Friends cancelling and expecting cheap treatments from me

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nenee

Reaction score
Hi there

Just wondering how to deal with friends with regards to my beauty business

I offered to do shellac a few times whilst getting the hang of it in friends and nOw they don't even offer to Pay

I also have a friend who expects me to fit in around her and wanted me to do her nails On a bank hOliday Monday, I couldn't due to going ou with the family and offered to do the sun. She wasn't happy cause her hubby wanted to play squash and would have to cancel to look after their son she agreed reluctantly but then cancelled 2 hours before I was due to arrive

The previous time I tried to apply shellac but she kept asking to check on her son in the garden when I'm trying to do my job

Iv mentioned I can't do a professional job if she needs to attend to her son due to her hands being sticky and in the lamp etc

How do I approach the payment side of things and working around her child?

I'm mobile but prefer to work from home but she won't come to mine

I try and be flexible but I'm not sure if I'm being a push over

I charge her £10 for shellac

I want to get this sorted because I'm doing eyelash extensions this week and don't want the same thing happening there
;-)

mention money before mentioning what you do ...

Firstly id tell her next time she rings that your putting the price upn as you are no longer practicing.If she isnt prepared to pay more let her go.Shel soon realise she cant get shellac anywhere for that price.
As regards to children.If its causing you a problem when at hers,just be direct and tell her your not covered on your insurance to carry out treatments with under 16s present due to equipment/nail products etc.

Failing that change it slightly and turn ther tables a little.Next time she rings explain you really would like her to come to yours,make it for an evening or last client of the day time and say youl get some wine in and you guys can use the time for a good catch up.Maybe that will deter her from wanting to be at hers with the children.
Once she comes to you and has peace and quiet during the treatment she will probably realise how much nicer it is to have nails done and relax.
If shes always trying to fit her nails in as a rush job,shes not looking at it like a pamper treatment,shes looking at it more like a chore so try and get her to see it differently.

Failing all of the above sack her as a client x

Firstly id tell her next time she rings that your putting the price upn as you are no longer practicing.If she isnt prepared to pay more let her go.Shel soon realise she cant get shellac anywhere for that price.
As regards to children.If its causing you a problem when at hers,just be direct and tell her your not covered on your insurance to carry out treatments with under 16s present due to equipment/nail products etc.

Failing that change it slightly and turn ther tables a little.Next time she rings explain you really would like her to come to yours,make it for an evening or last client of the day time and say youl get some wine in and you guys can use the time for a good catch up.Maybe that will deter her from wanting to be at hers with the children.
Once she comes to you and has peace and quiet during the treatment she will probably realise how much nicer it is to have nails done and relax.
If shes always trying to fit her nails in as a rush job,shes not looking at it like a pamper treatment,shes looking at it more like a chore so try and get her to see it differently.

Failing all of the above sack her as a client x
Thanks huni

I'm thinking of sacking her :-(

Her husband works away but she expects me to work around his shifts I mean what salon would do that or work a Sunday or bank holiday or start about 8.30 and not finishing until midnight as doing hands feet and nail art??

I find it hard to say no due to a friend but she doesn't think twice about cancelling on me last minute when I could of seen a full paying client

Do you treat friends and how much discount do you offer?

:)

Hi

Sorry this may sounds harsh but if my friend behaved like that Id be considering how much of a friend they really are?!

My best friend in the whole world paid me for her last tan even tho I said not 2! (it was her birthday so just spent it back on her along with the prezzie I had already brought her!)

I def echo the advice given maybe try a confirmation text the day before her appointment with the cost on there as well?

Good luck x

I have a problematic neighbour that always cancels last minute and makes a laim excuse for why she is cancelling drives me nuts but she does advertise me and i discount her for this then this morning she called me at 8am asking if she could come round for a quick nail repair :sad:

When i first started and when i get new treatments in the only person i practise on is my mum and she pays the product price, every single friend and family member i charge full price, i dont give any discounts, my whole business began with my friends and family being my clients so if i offered them all discount i wouldnt be making any money at all. They are all happy paying full. Sometimes if one of my friends or clients reccomends alot of people, one of my friends recc 8 people to me and i offered her a free treatment, but only a treatment of something she hadnt had before, not her usuals. I find this woks for me as its fair if they all know they pay full price.

Girl, with friends like that in business who needs enemies..

Keep her as your friend but sack her as a client. If you cant tell her straight then just always be "fully booked" or "finished for the day"

If she really pushes for a treatment then charge full price, if she is a real friend she will understand that you are turning another full paying client away to do her nails. Also use the insurance thing about children. It is very difficult to do a good job with all the distractions children cause.

Hope it turns out well, it is so hard to be firm with friends, but would you treat her this way if the tables were turned?

You really need to start the way you mean to carry on, letting things build up just causes problems later. So have that glass of wine, take a few deep breaths and tell her the way it is going to be from now on. :Love:

I think iv started out all wrong and people will always take advantage

I'm thinking of cancelling on the day of her next apt with a lame excuse to get our of earning £20 for 3 hrs of work doing hands and feet and nail art

Then it will cost me about £5 in petrol to get there and back :-(

I need to he more business minded me thinks

Thanks everyone x

Good luck love, it can be hard especially when you need the money. But dont let them walk all over you. Imagine a fabulous wedding party trying to call you and you are stuck doing mani and Pedi unable to answer the phone.:wink2:

I only give my closest friends a discount, but its still more than half price.
I did my friend's and her sister's nails last weekend and they turned up 1 hour and 45 minutes late. Then another friend this week was 35 minutes late. Grrrr!

How about next time you feel bad, not wanting to say no, you firstly think about just how bad she is feeling with all those demands!

My guess is, not very!

You could try sending out a blanket text, thanking all your friends for helping you to increase your portfolio of work, but from this date, you will be charging this amount for this treatment and will be carrying them out at your salon. Due to insurance, no children allowed.

You could pretty it up, but by no means ever bend the rules that you choose to make, unless you want her to get her demands met again.

She can then make the choice if she wants you to continue to do her nails.

How about next time you feel bad, not wanting to say no, you firstly think about just how bad she is feeling with all those demands!

My guess is, not very!

You could try sending out a blanket text, thanking all your friends for helping you to increase your portfolio of work, but from this date, you will be charging this amount for this treatment and will be carrying them out at your salon. Due to insurance, no children allowed.

You could pretty it up, but by no means ever bend the rules that you choose to make, unless you want her to get her demands met again.

She can then make the choice if she wants you to continue to do her nails.

That's a fab idea!!!! I think il do my eyelash training and after iv finished case studies will send a text to all and then I start as I mean to go on which is to make money ;-)

Thanks everyone
X

Latest posts

Back