French Shellac - bubbles in the white, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

£Faye£

Reaction score
Hi, did my first French shellac on Thursday night for a friend as one of my NVQ case studies. Although it took me an hour and a half, I was really pleased as have only ever done this once before at that was on my course last year!

Anyway, she has just text me saying that bubbles have appeared in the white on her thumb nail.

I followed correct shellac procedure, have cnd lamp etc etc. rolled polishes instead of shaking too. A, really gutted to hear this so want to make sure I know why and avoid it again!

Any help, advice much appreciated as always

There could be a few reasons why this has happened, you say you rolled the polishes instead of giving them a shake?
CND Shellac needs to be shaken to mix the solids and solvents together otherwise you will be using only the solvents making the Shellac thick and glooby.
You could of applied the white a little thick and not noticed a wrinkle before applying your top coat, which would have disguised them.

Have you taken a CND Shellac class? You will get loads of tips to help you perform a great treatment.

£Faye£;1577995 said:
Hi, did my first French shellac on Thursday night for a friend as one of my NVQ case studies. Although it took me an hour and a half, I was really pleased as have only ever done this once before at that was on my course last year!

Anyway, she has just text me saying that bubbles have appeared in the white on her thumb nail.

I followed correct shellac procedure, have cnd lamp etc etc. rolled polishes instead of shaking too. A, really gutted to hear this so want to make sure I know why and avoid it again!

Any help, advice much appreciated as always

I have never heard of bubbles appearing AFTER the product has cured! Does she mean it is lifting? Surely you would have noticed straight away when they came out of the lamp? Dont take what people say as true until you have seen the evidence ...
I have personally never seen any bubbles in Shellac, but appearing after cure ??? No ... I would say not.

There could be a few reasons why this has happened, you say you rolled the polishes instead of giving them a shake?
CND Shellac needs to be shaken to mix the solids and solvents together otherwise you will be using only the solvents making the Shellac thick and glooby.
You could of applied the white a little thick and not noticed a wrinkle before applying your top coat, which would have disguised them.

Have you taken a CND Shellac class? You will get loads of tips to help you perform a great treatment.

Hi there,

Yes I have had the Shellac training. I was actually told there to turn the bottle upside down and roll rather than shake. Just realised I hadn't mentioned I had them upside down in my original post, sorry.

£Faye£;1578038 said:
Hi there,

Yes I have had the Shellac training. I was actually told there to turn the bottle upside down and roll rather than shake. Just realised I hadn't mentioned I had them upside down in my original post, sorry.

I'm sorry that you were told that as it is incorrect, it is very important that you shake the bottles (base, colour and top) before you use them to as I said make sure all the solids and liquids are completely mixed before application.

I have never heard of bubbles appearing AFTER the product has cured! Does she mean it is lifting? Surely you would have noticed straight away when they came out of the lamp? Dont take what people say as true until you have seen the evidence ...
I have personally never seen any bubbles in Shellac, but appearing after cure ??? No ... I would say not.

Hi Geeg,

Many thanks for your reply. I have just asked her to try and send me pic of the offending nail and have quizzed if she has been using any chemical products or anything strange just I case too. There was certainly nothing there on Thursday.

Thankfully practising loads on friends and family for case studies is excellent training/ research so I can ensure if any odd things like this crop up I will at least know a bit more about it. I will also ensure that I do another French shellac on her in a couple of weeks time and see how that goes.

I'm sorry that you were told that as it is incorrect, it is very important that you shake the bottles (base, colour and top) before you use them to as I said make sure all the solids and liquids are completely mixed before application.

Oh dear that is worrying then. I am actually doing work experience with my shellac trainer so will quiz her next week about this.

Thank you very much for the quick replies.

£Faye£;1578048 said:
Oh dear that is worrying then. I am actually doing work experience with my shellac trainer so will quiz her next week about this.

Thank you very much for the quick replies.

Are you sure she is actually an authorised CND education ambassador? Might be worth checking this, you should be able to find the info on the sweet squared website.

Are you sure she is actually an authorised CND education ambassador? Might be worth checking this, you should be able to find the info on the sweet squared website.

Yep she is. I got her details from Sweet Squared when I was looking at local courses. She is still a current ambassador as well.

I will ask her about it again next week and see what is advised. Hopefully it's just a case of us getting our wires crossed or something as she has been a huge help and support.

Thank you ladies for the replies and help

This has happened to me!! With a French application also.

I did my first French on Thursday and my client (who is a close friend) sent me a text yesterday stating that a tiny bubble had appeared at some point yesterday. It definitely wasn't there before. So, this bubble took approx four days to appear. Eh?!?! :eek: Any advice anyone?

Thanks very much in advance.

I have had bubbles but before curing stage and when they then go in the lamp they obviously harden. Managed to disguise them with a second colour coat and top coat but not ideal.

I was told could be applying too thick, i changed my cnd lamp bulbs too. Also could've been in the PEP isn't done 100% and not all the debris is removed from nail.

It's weird as i've been getting it happening quite a lot lately with lots of diff colours new and old.

x

I have found this happens if there is debris on the nail bed. Scrub real well with Scrub Fresh!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

Hello geeg,

I know it might sound strange but this has happenned to me. I did my Shellac training earlier this year.

When I did french shellac on myself I checked the nails when they were finished and they looked perfect but the next day I have noticed the air bubbles appearing on the white shellac, and the next day there were even more. I am still very puzzled about this. The next time I did french on myself I made sure that I checked for any bubbles before curing the nail, didn't seem to have any until the next day.

Not really sure what to do and how prevent this happening in the future...

Hate to say this happened to me as well. There were three things I changed and the bubbles disappeared.

1. I stopped tidying up my smile line with IPA
  2. I made sure my Studio White was applied nice and thin
  3. I applied my top coat nice and thin
No more bubbles.

Latest posts

Back