Frustrated!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes i did my NVQ level 2 AND NVQ level 3! so yes these were add on courses xx

That's my point, these courses are designed as add ons not just to build a career on just them with no beauty background, no A&P or background knowledge xx

If someone done a one day food hygene course and read a few recipe books and bought some nice ingredients would you call them a professional chef?
Or would you call someone who went to culinary school and done work placements in busy kitchens a professional chef?

You are obviously one of the very few who are actually good at what they do and have seen it as a career rather than a quick way to make money so don't be offended but on a whole I think its a big problem for the beauty industry and I can't see my opinion on that changing.

I went to a private school for make up artistry, cost a fortune, I've worked at fashion week, gok wan roadshow and other events and there's a girl in my area who does hd brows and shellac just done a course with fresh minerals for a day and bought some mac make up and is charging half my price for make up, now I know she doesn't have the same experience and if people ask to see pictures of work she won't have any but the area I'm from alot of people come here to get married so they are not going to know she's only done a one day course they will assume she is fully qualified and experienced and it won't be til they get her for a trial they will realise then on all these wedding forums you have brides chatting saying watch what your doing in that area I had a make up disaster! It reflects badly on everyone!

Yes I'm very passionate about beauty and I enjoy it, it's my whole life.

I agree we're you are coming from, I've seen courses on Groupon! But I think in saying just people who do one day courses are the ones to blame for the low prices.

There's a girl in my area who does nails for £10 and isn't trained, hasn't even bothered doing a one day course.

There's also a girl who went college doing spray tans for £7.50

So it's not just the people who do a course for a day.

Like I said if I did something I didn't feel confident with I wouldn't do it, like nails, I'm trained but not very well so I don't offer them.

I don't disagree with short courses as I feel it is the experience after you train with is key.
I started at the very bottom did some really ****ty jobs but had it not been for those ****ty jobs I would not have the standards nor be the therapist I am today.
To be honest I was always a bit naughty at college, pushed every boundary set ( I was a typical pain in the arse teenager)out of the other girls in my course who won student of the year and were very studious I am the only one actually still working in beauty therapy 18 years later..

However I get very annoyed with people who think mmmm what job can I do that's easy I know I'll go and do a one day nail course, buy my products on eBay and charge peanuts. Then advertise as " why get ripped off paying £20 plus for gel nails wnen I'll do them for a tenner" grrrrrr

I can't go and do a college course unfortunately - those that there are are not close by or at times I can/could do... so I chose to pay more to go with a recognised training facility and get individual qualifications. Even my ITEC course was weekends (ok a lot more than 1 day!) but I am getting more and more irritated at those who have gone to college and look down their noses at others... I might be "new" at beauty but that does not make me less dedicated at this! Even in the short time I've been in the industry I've come to realise that there are just as many "bad" therapists coming out of colleges with NVQs as there are "day coursers"... I do think there should be a set "exam" for subjects to gain a recognition that is official - I don't know if all of them need to be ITEC level although maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing...

I'm just tired of being judged because I wasn't fortunate enough to be able to choose the same path into beauty as others... like it makes me a rubbish therapist and a fraud :(

I DON'T use cheap materials, I have practised and practised and I have gone through official channels and it narks me that we so often ALL get tarred with the same brush... rant about BAD therapists - not how therapists were trained :)

*steps off soapbox*

:D you tell em! ... same boat ... Same opinion, good on ya :p
X

the industry is growing so fast that it is enevitable that people will jump on the band wagon.
its very hard to identify one group of people that are more to blame.
It took me 4 yrs of working for free assisting people in the session world before i could do jobs in my own right. It doesnt take people that long now, but thats just the way it is.
i went to college 5 long days a week for 3 yrs to become a hairdresser /beauty therapist, but it wont take my daughter that long as i will train her and pay for her to receive the best training from the biggest and best brands.
the people that will succeed in this industry are passionate, driven and who find the best education and trainers/mentors.
also, dont hover too much on price wars, you dont want the clients that want the cheapest. buck the trend, do the best job and charge the most!
you will maybe get less clients, but will earn the same!

I used to live in Thailand wiith my dad, i went to school however came back with no gcses so didn't get into college.

I have a friend who went college, when she felt like it, and she passed, she did no work nor cared about it, she was out drinking everynight and went college after, so I think you are judging someone like me who has worked hard learning, spending money with some of the top training companies. I actually feel really offended by you saying I'm not professional. And basically saying I don't know what I'm doing or am very good at it :( just cos I didn't go college!

Completely agree with you I get offended by people assuming that I'm not proffessional or good at my job. And as for not learning anatomy and physiology etc in a one day course...I don't think you can comment on how much you learn unless you have been to one, and second to that it's not that difficult to sit and learn at home... We all did biology at school lol

Eeeep im going to comment on this thread and im a one day course
girl.

I think some great points have been made already... it takes a whole lot more than say a one day, five day course, two week course, nvq etc to be a professional. The level of education depends very much on how good your trainer is (mine was liza above :) ) but as we all know this is just the beginning of your career. Its what you put in after that continues to see you grow in to a professional.

My sis completed level 2 and 3 beauty love her but she cant polish for toffee and she admits that herself, she doesnt know how to correctly file a nail and her cleaning of nail tools and files is out of date. Why? Because she sat her qualifications many years ago. Granted she never continued her career after college but she thinks she knows it all as shes more qualified than me. The point im trying to make is one of the most important things for everyone whatever route we take further education and training, keeping up to date with industry standards etc etc need to be maintained.

I dont think for one moment one day is all i need im looking to book more nail courses this year and beyond that. But that should also be the case for everyone whatever level youre at or qualification you hold.

Sorry op i dont think its just the one day brigade (as we're affectionately known on here lol) who are undercutting, from what ive seen in my area it techs, therapists from all educational backgrounds, maybe its different for you in your area hun.

I think we should all concentrate on our own abilities and businesses. Clients vote with their feet and most thank god know the difference between a good and a bad job.

Just my two penneth there lovelies no harm no foul.

Love n hugs x x x

I said in another thread the other day that there will always be people jumping on the bandwagon, offering sets of nails for the price of a bar of soap and there will always be people willing to be guinea pigs and pay them for their 'services'. That will never change. There will always be the chancers; the ones who see pound signs in front of their eyes and jump right in, desperate to grab the money of anyone who's foolish enough. They are the people who annoy me and do the industry a disservice.

To the people here saying they've done one-day courses and turned out alright well you've obviously got something different, something special - passion. That's what the rest of us have for the industry and that's a fabulous thing to have - in anything! I can only hope it continues to grow and thrive in you all. However, I will never, ever know how it's possible to learn the amount of A&P needed in one simple day - the routines for some things, fair enough - but the sheer amount of muscle/bone/nerve/conditions/contraindications/indications... :eek:

But then I'm a real every-day's a training day girl :biggrin:

I said in another thread the other day that there will always be people jumping on the bandwagon, offering sets of nails for the price of a bar of soap and there will always be people willing to be guinea pigs and pay them for their 'services'. That will never change. There will always be the chancers; the ones who see pound signs in front of their eyes and jump right in, desperate to grab the money of anyone who's foolish enough. They are the people who annoy me and do the industry a disservice.

To the people here saying they've done one-day courses and turned out alright well you've obviously got something different, something special - passion. That's what the rest of us have for the industry and that's a fabulous thing to have - in anything! I can only hope it continues to grow and thrive in you all. However, I will never, ever know how it's possible to learn the amount of A&P needed in one simple day - the routines for some things, fair enough - but the sheer amount of muscle/bone/nerve/conditions/contraindications/indications... :eek:

But then I'm a real every-day's a training day girl :biggrin:

If this was Facebook id hit the like button! Xxx

Completely agree with you I get offended by people assuming that I'm not proffessional or good at my job. And as for not learning anatomy and physiology etc in a one day course...I don't think you can comment on how much you learn unless you have been to one, and second to that it's not that difficult to sit and learn at home... We all did biology at school lol

I have been on one day courses - spray tanning and lash in a flash eyelash extensions as when I was in college these weren't Covered at the time ( I think now they might be but a few years ago they werent) spray tanning was pretty easy as you will all know but it was over in 3 hours and that included waiting about for each other to be tanned, no advise about contra indications at all! And with the lashes it was over in 3.5 hours and that included doing a set!! Again no word of contra indications apart from don't do it on people with stys!! So without my background I wouldn't know anything about contra indications, allergies, anything!! Thee courses were designed as add ons for beauty professionals not for the post man to go on and call themselves a beauty therapist the next day.
But I do agree with the above maybe some people are different than the people trying to make a quick pound doing 1 day courses and have passion for the industry but I do not believe they are as knowledgable as therapists that have studied for years, it's common sense you can't fit into one day what you do in 2 years. No brainer!

Tbh I'm not going to worry or feel down about what someone thinks about me cos I did 1day course, I know im good at what I do and I enjoy it.

In your first post you said about giving up from how frustrated you are. Well maybe you should just do that If your going to get frustrated about it, but personally I would just carrie on and focus on your own business not other people's

Forget what other people charge, charge what your worth, if your good at what you do then people won't go anywhere,

I charge good prices and I'm busy. I get people recommend me. No ones going to recommend someone who isn't good.

I agree maybe I could of learnt more if I went college but I've studied hard and worked hard, so I don't think to be labeled as unprofessional is fair!

I went to college for 3 years and did my nvq level 2 and 3 and i have also done a number of 1 day courses. I can honestly say on both i have met the kind of people your refering to. 70% of my class at college admited that they were doing the course because they are going to have kids soon (these girls were 16 people!!!) and wanted something to do on the side and these girls also got their kit for free from the goverment... these people either didnt finish the course, aren't doing beauty now or are doing beauty and charging stupidly low prices, this was all good for me though because i was teachers pet at college and i was always getting clients asking to come with me (oyeehhhh head expanding) :wink2: haha. also on my 1 day courses there would be around 4-6 other people and atleast 1 or 2 would be single mums or jobless people who said they were only on the course because the goverment had paid for them to do it and they could do it when the kids were sleeping or when they wanted, and yes these girls are the '£7 a tan' girls. Now please don't think i'm putting jobless people and single mums in a bad catagory, i'm just stating facts and telling of my experiences, we all know there are goodies and badies out there :)

I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 years at college but maybe i would of been better off doing a few day courses, week courses so on, with majority of the people being there because they want to learn. I'm quite easily influenced into abit of imature banter and it landed me in trouble sometimes at college, but i'm not sure, i suppose everything happens for a reason and i am perfectly happy with my training.

I think if you have beauty in your heart and you put your all into it, a 1 day course or a 3 year course will give you the same outcome if you're passionate about it and willing to put in the work :D

I went to college for 3 years and did my nvq level 2 and 3 and i have also done a number of 1 day courses. I can honestly say on both i have met the kind of people your refering to. 70% of my class at college admited that they were doing the course because they are going to have kids soon (these girls were 16 people!!!) and wanted something to do on the side and these girls also got their kit for free from the goverment... these people either didnt finish the course, aren't doing beauty now or are doing beauty and charging stupidly low prices, this was all good for me though because i was teachers pet at college and i was always getting clients asking to come with me (oyeehhhh head expanding) :wink2: haha. also on my 1 day courses there would be around 4-6 other people and atleast 1 or 2 would be single mums or jobless people who said they were only on the course because the goverment had paid for them to do it and they could do it when the kids were sleeping or when they wanted, and yes these girls are the '£7 a tan' girls. Now please don't think i'm putting jobless people and single mums in a bad catagory, i'm just stating facts and telling of my experiences, we all know there are goodies and badies out there :)

I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 years at college but maybe i would of been better off doing a few day courses, week courses so on, with majority of the people being there because they want to learn. I'm quite easily influenced into abit of imature banter and it landed me in trouble sometimes at college, but i'm not sure, i suppose everything happens for a reason and i am perfectly happy with my training.

I think if you have beauty in your heart and you put your all into it, a 1 day course or a 3 year course will give you the same outcome if you're passionate about it and willing to put in the work :D

<3 this

What frustrates me is that I took years out of my life. If I'd done a one day course giving up would be so much more of an option but studying to a high level and choosing to take a long time and almost £8k a year course fees and now my 'competition' is people that done a one day fresh mineral course and advertise as MAC make up artists makes me
Wants to pull my hair out!!! I know it
Won't last long and they won't get repeat business because to be Frank they are rubbish but in a small town when people get a bad treatment they can blame the treatment and not the person doing it so I think it will still have a negative effect on my business.
I'm extremely busy, I had weddings every week until December and 15 booked for 2013 already but it's the local evening make up clients that I think will be effected, they may try make up else where and not like it because they person is not experienced and then decided getting your make up done isn't worth it! Like I know loads of people that have been bruised and burnt by waxing and would never get it again .,,, regardless of the therapist.

This post was not aimed at you and was a generalisation so apologies for any offence caused.

Also for anyone interested tinxy who wrote back to this post earlier has started a post of her own with some interesting opinions on it.
Xxx

I do not believe they are as knowledgable as therapists that have studied for years, it's common sense you can't fit into one day what you do in 2 years. No brainer!

Perhaps with a bit of intelligence and effort? And it's not a case of one day and know it all it's spending months reading and studying following your course. Leaning the anatomy of a nail is not the hardest thing in the world... Sorry but it's not! It's not exactly a large area, complex yes but No more so than anything I revised for in a biology lesson at school and the same for contra indications it just seems that people are making it sound a lot more difficult than it is.

One day courses can be great/good/indifferent/bad. College courses can be great/good/indifferent/bad. The length of the course bears no relation to the standard of teaching.

Imho, you are a professional when you are qualified, experienced, licenced/insured, damn good, committed, knowledgeable etc etc etc - a combination of all of these things and a whole heap more.

The course is only the beginning, the professionalism comes later.

Hear, hear. I totally agree. x

Latest posts

Back