Frustrating client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie Forster

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I completed the 0PI gel colour course around five years ago and work as a mobile beauty therapist. Over the years I have built my kit up with plenty of OPI gel colour, the new health top and basecoat plus shellac base, a good selection of Shellac colours and the shellac express topcoat. I have a good selection of clients who all love what I do for them. Five years ago I started to do a gel polish every three weeks for a client of mine and over the years her nails have become weaker and weaker. I have continually tried to persuade her to take a break but she point blank refuses and we have now got to a point where her polish is chipping off after just one week. She had a moan at me when this last happened and because I was away on holiday she went to a local salon and have them re-applied. I saw her Friday to do a pedicure, where she told me the nails she had had from the other place were Gellish and were lasting her fantastically, therefore it’s obviously not her nails, it’s my products! I had a quick feedback chat with a handful of my other regular clients who all negated what she said. As much as I love my client, she refuses to take any advice I give her and my feeling is that if she is happy with this at the salon then she should just continue going there. But my question to all of you is , is Gellish really a superior polish that tends to do better on weak and peeling nails? I don’t mind switching to another product if I know it’s better than what I’m already using.

I’ve noticed for some people the Prohealth base doesn’t work well so I went back to the original base coat which seemed to fix the issue. Gelish just might work better for her. I personally don’t think it’s better than OPI they are just different products, I’ve used both I prefer OPI.

It also sounds like she just ignores after care instructions. If she’s happier there let her go there it’s probably not worth hearing her complain yet not take your suggestions.

I’ve noticed for some people the Prohealth base doesn’t work well so I went back to the original base coat which seemed to fix the issue. Gelish just might work better for her. I personally don’t think it’s better than OPI they are just different products, I’ve used both I prefer OPI.

It also sounds like she just ignores after care instructions. If she’s happier there let her go there it’s probably not worth hearing her complain yet not take your suggestions.

Thank you, that’s interesting to hear about the pro health basecoat. For now I have told her to go to the salon she appears to be having the success with. I explained that with all the goodwill in the world, I enjoy her company and my visits to her home to do her nail treatments, however if she’s not happy with what I’m doing for her, and I’m not prepared to invest in a whole new range of gel polish then I totally respect her decision to go elsewhere. Like you say, it’s just not worth hearing her complain and ignore my suggestions.

I've used opi gelcolor, gelish, shellac and artistic color gloss. The only one i found chipped faster was shellac as it's a hybrid rather than a pure gel color. That said shellac also removes the easiest. I'm an opi gel color fan but have recently switched to light elegance and I'm in love with their hard gels. Who knows what they did at the other salon fo make them last. The could put a hard gel layer down first which would make the polish last ages. Or maybe they used a bonder underneath. Who knows.. if she won't take a break you could suggest a thin layer of hard gel to protect the natural nail while it grows out. You could soak off the polish and the head gel will remain underneath protecting the nail from acetone and buffing. Or maybe you'll be happy to be rid of her.

I've used opi gelcolor, gelish, shellac and artistic color gloss. The only one i found chipped faster was shellac as it's a hybrid rather than a pure gel color. That said shellac also removes the easiest. I'm an opi gel color fan but have recently switched to light elegance and I'm in love with their hard gels. Who knows what they did at the other salon fo make them last. The could put a hard gel layer down first which would make the polish last ages. Or maybe they used a bonder underneath. Who knows.. if she won't take a break you could suggest a thin layer of hard gel to protect the natural nail while it grows out. You could soak off the polish and the head gel will remain underneath protecting the nail from acetone and buffing. Or maybe you'll be happy to be rid of her.

I've been curious about the use of a thin layer of hard gel underneath gel polish myself. Are different hard gels better suited for this? I use CND Brisa, and asked my educator if I could potentially do this, and was told it was not advised, as it would create issues and make the nail itself chip and break easier without a proper apex.

I'd be interested to know why her nails have become weaker?
Nails shouldn't need a break. And if she does indeed have weaker nails, they are not going to last without any gel or overlay at all. Yes, Gelish may be stronger but you should also have products in your range to apply to clients with naturally week nails.
Firstly, I would get to the bottom of why her nails are in poorer condition than when she first came to you. Are you being too harsh with the removal?

Latest posts

Back