonight which was good because it got me away from everything and i love doing nails, yes, was difficult but i was soooo pleased with end result just having a day where i just dont feel good enough, i just want to chill out and have a day where i dont think about anything! Its been hard work setting business up but its what i want to do and hopefully be worth it in the end, but i also have his parents taking the mick on the phone about the fact that (as far as they are concerned) im not going to make any money from it, his mum even said to me i wont need to pay tax on my earnings as i wont earn anywhere near enough - despite the fact that i also have a part time job! Nice to know she has confidence in me.
Sorry for going on here, i know its not the place for personal probs but im just soo fed up tonight!
I feel like his parents look down on me alot because i dont work full time (even though i do have 2 children to care for too), now ive found an interest in something i really love doing, they think im just going to fail. Ive never had complaints from people who have had their nails done and they always ask again for it (this was with case studies), now ive set my business up ive had 2 bookings and a booking for a pamper party straight away, which made me feel really good about it, but then other times i wonder if i really am good enough:cry:
Sorry again for going on an on here! Just need to let all my frustration out!

French nails can be very frustrating - I know I hav been there and worn that t-shirt.

I have too tried the guides and dont think I would use them again, as i think they can look much better freehand. Quite often if I an not happy with the look i will wipe off and re-apply, not many clients nails are perfect so some nails are more difficult than others.

I also have a bottle of nail-fresh to hand and also a small gell brush, if my smile isnt as good as I would like I would like i would dip the gel brush into the nail-fresh and tidy it up with that.

Keep practising - you will get there - I also charge extra for the french as it does take longer. Tell us what you include in your standard manicure and we can then give you a guide of what time it should take. Although at the minute I wouldnt focus on your time - focus on perfecting the application first without worrying about the time. Then you wont feel as pressured.

Good luck and keep that practice going.

French nails can be very frustrating - I know I hav been there and worn that t-shirt.

I have too tried the guides and dont think I would use them again, as i think they can look much better freehand. Quite often if I an not happy with the look i will wipe off and re-apply, not many clients nails are perfect so some nails are more difficult than others.

I also have a bottle of nail-fresh to hand and also a small gell brush, if my smile isnt as good as I would like I would like i would dip the gel brush into the nail-fresh and tidy it up with that.

Keep practising - you will get there - I also charge extra for the french as it does take longer. Tell us what you include in your standard manicure and we can then give you a guide of what time it should take. Although at the minute I wouldnt focus on your time - focus on perfecting the application first without worrying about the time. Then you wont feel as pressured.

Good luck and keep that practice going.

nail fresh ? i think i have finally found the one thing i have been longing for.... whaere can you buy this :)

nail fresh ? i think i have finally found the one thing i have been longing for.... whaere can you buy this :)

I was recently taught the nail fresh way too and it's fab! I never had french polish on my menu before but now it's there for toes and fingers!

You need to buy it from creative as it is a creative product. Is normal use is for prepping extra oily nail plates so I am guessing that there should be similar products by other companies too if you don't use creative!

You need to buy it from creative as it is a creative product. Is normal use is for prepping extra oily nail plates so I am guessing that there should be similar products by other companies too if you don't use creative!

So would NSI's nail pure plus be their alternative then?

I used to struggle with French polishing but then read a few threads about tidying up the smile like with nail fresh or polish remover.
I use an eye lash tinting brush, which I bought on the Millennium stand at one of the nail shows, to tidy up the smile line. Perfect finish every time. I love it.

Just a thought, how do you stop the white from going onto their skin at the edges? I was finding am spending ages cleaning it off with nail polish remover and a cotton bud and end up smudging the nail so i started using the forms i use for sculpting and putting them on first this saves time removing the white form the skin. How do you guys do it? sorry for hijacking.

Hi. Pull the skin down from the sidewalls whilst holding their finger. I apply white french tip polish on a naked nail then dip my acrylic brush (an old one) into acetone and tidy up the smile line from 'inside'. A coat of matte pink base coat over the top and finish with top coat. You can always tidy up around the edges with an orangewood stick dipped in polish remover.
Keep practising!
Good luck X

I find using a slightly opaque white polish helps, but I do the white tips twice, this means that any mistakes you make first time can be rectified second time round. it doesn't take longer to do it this way once you have done it a few times and the tip is much more natural looking. for people who like a bright white tip i use my hollywood white tip and then go over quickly with my opaque white. its disguises any mistakes really quickly. I use Essie nail polishes as they go on beautifully and dry quickly. I get a lot of requests for french polish and I enjoy doing them now, was scared stiff when I forst started doing them!

I used to struggle with French polishing but then read a few threads about tidying up the smile like with nail fresh or polish remover.
I use an eye lash tinting brush, which I bought on the Millennium stand at one of the nail shows, to tidy up the smile line. Perfect finish every time. I love it.

Cant wait to have a go at that! I didnt even think of doing that but it just makes so much sence!!

xx

:mad: Help!!

Can anyone advise me with regards to french polish? I just cant seem to speed up with it and it takes forever!!!
I have just done one on my friends daughter (who is 11), which tbh was a nightmare, she kept giggling at her sister everytime i was doing a white tip and i had to keep correcting it, a couple of the nails i had to re-do the tips and she smudged one of them! Now of course im allowing some of the time for the fact that she was more difficult to do than say an older client due to the fact that she kept moving about, smudged a couple of nails twice etc etc!
I also did nail art for her (just some pink flicks and dots) that looked really nice and added a little gem in the corner of each tip so the flicks looked like they were coming out from the corner.
It looked really really nice at the end but just took so long. She kept changing her mind as to what she wanted, kept trying to get me to look at the tv when im trying to paint and was generally v.difficult! She's a lovely girl dont get me wrong but very awkard!

I was meant to be doing her feet too but luckily i couldnt as the whole of her little toe nail was bruised so i couldnt do it. I would have been there all night otherwise.

Ive decided im going to say NO french polish for kids now, but if they really want it then im going to add a little to the price, purely because of the extra time it takes.

In general though, without all the extra hassle i had tonight i do say a french polish does take me longer than id expect and could do with some tips on speeding up.
Does anyone use the nail guides? I never had but wasnt sure if they are any good or make it worse?
What the average time a french polish should take?

Any help would be appreciated, im so annoyed with myself right now!:cry:
Hi there

Defo charge extra for french, also have you tried using a striper pen for the white? It's sooo much easier!

Latest posts

Back