Full manicure with gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelancetrainer

Reaction score
[emoji112] hi!

Today I had a lady in for a full deluxe manicure and full deluxe pedicure with gel polish on both.

This includes the usual filing/trimming/shaping nails, soak, cuticle work, pumice, scrub, mask with hot boots or mitts, massage, gel polish. On both the hands and also feet.

How long would you expect this to take?

I take about 1hr 15 mins for a deluxe mani or pedi with regular polish but with the gel polish it took 2hrs for each. So another 45 mins for gel polish. This is too long.

I’m thinking I should perhaps offer the deluxe mani and pedis as a separate visit from the gel polish. Perhaps offer a mini mani when having gel polish. Otherwise I’m going to have to rethink my price.

2hrs for today’s mani with gel polish at £30 same again for pedi. Not very economical.

What’s your thoughts? Do any of you offer a full deluxe mani with gel polish? And how long does it take you? My poor client was here all day by the time I finished her waxing and other bits. Plus it’s a bit tight doing all that at once in a small but reasonable sized room.

I'm not particularly fast compared to a lot of techs on here and I would take 1 hour for a luxury shellac manicure and 90 mins for a luxury pedicure.
Of course you also have to take into account:
  • soaking off old gel (potentially add 2 x 20 mins)
  • working on excess hard skin on the feet (potentially add extra 10 - 15 mins)
  • they might want nail art / foil / glitter
Some clients are much faster than others to work on!

My luxury shellac manicure (£28.50) includes:
  • removal of old gel if needed
  • PEP
  • apply gel polish
  • hot oil or mask in heated mitts
  • massage

My luxury shellac pedicure (£31) includes:

• removal of old gel if needed
  • PEP
  • apply gel polish
  • soak feet in foot spa
  • hard skin removal
  • exfoliate foot & lower leg, rinse off
  • hot oil or mask in heated booties
  • massage

If they want some art, glitter or foils then I add £4 - £7 as appropriate.

Last edited:
Ok great. So your pedicure is similar to mine and you take about 11/2hrs with the gel polish. I think I’m spending too long with the pumice and scrubs but I do like to spend time doing that. I don’t think I could fit gel polish in that time as well. I think I’ll create a mini mani/pedi too and work on my speed with gel polish. I’m a beauty therapist as opposed to a nail tech and rarely do gel polish so I tend to be slow with that.

I used to have them listed separately on my price list.

For Example
Gel Polish Manicure or Pedicure $xx.xx
(includes filing/trimming/shaping of nails and cuticle work, application of Gel Polish).

Deluxe Manicure or Pedicure Service $xx.xx
(includes filing/trimming/shaping of nails, soak, cuticle work, regular Nail Polish, pumice, scrub, mask with hot boots or mitts, massage).
Gel Polish is extra $xx.xx

I also have removal of Gel Polish as a separate price. (I don't charge if I am reapplying, this is generally a charge for someone who wants gel polish removed with no re-application). This could be something you decide at the time if you want to charge for. For example, if you are removing another techs work.

Some clients will have more callus than others on their feet, so perhaps you could incorporate this into your price list, something along the lines of Removal of Excessive Callus $xx.xx
Or to make it black and white, bring in a callus removal service such as Callus Peel or the like and have this listed separately in your price list. Advise the client at the time if you feel it is necessary to use this on them and what the cost will be.

I would suggest you allow a few minutes to assess clients (esp feet) and if you feel extra charges will be required explain this to them at the time. I find most clients are okay if they know what they will be charged extra rather than be hit with a higher cost at the end that they weren't expecting.

If a client has excess callus and you advise there is an extra cost to remove this at least you are giving them the option. If they don't want to pay just do what you normally would but explain their feet wont be super smooth and callus free.

I hope this helps as it can be quite hard to organise price lists and also not to leave yourself short.

Dont sell yourself short and make sure you get paid for your time and effort. Clients have to realise they should be charged for each service and its up to us to educate them. It would be like having your hair coloured and asking your hairdresser to do a quick trim while you are there, you would expect to pay for that.

Thanks bel, I’m doing my prices and also struggling on the nails side also on the callus. I bought the footlogix metal file and callus spray both expensive so I’m not sure how to price the spray in with it not being a callus peel and results not being as dramatic- it’s also time consuming to do it spray/ file poss respray refile etc?

Can anyone advise please!

I am not resident in a particularly pricey area , but I do reflect the salons in and around my location on price.

My pedicures are £25 about an hour in the diary, some more some less if their feet are my previous work. Beauty therapy trained so that means cuticle work and a good thorough treatment. includes varnish , scrub , and massage afterwards.
Mr. Pumice callus softener I use on 3 of my more difficult clients, so I can cut down on my shoulder/ neck strain with scrubbing a lot less. I don't charge extra... I know I should. Ha ha.
A suggestion could be to add a callus pedicure to your list and just do that on its own- upgrade with polish/massage/ gel/ heated bootees etc.
Then when the clients feet are a little more cared for , swap them to a normal pedicure. Decide what condition the feet are at each visit.
Gel polish "upgrade £5" ( I can't be bothered with heated bootees , so I don't offer it...I just don't have the time.) I think it could be an add on say at least £5 extra. Again call it an upgrade.

Manicures £15 includes varnish , massage takes me 45 mins approx.
Gel manicures (dry work) £20 about 45 mins- 50 mins
Add on removal and it's another £5 takes 20 mins more
Add on IBX and it's another £5 takes 10 mins more
Hope that helps

Thanks bel, I’m doing my prices and also struggling on the nails side also on the callus. I bought the footlogix metal file and callus spray both expensive so I’m not sure how to price the spray in with it not being a callus peel and results not being as dramatic- it’s also time consuming to do it spray/ file poss respray refile etc?

Can anyone advise please!

Try Mr. Pumice callus remover and the foot pumice made by the same company. It is excellent and I find no need to keep on reapplying it. Use gloves an follow instructions as it is a caustic product.
Another callus softner I us is by ASP. Fruit acid based callus softener and cuticle softner. Both are good and cut down the scrubbing.

Add on the approx cost of the product by your time taken with the extra treatment. Say £5 per 10-15 mins more.
Finish off the spray you have bought or just use it on the less callused clients if you know what I mean and have a look into Mr Pumice. I love it.

Try Mr. Pumice callus remover and the foot pumice made by the same company. It is excellent and I find no need to keep on reapplying it. Use gloves an follow instructions as it is a caustic product.
Another callus softner I us is by ASP. Fruit acid based callus softener and cuticle softner. Both are good and cut down the scrubbing.

Add on the approx cost of the product by your time taken with the extra treatment. Say £5 per 10-15 mins more.
Finish off the spray you have bought or just use it on the less callused clients if you know what I mean and have a look into Mr Pumice. I love it.

Ah thanks Rosie all that was really helpful I’m going to use it as I work out my pricing. I’m taking the ibx training in 2 weeks too x

Latest posts

Back