Friends don't make the effort

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuntersMumma

Reaction score
Hi all :) I'm a self employed hairdresser and rent a chair in a salon. I have a situation of a best friend and her mum who is my mums best friend don't come to me for there hair to be done.

I find it disheartening. They live like the next town away which takes about 15 mins to get to me. I thought they would make the extra effort to support me. It's not like I would charge full price anyways. Even though I'm priced really well anyways for my area.

Anybody have the same sort of thing?

Maybe they just like the hairdresser they already go to.
Changing hairdressers is a really big deal, well it is for me. You just get so used to the one person doing it exactly the way you want it that you don't want anyone else to touch it!
Don't take it personally, and I am sure you will soon build up just as loyal a clientele.

I know you tell us in the thread that you are a qualified hairdresser, but you have failed to put it in your profile, could you please, as it will save you having to mention it again in a thread.

Thanks :) I'm 2 years in being self employed and I am just seeing a light and the end of a tunnel :) starting to get established. Just thought closest of friends would back me. They don't seem to have a regular hairdresser either. Maybe they are just funny people haha.

I tried to update my details haha. But i can't find where to do it :/ I just about managed to change my profile pic haha.

My sister in law & my niece who live 10min drive from me go to someone else for their nails.....

And I do CND nails and much nicer ones :)

It hurts but not much can be done x When I asked my niece to like my FB page and recommend it to her friends I got completely ignored.

We have to learn a hard way that the business is us and only us... No one else will help x

Majority of my friends go to other hairdressers, because like others have said, they already have a hairdresser, which is totally fine, it doesn't mean they're not supportive :) xxx

I think some people don't like to go to family and friends because it can make things awkward if they don't like what they have had done and with payment.

They may not want to take advantage xx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek mobile app

personally i think its better to keep friends and business separate. Its much easier for friends/family to tell a complete stranger if they dont like what has been done plus some people just prefer to go somewhere they are not known so that they can just relax and have some me time if you see what i mean.

dont worry about friends just concentrate on clients that you have and letting them recommend you xx

I have to say my friends and some of my family don't come to me. I put this down to me doing them for free when I wasn't very good lol in the beginning. To be honest I would probably do to cheap if they came to me so I prefer my full price paying clients. If you want them to try you give them a gift voucher for birthday or Christmas xxxx

Don't assume it's a forever thing. It might not be.

They may be wary in case you don't do it right for them and they are worried about upsetting you. Or just like trying different hairdressers. It doesn't mean they don't love and support you.

I only do friends and family if they ask me to. I'd never solicit their business as I wouldn't want them to feel uncomfortable.

I used to do a good friend really really cheaply when training and I did a great job. She had highlights plus flooding between the foils and a one length cut. Always looked fab and she loved it. However, a new neighbour moved in next door with children the same age. New neighbour was also a hairdresser so my friend decided to use her. She uses box colours (!!)

However, my friend isn't that bothered about her hair, just wants to cover the grey, and her neighbour is willing to babysit and share school pick ups etc. If you have young kids, you'll appreciate why this is more important to my friend.

Initially, I felt miffed as I thought she didn't appreciate how much effort I made in making her hair look fab. Now, I realise that it wouldn't have occurred to my friend that I would be bothered as she knows I'm doing ok and it made perfect sense to support her neighbour in this way.

Also, now I charge more realistic prices, I think my friend would struggle to afford me to be honest. It also means I don't have to continue doing discounts, so a win:win all around. I know my friend would still happily recommend me, if asked. And she knows I'd never use cheap products or OTT products. :)

I was reading something yesterday about how to grow a thicker skin (I'm very over sensitive which I hate) and it said 'not everything's about you' and this kind of applies to this thread, don't take it personally and it probably isn't anything to do with your skill or you as a person. Maybe they already have a good relationship with their hairdresser or beauty therapist and don't want to change it.
People can be very fussy about their hair, and I agree sometimes business and friends and family don't mix plus they tend to want it done cheaper.
Don't let it bother you :)

Thanks for this guys :)
I'm going to have to grow a thicker skin. And your right, it's probably best not to mix friends with work. As I'd be working for next to nothing. And where do you draw a line. Lol. Never seen it that way :)

Latest posts

Back