Frustrated!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shell-Perfect10

Reaction score
I am really frustrated with people doing one day courses then under cutting prices of actual professionals!!! Is this a problem
People are facing everywhere? It's really making me want to leave the whole industry it's becoming such a shambles! Xxx

I agree with people under cutting prices and standards with it but I've been doing this for nearly 5 years now and started with one day courses... It doesn't make me any less of a proffessional or any worse at my job it just means that I was given all the information needed in a shorter time and worked my butt off practising and perfecting. I don't see why we should all be expected to go to college for so long only to come out of it possibly with poor skills?
Just my opinion, it's a bug bear of mine that people assume that because you did a one day course you are any less talented..

I don't see why we should all be expected to go to college for so long only to come out of it possibly with poor skills?

Surely, this is the fault of the college for providing poor training not the actual course.

Just my opinion, it's a bug bear of mine that people assume that because you did a one day course you are any less talented..

I don't think anyone is suggesting that people who have done a one day course are less talented, simply that for most skills, one day is simply not enough to cover all that is needed to become a professional. Obviously some subjects are fine, spray tanning as an example, but others can only cover the very basic knowledge in the time given.

While not regulated (or only having voluntary regulation) there are national occupational standards in training and one day courses fall short, in some subjects very short of these minimum requirements, which include number of hours spent training.

My own bugbear is that they do not reflect well on the industry. Prices and undercutting is one thing and while I think it's important to value oneself, I don't think anyone who undercharges is doing themselves any favours. I charge a good price and have no problems getting clients - yes, some will go to someone cheaper, but that's fine. What frustrates me is when I get feedback that potential clients won't bother with a treatment because they've had one before and didn't really think it was that good. While this would never become apparent with private clients (they simply would not contact you to get an appointment), it is something that becomes apparent when doing corporate work while offering free (to employees) treatments. This is a real worry.

I have had one day courses in a few treatments including spray tanning of which I attended a level 2 course and did exactly the same module as those studying the level 2. I got exactly the same training and was allowed to hop on and hop off this course to acquire the skills I wanted and could afford at the time It has still taken me over a year and I really have tried really hard after these courses to hone my skills. I have invested time and money. Money which could have been used for my family but i felt it was an investment in our future i can totally understand where some people who are very highly trained get annoyed but there are people who have done one day courses who have lived and breathed beauty and who want to do things properly insurance tax etc updating skills constant

Sorry phone sent before finished. I understand some courses should be more than a day but as I said I did the same training as level 2. I just hope there is room for us all as I would be absolutely gutted to have to give it all up now and say to my other half you know them thousands for equipment and training where just for a bit of fun. :-((

I can't go and do a college course unfortunately - those that there are are not close by or at times I can/could do... so I chose to pay more to go with a recognised training facility and get individual qualifications. Even my ITEC course was weekends (ok a lot more than 1 day!) but I am getting more and more irritated at those who have gone to college and look down their noses at others... I might be "new" at beauty but that does not make me less dedicated at this! Even in the short time I've been in the industry I've come to realise that there are just as many "bad" therapists coming out of colleges with NVQs as there are "day coursers"... I do think there should be a set "exam" for subjects to gain a recognition that is official - I don't know if all of them need to be ITEC level although maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing...

I'm just tired of being judged because I wasn't fortunate enough to be able to choose the same path into beauty as others... like it makes me a rubbish therapist and a fraud :(

I DON'T use cheap materials, I have practised and practised and I have gone through official channels and it narks me that we so often ALL get tarred with the same brush... rant about BAD therapists - not how therapists were trained :)

*steps off soapbox*

But by doing ITEC you aren't what I am referring to, I am talking about someone doing a one day nail extension course, a one day waxing course, a one day make up course and a one day facial course and calling themself a beauty therapist/nail tech/make up artist it's not fair, we have spent years training for someone to pay £100 for a day course then charge half what we do. I don't understand how that is ok?

But I did a 1 day waxing course and a 1 day tanning course so I kinda am... :)

And I paid more than £100 for mine lol where only charges £100???
Granted I'm about to pay a lot more just for a 1 day course in intimate waxing with Andy R :) Can't wait!!! :)

Ironically I started wanting to do massage... hence the ITEC - decided I needed more than 1 string to my bow so did waxing and tanning... found I LOVE the waxing SO much I would be a happy kitten to do nothing BUT waxing... it's just so satisfying!

I did one day courses.

And I think I'm a lot better for it, I worked in a pub saving up.
Started with sienna x spray tanning,Did lvl lashes, and booked to do hd brows

Also my waxing was a 1 day course.

I also did a one day nail course but don't offer nails as i don't feel I'm very good as the course wasn't.

I taught myself threading but did a day course in that after even tho I knew it all.

And so on ....

I don't think it's the people who do one day courses who undercut, I mean in my area there are people who havnt even bothered doing that and offer treatments with no training, or someone who went college but offers £3 eyebrow waxes or £10 tans.

I spent a lot of money doing mine, when I could of gone college for free and learnt!
I use great products and Have trained with good company's, I would never offer something I didn't feel I couldnt do.

I'm insured as well. And yes I think I'm a professional even tho I did one day courses.

i agree one day / 2day courses are good providing they are with a reputable company i did the bio sculpture 2 day course to do my gel nails and a 1 day intimate waxing course with carlton and found both very good xx

..... actual professionals!!!

One day courses can be great/good/indifferent/bad. College courses can be great/good/indifferent/bad. The length of the course bears no relation to the standard of teaching.

Imho, you are a professional when you are qualified, experienced, licenced/insured, damn good, committed, knowledgeable etc etc etc - a combination of all of these things and a whole heap more.

The course is only the beginning, the professionalism comes later.

I spent 3 years training to be a beauty therapist, and found it tough, how can you learn all the anatomy and physiology and technique, contraindications contra-actions etc etc in 1 or 2 days ? Fine for add on's such as spray tan but waxing, facials nails, really ?
I don't believe in price wars I refuse to get involved in that, quality and a personal professional service gets and keeps good, loyal clients . Cheap breads bargain hunters, will always move to the next salon who are cheap.

Hi

A price war can be started by anyone - those who have no training, those who have done short courses and those who have NVQs etc

I think the difference is most (not all) people who charge £5 for a spray tan for example are the ones who havn't had any training any insurance etc. I think people that have had training whether it be one day/two day or two years DO care and want to be a professional and want to offer the best service,
I mentioned on another thread a trade test may be a good idea regarding of the length of course you have attended then if your upto scratch your upto it, but I think if more educational facilities were more flexible e.g evenings, nights even a summer school or flexible learning so maybe the theory bit you could do at home would help more people get those NVQs etc but until then whilst there is a demand for short courses and no regulative authority saying people cant (and on the assumption they still practice like thoses with NVQs and get insurance) people will do what they deem best for their circumstances and why shouldn't they - I would have loved to leave work and do a NVQ two/three years full time but unfortunately this wasnt an option.

xx

I spent 3 years training to be a beauty therapist, and found it tough, how can you learn all the anatomy and physiology and technique, contraindications contra-actions etc etc in 1 or 2 days ? Fine for add on's such as spray tan but waxing, facials nails, really ?
I don't believe in price wars I refuse to get involved in that, quality and a personal professional service gets and keeps good, loyal clients . Cheap breads bargain hunters, will always move to the next salon who are cheap.

I completely agree I just do not believe that someone doing a one day course has the same amount of knowledge as someone doing a 3 year course.
Gel nails, intimate waxing, lash extensions etc are what I'd see as add on courses, once you have done your college course you do these as add ons not just go from an office job to a one day nail course and suddenly your a nail tech.
From the response on this it's clearly a big problem everywhere.
I wonder does this happen in all professions? Do hair dressers not go to college anymore do they just google things then do a one day course, do chefs go to culinary school or do they just read recipe books then do a one day food hygiene course? Etc etc

i agree one day / 2day courses are good providing they are with a reputable company i did the bio sculpture 2 day course to do my gel nails and a 1 day intimate waxing course with carlton and found both very good xx

But did you do a beauty course before hand or did you go straight from a totally unrelated Job to an intimate waxing course? Xx

I spent a lot of money doing mine, when I could of gone college for free and learnt! .

I'm sorry but college isn't the cheaper option, you spend years as a skint student not saving up a fee thousand pound and then doing courses over a few days, added up over time college is the much more expensive option.

I'm sorry but college isn't the cheaper option, you spend years as a skint student not saving up a fee thousand pound and then doing courses over a few days, added up over time college is the much more expensive option.

I used to live in Thailand wiith my dad, i went to school however came back with no gcses so didn't get into college.

I have a friend who went college, when she felt like it, and she passed, she did no work nor cared about it, she was out drinking everynight and went college after, so I think you are judging someone like me who has worked hard learning, spending money with some of the top training companies. I actually feel really offended by you saying I'm not professional. And basically saying I don't know what I'm doing or am very good at it :( just cos I didn't go college!

But I did a 1 day waxing course and a 1 day tanning course so I kinda am... :)

And I paid more than £100 for mine lol where only charges £100???
Granted I'm about to pay a lot more just for a 1 day course in intimate waxing with Andy R :) Can't wait!!! :)

Ironically I started wanting to do massage... hence the ITEC - decided I needed more than 1 string to my bow so did waxing and tanning... found I LOVE the waxing SO much I would be a happy kitten to do nothing BUT waxing... it's just so satisfying!

Salon services courses aren't much more than £100, a girl in my area done a warm wax one for £140 kit was about £60 so now she is a cleaner by day, waxer by night, very much doubt it's getting declared and she's charging very little, I know it won't last as I've heard terrible reports already but it puts people off the treatment as a whole. They'll think oh I'm never getting my bikini waxed again I was black and blue the last time, they tend to fear the treatment not the 'therapist'

I use sienna x tan and have done for ages and a lady got a kit and done a half day course with sienna and done some shocking tans, I've had 5 new customers last week saying they'd like to try another brand I use cos they know someone who knows someone that got that sienna tan from her down the road and it was awful!! It's bad for the industry as a whole giving out certificates to anyone, think I'll just leave it now because I'm
Never going to agree.

But did you do a beauty course before hand or did you go straight from a totally unrelated Job to an intimate waxing course? Xx

yes i did my NVQ level 2 AND NVQ level 3 apprenticeship ! so yes these were add on courses xx

I used to live in Thailand wiith my dad, i went to school however came back with no gcses so didn't get into college.

I have a friend who went college, when she felt like it, and she passed, she did no work nor cared about it, she was out drinking everynight and went college after, so I think you are judging someone like me who has worked hard learning, spending money with some of the top training companies. I actually feel really offended by you saying I'm not professional. And basically saying I don't know what I'm doing or am very good at it :( just cos I didn't go college!

If someone done a one day food hygene course and read a few recipe books and bought some nice ingredients would you call them a professional chef?
Or would you call someone who went to culinary school and done work placements in busy kitchens a professional chef?

You are obviously one of the very few who are actually good at what they do and have seen it as a career rather than a quick way to make money so don't be offended but on a whole I think its a big problem for the beauty industry and I can't see my opinion on that changing.

I went to a private school for make up artistry, cost a fortune, I've worked at fashion week, gok wan roadshow and other events and there's a girl in my area who does hd brows and shellac just done a course with fresh minerals for a day and bought some mac make up and is charging half my price for make up, now I know she doesn't have the same experience and if people ask to see pictures of work she won't have any but the area I'm from alot of people come here to get married so they are not going to know she's only done a one day course they will assume she is fully qualified and experienced and it won't be til they get her for a trial they will realise then on all these wedding forums you have brides chatting saying watch what your doing in that area I had a make up disaster! It reflects badly on everyone!

Latest posts

Back