Frustrated with salon manager!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesmith5

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I am writing this struggling with stress, frustration, anger, and sadness. I think I should be looking for a new salon to move to or place to rent a room to do my nail business out of because my salon owner/manager casually told me last month that she was closing down the side of the salon that I am on because she can't afford the rent anymore. So, this room that I rent from her will soon no longer be mine. That didn't make me happy because I just paid to have a sink installed in it. But she said she would build me a new room, buy a pedicure throne for me (because the comfy chair and pedi tub setup I have now is too big) and I will move into the new room. Well, I tried several times to talk to her the past couple of weeks to find out what is going on...but there's always some drama going on or something else she is dealing with. Finally, the other night I see an opportunity to talk and I learned that it would cost her $3,000 to put in a water drain to my "new" room, which is really just her old office, so my pedicure throne (which she hasn't bought yet) is going to have to go in the corner next to a well used bathroom, over 20 feet and around two corners, across to the other side of the salon. So, no more quiet room with big comfy chair and private, relaxing pedicures for my clients! Now they are supposed to get their pedicures next to a bathroom (the flushing and potential smell, and the constant interruption of passersby). The back bar is back there so stylists will be coming and going. I have health issues so now I am expected to add thousands more steps to each workday? Another manicurist has her own pedicure station just outside her door but mine has to go across the salon? Ugh! I am so upset! This is her solution? I have paid her more than $3,000 in booth rent...why can't she spend some money on what I need? Did I mention that her office is dimly lit with no ventilation? How the hell am I supposed to do nails like this!? I have been building my business based on my nice, private nail studio where people can come to relax. Clients take one look at my big comfy chair and they want a pedicure! People have even submitted online reviews about my pedicure setup and how much they love it and my private, relaxing room. Now I can see losing clientele because they get a pedicure next to the bathroom. I am so upset! But wait! There's more! I still don't even know WHEN I am supposed to move over to the other side of the salon so the building owner can reclaim the side I and two other girls are on (one is a stylist and the other doesn't do pedicures). So, because I am upset I figured I would talk to the salon owner/manager about all this. I sent her a text yesterday asking to talk about all this. She sent back..."OK." I was between clients today so I texted her to ask if we could talk after my last client later on. She texted me that she had a date. I texted her back and asked if we could talk tomorrow after my last client. She texted back saying she has another date with the same guy. So...I texted her back and asked her what day and time is good for her? So far it has been several hours and she has not responded. At this point I am pissed off and hurt and offended by her behavior. I ran a discount deal, which I will never do again, and have brought over 400 people to her salon. I have never missed a booth rent payment. I don't think she cares that she is going to cause me to lose customers. Either new clients won't come back because they will be grossed out and offended by being next to a bathroom or it's not relaxing :sly: and/or current clients won't return because they like the way my setup is now and will hate the new setup in comparison. Should I just leave? Because I think it's obvious she doesn't want to talk to me. She would rather be on time for her dates than give me 10 to 15 minutes to talk. Wow. I am so sad and frustrated that I just want to cry.

Sent from my HP 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Awwww hun big hugs for you. How frustrating! Seems as though the salon owner has no respect for you and your business.
Reading through ur post it seems as though you've made your mind up to leave as you've listed various vaild points and issues with your potential new layout.
Is it worth trying to get in touch with the actual building owner and find out what is really happening?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Awwww hun big hugs for you. How frustrating! Seems as though the salon owner has no respect for you and your business.
Reading through ur post it seems as though you've made your mind up to leave as you've listed various vaild points and issues with your potential new layout.
Is it worth trying to get in touch with the actual building owner and find out what is really happening?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for the response. I thought of that. Then when I came in to work yesterday morning I saw a sign displayed for customers letting them know that the side of the salon I am on will be closing at the end or this month. So, that's how I found out when we will be moving from our rooms. I am so upset at how this is being handled and how I am being treated. I am looking for a new place to rent now. I hope I find something soon since I only have 2 weeks. Thank you for listening to me go on and on about this. Only you guys can understand. I don't really have anyone else to talk to that gets it. I'm sure things will work out, I just hate having to go through all this stress and fear. :(

Sent from my HP 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi I'm so sorry to hear you are having to go through all this, you must be strong your clients will be loyal and the right place will come up . I had a situation where I rented a tiny room within a hairdressers and after it started to take off and get very busy , I took a weeks holiday , I had worked 7 days a week for 3 years I came back from holiday to be told that she had sold the salon and the new owner did not want me there , I had a lease agreement which I asked to be released from, I had also installed a sink and new floor , it's so demoralising , I am now the owner of my own salon it's all very hard work but it will work out . I told you some of my story so maybe it will spur you on to find something else . Lots of luck hope it turns out good for you xx

Ask the building owner if you can rent directly from him/her??

Sent from my HTC One V using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi I'm so sorry to hear you are having to go through all this, you must be strong your clients will be loyal and the right place will come up . I had a situation where I rented a tiny room within a hairdressers and after it started to take off and get very busy , I took a weeks holiday , I had worked 7 days a week for 3 years I came back from holiday to be told that she had sold the salon and the new owner did not want me there , I had a lease agreement which I asked to be released from, I had also installed a sink and new floor , it's so demoralising , I am now the owner of my own salon it's all very hard work but it will work out . I told you some of my story so maybe it will spur you on to find something else . Lots of luck hope it turns out good for you xx

WOW, demoralising is a good word for it! Your story sounds awful! I'm so glad you were able to make your own future good again. My issue is similar in that you hear news that will disrupt your life and it's like someone pulls a rug out from underneath you. I think what bothers me the most is trying to talk to someone and being ignored. What a slap in the face...as if I'm not worthy. Maybe she's a coward. I don't know. Either way, the result is the same. I feel demoralized but I'm keeping my relentless positive attitude. I know things will work out in the end, I will find a better situation eventually. I will get away from this woman who has a haphazard way of doing business. I will be okay. I know it. But, it's so nice to hear from you guys and get some moral support when I need it most. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :hug:

Ask the building owner if you can rent directly from him/her??

Sent from my HTC One V using SalonGeek mobile app

I wish I could, but I don't have enough $$$$. Rent would be thousands per month and I only make hundreds right now. I'm still building my clientele. Plus, I don't want to have employees and I would have to hire people or rent space to others to make the rent. It's not my desire to have a salon of my own. I don't want the hassle of having to make sure people pay me what they owe me, people leaving, having to take care of customer complaints, etc, etc. It takes a strong person to run a salon. I may have opinions on how it should be done, from my perspective, but I don't have the desire to do it myself. :Scared:

It's been several months since I first posted this thread. I was really really upset and stressed at what was happening. I did find a new salon to rent space in. My whole situation changed. I went from having a private room in a big, full service salon that had lots of street traffic and walk-ins to a small, neighborhood salon with no street traffic, no private room, barely any walk-ins and an aging clientele. Oh well, it's nice to get away from crazy salon owners who don't give a damn about you and your business to a different crazy salon owner who at least cares about you. Oh my, can I just find a level-headed business woman/man who knows how to run a business? I swear that sometimes someone is playing a cosmic joke on me! Ack! Anyway, my update was to let everyone know who reads this thread that I found a new place to work from and am plugging away, every day, to build my clientele. Thank you all for listening! :hug:

Latest posts

Back