From terrible balayage to full head of blonde I didn't ask for, please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubsy2018

Reaction score
Hello,

I really need some advice as I can't believe what has happened to my hair and I think it's ruined....

I went to my local hairdresser after having a few cuts with him and asked him for a balayage. I have dark brown hair with previously bleached ends and he said it wouldn't be a problem.

He free handed the colour and then toned it and when he dried it it was obviously ginger. He said to go home and see how it was the next day and I literally had a glowing head...

IMG_20201010_173707.jpg

I complained and asked him to fix it so I went back and he said it would be better to add highlight then toner so he did and I now have a full head of brassy blonde/ginger highlights.

Where do I go from here? He said the problem is most likely that I have lots of red in my hair? I've never had this problem bleaching my hair before and I only normally have it done once a year.

Any advice would be really helpful as I would never ever of asked for a whole head of blonde with my complexion.

This my hair currently on the left and what I asked for on the right.

Screenshot_20201014-192520.png

Thanks in advance x

Hello,

I really need some advice as I can't believe what has happened to my hair and I think it's ruined....

I went to my local hairdresser after having a few cuts with him and asked him for a balayage. I have dark brown hair with previously bleached ends and he said it wouldn't be a problem.

He free handed the colour and then toned it and when he dried it it was obviously ginger. He said to go home and see how it was the next day and I literally had a glowing head...

View attachment 211341

I complained and asked him to fix it so I went back and he said it would be better to add highlight then toner so he did and I now have a full head of brassy blonde/ginger highlights.

Where do I go from here? He said the problem is most likely that I have lots of red in my hair? I've never had this problem bleaching my hair before and I only normally have it done once a year.

Any advice would be really helpful as I would never ever of asked for a whole head of blonde with my complexion.

View attachment 211342

Thanks in advance x
You need to visit a competent hairdresser who's able to create the look you want.
You'll need to have the ends lightened more, then have a root smudge and toner done. In the hairdressers defense your hair looks very dark at the root. If that is your natural colour then it's unlikely to achieve a light coool blonde in one sitting.

What you want to achieve should be do-able. But probably not with your current hairdresser.
Try asking around your friends for a recommendation, but you will probably be charged for a colour correction service now.

I think he was over confident and possibly inexperienced, especially to blame it on your hair being too red! I also feel annoyed on your behalf that he told you to go home rather than admitting he cocked up. Your hair obviously wouldn’t miraculously improve overnight.

What you want to achieve should be do-able. But probably not with your current hairdresser.
Try asking around your friends for a recommendation, but you will probably be charged for a colour correction service now.

I think he was over confident and possibly inexperienced, especially to blame it on your hair being too red! I also feel annoyed on your behalf that he told you to go home rather than admitting he cocked up. Your hair obviously wouldn’t miraculously improve overnight.

Thank you! He contacted me again today and said that another toner will fix my hair. This isn't a permanent fix though is it? As surely it will just wash out and be orange again?

Thank you! He contacted me again today and said that another toner will fix my hair. This isn't a permanent fix though is it? As surely it will just wash out and be orange again?
It's certainly not a "fix" if what you were aiming for was the 3rd photo above.
A toner will help reduce the brassynes that you have at the moment, but of course it will fade off eventually

Agree with @ronray.

Sorry, but his offer sounds ridiculous. A toner will not fix it and won’t give you what you originally asked for. It needs the orange sections lightening further before you can even think about toning any of it.

He needs to refund you so you can go to an experienced colourist.

Hello,

View attachment 211341

View attachment 211342

Thanks in advance x
You definitely have to go to a proper colourist, he needed to take thinner sections and thicker bleach application to lift your hair including using olaplex, highly recommend. Then he needed to put a dark brown like a 5/1 on your roots and root melt, and put a toner on the ends. I work with wella colours and I am a colourist. He doesn’t seem to have a clue, you can not tone something that is not light enough to tone. I wish you luck. Please get a refund!

Nope, go for a full refund on this. Go on Yelp and find a better hairdresser. A toner is not going to save you. If need be, dispute it and give the same pictures you gave us here. I would not go back to this person because they HAVE TO know this is not a fix. They're just trying to shut you up.

Latest posts

Back