Frustrated with insurances

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracey louise

Reaction score
hi geeks,im still having trouble sorting out my insurance for doing nails and its driving me mad .
i did a college course back in 2004 gaining a college certificate.i covered nail anatomy,skin diseases,contra indications aswell as doing acrylic and fibreglass nail extensions.
i recently did a 1 day course in uv gel enhancements to allow me to be able to also offer this treatment.

i was told i needed a manicure qualification in order to offer a gel polish treatment such as gelish so i messaged them asking about courses etc.. and i had a message back saying that they would be happy to allow me to do the gelish course without a manicure certificate as i covered most things in my original course and told me to shop around insurance wise as they dont all require a mani cert in order to offer this treatment and put me forward to babtac.i have spoken to them and they said they wouldnt normally but they would in this case insure me as i covered so much in my college course however i would have a problem if somone claimed and i couldnt produce a mani cert so that defeats the object in the first place.they also at first said my uv gel enhancements course they wouldnt cover me for as they dont accredit it but said if the guild does then they would as they are a reputable company.it makes me laugh because untill them the course wasnt good enough and they said they wouldnt so if they dont know how the hell am i suppose to know what i need to do.

i am happy to do a mani course but my problem is ,is that different insurance companies accredit different courses so im worried because my courses will be with different companies etc.. that i will pay out the money to do all this and then not find an insurance company that will cover me for all of them.

anyway im just getting so frustrated with being told different things can anyone give me any advice please i really need help with this.

Ring Salon Gold and ask them if your qualifications are acredited - I believe they accept any accredited certificate, so they would accept them all from different places - mine are from 3 different places and they accept all of my certificates plus I don't have a mani cert but I am covered to do gel polishes on my C&G level 2 nail certificate (we did l&p, gel & fibreglass on the course).

Hi Tracey Louise,

If you would like to speak to one of our advisers, give the Guild a call on 0845 2177383 and we will be happy to help.

HI there
try salonserve. As long as you have actually done the courses you requie and obtained a certificate, it doesnt matter who they are accredited by.

Same as BaggyBear I'm with Salon Gold!! they are a very good company to go with.:D

I am also with Salon Gold just renewed mine now and it literally took 10mins very easy and simple =)

Ring Salon Gold and ask them if your qualifications are acredited - I believe they accept any accredited certificate, so they would accept them all from different places - mine are from 3 different places and they accept all of my certificates plus I don't have a mani cert but I am covered to do gel polishes on my C&G level 2 nail certificate (we did l&p, gel & fibreglass on the course).
thanks for this,do they have a website or a number can call please?
at the moment i just feel like these companies are all about making money for themselves meaning that i need to do one thats accredited by them etc.. as they then make money both ends if that makes sense.x

Last edited:
Hi Tracey Louise,

If you would like to speak to one of our advisers, give the Guild a call on 0845 2177383 and we will be happy to help.
thanks for taking the time to answer my post but unfortunately i have spoken several times to the guild about insurance and everytime i have been told different things with the most recent being they now wont even insure for doing nail extensions without a mani cert. i hope you dont think im being rude as i know its not your fault but how am i suppose to know what i need to do if anything to be fully covered if i keep getting told different things,i must say its made me feel very disheartened about all the courses/work i have already done.

Defintely try Salon Gold.
They are totally Fab. I phoned them today to swap from Nail Tech to Beauty (to cover my spray tanning too) and it was no hassle and no extra charge.
They even covered me to do Gelish without Gelish training, just a mani cert. (although I have done Gelish training, but it meant I could practise on friends/family while waiting for my course). They will also cover me to spray tan pregnant clients, when most other insurance companies say No.
xx

ps, another tip, I emailed my insurance company asking the same questions, so then I had a reply in writing to confirm what they told me in case anything happened (I emailed to ask if I would be covered to use Gelish with just a Mani Cert, or if I need specific training)
x

Last edited:
thanks again for the replies.
i have tried salon gold and they wont even cover me for my college course as its not accredited by anyone even though i did it at college.its unbelieveable how insurance companies can be so different.i could understand if i had just done a one day course but i did a college course and had to do a lot of work for it and yet i could do a one day course which i did and in my opinion was not nowhere near enough to qualify and yet just because it is accredited by the guild i could get insurance,its a joke
i havent tried salon serve yet but i will also try them,wish me luck!
all i can say is im glad car insurance isnt like this then we would all be in trouble

What college course did you do then?

It was a nail technician 4 day college course with about 2 months at home building a portfolio etc.. before the assessment day.it was the only one they offered at the time

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

I would think that if you have been told no by a few insurance providers that the course is just not good enough to gain insurance with anyone.

Maybe you should do a quick 1/2 day course just to gain the qualification as you will already know the basics but you may well learn some new ways of doing things and then you will have an acredited certificate at the end of it and you will be able to get insurance with whichever company you then decide you want to go with.

Thanks for the advice.its not all insurance companies that have said no.its just some have said no because I don't have a mani cert,some have said no because my gel cert isn't accredited by them & some have just said no all together.hence why I'm confused with what I need to do & who with as I don't want to do the courses that are required & then because they are different companies or accredited by different companies to then find that I can't get covered on everything by just one insurance company if that makes sense.
I can speak to the same insurance company & everytime I get told something different so if they don't know or can't decide & make there minds up how am I suppose to know what I need to do.x

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

thanks for taking the time to answer my post but unfortunately i have spoken several times to the guild about insurance and everytime i have been told different things with the most recent being they now wont even insure for doing nail extensions without a mani cert. i hope you dont think im being rude as i know its not your fault but how am i suppose to know what i need to do if anything to be fully covered if i keep getting told different things,i must say its made me feel very disheartened about all the courses/work i have already done.

I am sorry if there has been some confusion. I can confirm that we can offer insurance cover for nail extensions and you do not have to hold a manicure qualification.

Lynne Archer

Try Balens. My insurance is with them, they were very helpful.

There website is Balens Ltd.

Hope you manage to get your insurance sorted out soon

Pauline

Latest posts

Back