From Redhead to Light Brown

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyc

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am wanting to change my hair color to a light brown with funky blonde highlights and lowlights but Im currently a redhead. My natural color is med to dark brown and I have been using a color level 7 called Intense Red Meduim Blonde to get it to the desired color.
I want to change it up for the summer and I know that red is more difficult to get out. I was wonder if anyone could tell me the best route to take to get what I want or as close to it as possible.

HELP!!!:cry:

if it is a warm brown u are hopin to achieve, i would be inclined to put a flat base on your hair, for example 6 or 7/0 with wella colour touch, in doing this the red undertones already in ur hair will still shine through but wont be a vibrant red, instead a warm brown, as for the blonde flashes, they are jus going to need to be bleached (depending on condition of hair and amount of times your hair has been coloured, it could be quite aggresivly bleached or else it will look peach) and toned, u probably wont get a white blonde but as long as they can lift it enuff to be toned it shud turn out relativly nice, but bear in mind red is a tough colour to strip out. after that bits of the hair has been bleached, be aware they will need special care, as i say they are likely to be bleached quite aggresivly. . . see what the other guys say, that is just my opinion. . x

I agree with scottiedolly
too the red is going to be a tough clour to tone to a nice base 7
but if you do get the desired colour and bleach that you want
(after a few times that is )

when your dark roots peep through you will need a lift and deposit tint
any ideas youself of what colour are you planning to do your root regrowth with ?

as with being med /dark brown naturally
the roots will probably throw that bit of warmth off again :hug:

it would be difficult to get the colour you desire first time id probably want to get it to a nice warm brown and then put a spatering of hilites in - just afew in case things dont go to plan id do as scotty dolly says , but would use a soft gold toner on the hi- lites as it would go well with any warmth that comes through the tint. i dont think that you would be realistically get it to a cool brown with cool hi- lites and save the condition ( unless you went darker with the brown) on the first or second colour - but it completely depends on the condition and how you treat your hair .

Ok i disagree :D to minimise the red i would be using an ashen tone but as above,realistically you won't remove all the warmth,however it would help to neutralise it somewhat . hth's

Hi, mmm I think test pieces are the way forward here ,

a 7 in colour touch is good as its quite flat ,
but I find the ash tones in the colour touch a bit too ashy

I find that using koleston ash tint , over red hair seems to wash out easier than colour touch

an ash tint would good on the root area as it grows as lift and tone will be needed on the natural base 5 :hug:

clynol do a mixer thats called graphite thats supposed to knock the red out of dark hair bases , but i think even with an ash shade ,if its not dark enougth the warmth will still come through - not red necesserilly .

if u want to neutralise the red, yes put on an ash toner, but i wasnt sure whether u wanted a cool or warm light brown, so u now have two options lol, for the cooler go for ash, for the warmer go for a flat base wit no ash tones. . .x

The fact that you are currently using intense red led me to suggest ash ... just wanted to clarify :D

Latest posts

Back