From light blonde to balayage

How is this done? I had my hair “balayage” about a month ago. My hair was very bright blonde and I wanted a more natural warmer and healthier colour. The hairdresser painted very dark almost black hairdye to my roots and then combed it through to the ends making the ends a grey ish colour? Now Its all washed up - I look like I have a horrible dirty blonde with bad roots. What is the normal process of going from blonde to balayage? I’ve only ever seen a dark hair have balayage.

The first pic below is my original colour, I liked it but my hair was so damaged from my holiday (sun, sat water etc)

6D1678A6-919E-44FF-98F7-171AA86AA301.jpeg

Then below is after I had “balayage”.....

1372F1B4-E712-41BB-9406-4C4A548FB8AF.jpeg

And this is it now

C58BD113-C4D6-431E-8448-FC0493483637.jpeg

Haircutz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like the colour has faded. All colour will fade to an extent depending on various factors such as your hair’s porosity, your hair care regime, products used etc.

Thank you for your reply, yeah I think my hair has definitely faded. But I didn’t think it was balayage to begin with? Or is this the process? Painting a dark dye to my roots then combing it through to the ends?

Sounds like the colour has faded. All colour will fade to an extent depending on various factors such as your hair’s porosity, your hair care regime, products used etc.

Haircutz

Super Moderator
Staff member
‘Balayage’ just means to paint by hand. It’s used to give a softer natural look instead of the normal full head/half head woven highlights and the products used could be lightener, colour or both.
What you’ve described sounds like a root stretch, but that could be achieved by using a balayage technique.

Thanks for the helpful info. I thought it was more of a root stretch.

‘Balayage’ just means to paint by hand. It’s used to give a softer natural look instead of the normal full head/half head woven highlights and the products used could be lightener, colour or both.
What you’ve described sounds like a root stretch, but that could be achieved by using a balayage technique.