Full head bleach to balayage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmalb10

Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first post on here so apologies if I'm not quite right first time.. tomorrow I've got a client who is full head bleach and wants a balayage as shown in pic below I use wella but have not used illumina yet can anyone recommend how I'd go about it thanks she has said she doesn't want to be that warm as in the pic please help
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449086684.997955.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449086765.200637.jpg

Sorry the technique I'm fine with it's the colour formulas I'm stuck on

Any ideas guys? I'm thinking 6/07 20 vol and toning through blonde ends with illumina 9/60 pastel would you pre pigment first? Thank you em x

Why darken with 6%?

This color is way too complicated I think to explain via a forum. Without writing a total novel, I would pre-pigment, rinse, blow dry, foil hair with conditioner (to save some of the current blonde), paint between those foils with new root color, process. Then rinse, glaze highlights down at root to take away lines, blow dry. And then lowlight (from a 6--->8--->10) to blend out root to blonde dimension, with some balayage around the face to add brightness and through areas I may want to blend out more. Minimum 6 hour appt. I can't imagine this happening with a basic formulation that wasn't very aggressive on the hair. All using low-peroxide balayage bleach and semi-permeant colors.

Why darken with 6%?
Quick query about your reply! I've only been dabbling in Illumina for a few months, mainly toning. When reading the product info, it says when lifting 1 level /white coverage / darkening ,to use W.P 6% but you question her use of darkening with it? Why would they not suggest pastel for dropping levels Seems bonkers using 20v when you don't need any lift? Are you not exposing unwanted warmth? Excuse me if I'm being a little dense!!

I would not approach this in one appt unless you have all day.
If she was a full head bleach its likely that everything will look warm next to that bright blond.

I've decided I'm going to break up with lowlites 6/07 10vol you're right in questioning why 20 to darken but with all koleston and illumina it says to darken with 20 I was taught this way too hence the reason I was questioning the formulas.. I will advise her that this will be done over a few appointments thanks for your replies

This color is way too complicated I think to explain via a forum. Without writing a total novel, I would pre-pigment, rinse, blow dry, foil hair with conditioner (to save some of the current blonde), paint between those foils with new root color, process. Then rinse, glaze highlights down at root to take away lines, blow dry. And then lowlight (from a 6--->8--->10) to blend out root to blonde dimension, with some balayage around the face to add brightness and through areas I may want to blend out more. Minimum 6 hour appt. I can't imagine this happening with a basic formulation that wasn't very aggressive on the hair. All using low-peroxide balayage bleach and semi-permeant colors.

Haha its a novel in my head! You say pre pig first do u mean all over? Or just where I'd place the dark?

If i were darkening virgin hair I might use 6%, but I'd most likely use 4%. I wouldn't use 6% to deposit color on prelightened hair, would you?

Definitely pastel

I think that settles it!

If i were darkening virgin hair I might use 6%, but I'd most likely use 4%. I wouldn't use 6% to deposit color on prelightened hair, would you?
That's what I mean, personally it wouldn't enter my head but that's what wella is instructing to do isn't it?
I've been with my Colour house forever so I know enough to twerk here and there against manufacturer instructions.. In my head I just can't imagine why they tell you to use 6%?!

Twerk?!
I mean tweak!!

What is pre pigment?

[emoji15][emoji15]
Right we've decided to go all over dark for now then add some hilites in a few weeks so I'm going to pre pig with 8/3 then go strait over with illumina 7/31 for a more darker blonde what do you all think?

Thought I'd update here it is after frying my brain for the last few days this is the result all with 10 vol too [emoji23] thank you!! She loves it I prefer this to Kim's
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449174666.362620.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449174693.742427.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449174712.501490.jpg

Latest posts

Back