Frustrated by salon standards

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrightLight

Reaction score
I have had my nail license for a couple of years but have no actually worked as a nail tech because I have not found the right place to work for. I feel like I am wasting my money paying my license fees. Classy nail salons only want someone with experience, so it's hard to get in. Asian salons only want to hire people like them, Asian. I am thinking that the only way to get experience is to work at a dirty salon to get experience. Let me explain why I say dirty. I just met with an owner who was very nice but she required working on people with nail fungus using gloves. I am seeing this is more common that I don't even know if there really are many salon that follow regulations. Disinfection/sanitation was questionable at the last salon. I mean salon that reuses files and top and base coat bottles greasy with lotions and polishes that are already hardening and was told I needed to use a thinner coat lol. They seem to have no care in the world about this. I feel I went to school for nothing. I found this salon has a few citations, but not sure on what. So, no thanks!

My family thinks I am being picky. That I should use gloves and deal with some of the clients with nail fungus to gain experience saying that this is common. No matter how much I say this is against the rules, people ignore this rule. People don't seem to be bothered by this.

I am losing respect for this industry as a joke. I am paying a fee, so someone gets a salary at the state of regulations and not do anything to clean up this industry. I am sure there are many good nail techs who follow the rules, but it seems many just do whatever to get ahead and bring money even if it's bringing clients with nail fungus to bring a few bucks. I don't know if I can put up with this any more.

Go mobile and work with your standards [emoji38]

And you can always file for a report if you think that certain salons are not up to scratch, at the very least regarding disinfecting/sanitation/health issues

Go mobile and work with your standards [emoji38]

And you can always file for a report if you think that certain salons are not up to scratch, at the very least regarding disinfecting/sanitation/health issues

I would only report so if I could by anonymous. Probably why a lot don't report because your info's required. I can only work mobile like that if employed by a salon or something like that. I don't know, it seems complicated. Only a few are actually in a mobile bus. It's different everywhere. Not that simple. I think a lot of those owners have no idea what they are doing.

Where are you based BrightLight? Your profile doesn't give any detail.

[emoji171]

I would only report so if I could by anonymous. Probably why a lot don't report because your info's required. I can only work mobile like that if employed by a salon or something like that. I don't know, it seems complicated. Only a few are actually in a mobile bus. It's different everywhere. Not that simple. I think a lot of those owners have no idea what they are doing.
You say it "seems" complicated but why don't you look into it further and find out rules and regulations before you totally disregard that option.

The other thing you could look into is an apprenticeship program or something along those lines

I believe it depends on the report. If it's a hygiene problem or a crime your report could be anonymous. Just check with the appropriate office

As I to going mobile I have never heard that you need to be part of a salon. You just need to set your insurance straight (and many people don't even do that!), pack your things and you are done. Where do you live?

It seems to me you want to work in a salon and haven't checked the alternatives! It's only a couple of phone calls to the appropriate services to get the info you need, and you can decide then what to do. Don't give up!

Last edited:
I can empathise with what you're saying OP. When I started out there were so many people who wanted to employ me illegally (below min wage etc) and the decent employers were few and far between and wanted experience so it became a case of being in between a rock and a hard place.

I got my break by working in a spa. They always need staff so I would recommend it. Some people build a career in a spa but loads use it as a stepping stone to something better such as opportunities in a nice small salon.

Latest posts

Back