French polishing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellabeautie

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Just wondered what white and pink polishes everybody uses when doing a french polish? I am in desperate need of new polishes and dont know which ones to get. I currently use OPI polishes, but I am finding them pretty pants. I was thinking of getting CND polishes, as I use their base and top coats already.

Also, when you apply your polish, do you prefer to do the pink or white first?

I have to say I switched my salon over from CND polishes to OPI. What do you not like about OPI?

I bought them originally as I liked the idea of having a thick brush, but I am finding that the pink colours just dont apply right! (Finding it a bit hard to explain!lol) Ive tried wiping the brush loads when I take it out so its a thin coat, but it still doesnt have an even coverage.And theres nothing wrong with the polishes as they are practically brand new :rolleyes:

Well credit where credit is due, OPI is certainly a well known name where polish is concerned and is very well sold to the end consumer who know the brand through magazine coverage so I think we can safely assume the polish is not pants.

However if you want to know a popular CND combination for French it would be Cream Puff for the White and there are many options for the pink but I love Beau.

I do Stickey base coat.
Coat of Beau
White tip with Cream Puff
another coat of Beau.
Air Dry top Coat.

I use Essie Marshmallow (the best white I've ever used) for my white and Essie Cherry Pop for my pink. It gives a little different look. My base and topcoat are CND. HTH! :)

I do in this order:
CND Stickey
Essie Cherry Pop
Essie Marshmallow
CND Air Dry

i do in this order
1) china glaze white
2) china glaze base coat
3) china glaze pink
4) china glaze top coat

I'm a big fan of the 'natural' look as I just think that toooo white tips just look a bit yuk - but then each to their own!

I use OPI products and have no problem with them:

'Time-Less is more' for the tips
'Privacy Please' for the pink

I always do the tips first so that I can make sure that they are nice & tidy before applying the pink.

Hope this helps

Em x

Last edited:
Thats great, thanks for the replies :)
By the way, no offence was meant by the remark to OPI, its just my opinion on them when trying to do the french polish. I have no problems when applying one colour to the whole nail. Maybe its just me being stupid with it!
I cant remember what the names of polishes that I use, I must have a look and see if they are the same!
I do like the idea of applying a layer of pink, then white then a layer of pink again. I may have to try that! :wink2:

actually that's a pretty good tip - will give that a go - pink then white then pink again!

Absolutely no offence taken - just curious! You have to find a product you are happy with - one size does not fit all so to speak!

I have only now started offering manicures at our salon, and as I use CND for gel enhancements, I opted for Creative enamels for the manicures.
However, I have quite a few questions about the Creative enamels...

I am curious, how long do you guys let each layer dry before applying the next coat of polish?
Also, I ended up choosing Super Shiney for the top coat, as that was recommended by my CND retailers. I vaguely remember from the training though that it is fine to use as a top coat as it provides a beautiful shiney coat, but should not be retailed for clients with french manicures, as its purple color might turn the pretty manicure purple-ish as well... Is that correct or is my mind playing tricks on me?
And how quickly after the last layer of polish can I apply Super Shiney? How long does it approximately take to dry?

Sorry, many questions for Creative users, but I would appreciate the help as this topic itself was a good read. :)

I am using Sparitual French Tip white, which has a neat little narrow brush, great for application, and Breathless, gives a really lovely finish.

I apply basecoat, french tip, breathless and then topcoat.

I to, am changing to CND polishes, but will be offering Sparitual too (at the moment), due to the fact it is Formaldehyde, Toulene and DBP free.

Hth's

I have only now started offering manicures at our salon, and as I use CND for gel enhancements, I opted for Creative enamels for the manicures.
However, I have quite a few questions about the Creative enamels...

I am curious, how long do you guys let each layer dry before applying the next coat of polish?

Also, I ended up choosing Super Shiney for the top coat, as that was recommended by my CND retailers. I vaguely remember from the training though that it is fine to use as a top coat as it provides a beautiful shiney coat, but should not be retailed for clients with french manicures, as its purple color might turn the pretty manicure purple-ish as well... Is that correct or is my mind playing tricks on me?

And how quickly after the last layer of polish can I apply Super Shiney? How long does it approximately take to dry?

Sorry, many questions for Creative users, but I would appreciate the help as this topic itself was a good read. :)

I am curious, how long do you guys let each layer dry before applying the next coat of polish? I don't wait for anything. I apply Sticky base coat and then immediately go to polish. As soon as I finish the first thin layer I apply the 2nd thin layer of polish and then immediately my top coat of choice.

Also, I ended up choosing Super Shiney for the top coat, as that was recommended by my CND retailers. I vaguely remember from the training though that it is fine to use as a top coat as it provides a beautiful shiney coat, but should not be retailed for clients with french manicures, as its purple color might turn the pretty manicure purple-ish as well... Is that correct or is my mind playing tricks on me? I'm afraid your mind is playing tricks on you. Super Shiney does not discolour any polish and is perfectly suitable for use over a French manicure or any other colour. You can retail it to any client.

And how quickly after the last layer of polish can I apply Super Shiney? How long does it approximately take to dry? You can apply immediately. Super Shiney is a pretty quick drying top coat and I have used it for more than 20 years. The new Air Dry is a bit faster drying and super protective too.

Super Shiney is perfect for clients to buy to add another coat after a week or so to refresh the look of their nails.

I am curious, how long do you guys let each layer dry before applying the next coat of polish? I don't wait for anything. I apply Sticky base coat and then immediately go to polish. As soon as I finish the first thin layer I apply the 2nd thin layer of polish and then immediately my top coat of choice.

Also, I ended up choosing Super Shiney for the top coat, as that was recommended by my CND retailers. I vaguely remember from the training though that it is fine to use as a top coat as it provides a beautiful shiney coat, but should not be retailed for clients with french manicures, as its purple color might turn the pretty manicure purple-ish as well... Is that correct or is my mind playing tricks on me? I'm afraid your mind is playing tricks on you. Super Shiney does not discolour any polish and is perfectly suitable for use over a French manicure or any other colour. You can retail it to any client.

And how quickly after the last layer of polish can I apply Super Shiney? How long does it approximately take to dry? You can apply immediately. Super Shiney is a pretty quick drying top coat and I have used it for more than 20 years. The new Air Dry is a bit faster drying and super protective too.

Super Shiney is perfect for clients to buy to add another coat after a week or so to refresh the look of their nails.

Oooh, thank you for the quick reply Geeg! :hug:

I love super shiney, I have to say all the CND polishes are great

I prefer OPI polishes, I think CND have a better colour range and I especially love their shade of silver and they have a beautiful bright blue colour, but I can get OPI polish to last about 4 weeks on my toes, whereas the CND ones start to chip after a couple of weeks, I use the CND shiney top coat, but think I'll have to try the Air Dry as its getting mentioned a lot on here :)

I have to say Air Dry is great too! I was using Super Shiney most times, but use Air Dry more now. To whoever said about the french polish going a bit purple-ish when using the super Shiney.... I also found this sometimes, but I firgured out that I was applying the coat too thick! Thinner coat and its now perfect xx

i have not tried air dry...but i have not had any problems with super shiney...i love it...but will get an air dry on my next order just to try it.
the enamels that i use for french are....creme puff....defo better than the retro white (didnt like that one) but i also use a shimmery ivory white sometimes called cold shoulder......i particularly love this one, then for pink...hmmm i have loads......tres femme is one, negligee and any of the ones from that last collection that came out...i like the clearly pink and the nail gloss.
I have to say i do have a few OPI enamels as well as some others but personally i just cant get on with them.....they just seem to go on too thick when i use them...and i really dont like the pro wide brush.

To whoever said about the french polish going a bit purple-ish when using the super Shiney.... I also found this sometimes, but I firgured out that I was applying the coat too thick! Thinner coat and its now perfect xx
That would be me whoever.. :green: And thanks, good point, applying Super Shiney thin enough ensures no french smiles going purple! :)

I use orly french manicure products and they have a very thin brush for tips .\\really easy to apply and great to work with xx:)

Latest posts

Back