Full set on yourself, how long?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helward87

Reaction score
Have a real hankering for some long elegant ballerina shape extensions but just don't think I have the patience to do it on my self (newbie). How long does it take you to do your own nails?! Xx

Oh like 3 hours. I can only do one hand at a time and doing my right hand takes ages! Might be worth getting them done. You could infill yourself after.

Yep, I'm with Krum, at least 3 hours and I have to do them over 2 days. I've discovered (after 12 years of doing nails) that my super soft, bend, thin, natural nails need L&P to be on and fully cured for at least 24 hours before I can file it to shape and final buff. After years of it lifting in Zone 3 literally as I was final shaping I realised my nails just need longer to settle down before putting them under any pressure with buffing. I can whizz round the free edge with a Kaola buffer to remove any sharp edges and over the top with the 1200 grit side of a Kaola and Solar Oil to take away the rough surface a bit, but not pressure at all. Certainly makes you 'sculpt with your brush not your abrasive' as I was taught in my CND training many many moons ago.

Next day I can file to shape and final buff with no problems at all - then however, I have to play the Shellac and glitter game, thank heaven for LED curing :p;)

I don't know of anyone in my area that does enhancements other than your high street NSS salons?! Which is good for me once I've mastered my l&p but since I competed my course I'm a very dubious about letting anyone that isnt trained with a well recognised brand touch my hands - plus they ideally need to use CND so I can rebalance them myself without too much of a kerfuffle.

It's so frustrating [emoji51] xx

I don't know of anyone in my area that does enhancements other than your high street NSS salons?! Which is good for me once I've mastered my l&p but since I competed my course I'm a very dubious about letting anyone that isnt trained with a well recognised brand touch my hands - plus they ideally need to use CND so I can rebalance them myself without too much of a kerfuffle.

It's so frustrating [emoji51] xx

Welcome to the world of a well trained Nail Tech, we're pretty picky about who we let touch our nails, hence 3 hours and we're still not happy :p;)

Takes me about 2 hours 30 mins for gel extensions now. LONG!
Now I have the LED lamp it's quicker, used to be 3 hours ish for everything.

I hate having to sit while the one hand is curing not being able to do anything :p

Takes me about 35-40 mins with a colour as I don't take as much care as I would on a client or takes me an hour for pink and white

I always do my non dominant hand first, that way I can speed through the other hand without losing too much interest That said, still takes me a couple hours for a full set of sculpted gels X

L&P on myself would take about 3 hours with Shellac on top. I tried sculpting with Brisa Gel last time, it was awkward to do my non dominant hand but took me so much less time, I've done a super quick infill after 2 weeks and none have lifted! L&P always lifts in zone 3 for me too, I'll have to give Trinitys method a go next time.

I like the idea of going to someone else for a pamper but I am very picky, last time I did was about 5 years ago, I went home and filed them into shape!

It takes me slightly longer as I need a bit more filing on my non dominant hand but not much as I'm quicker on the other hand than I am with clients. I love doing my own nails X

The thought of doing feels like a chore lol so I definitely think I will need to find someone. I'll end up with one hand done and not the other haha xx

I can do mine as a full set of acrylics with Shellac in about 1hr 30 but it's very rare I do a full set. I tend to stick to infills which I do in-between clients as much as I can then I don't feel it's as much of a chore at the end of a long day. I usually finish them off with polish on a Thursday/Friday after my last client once I've finished for the week.

I hate doing a new set so that's like a 6 monthly thing!! :(

I haven't been doing it long takes me about 3hrs for sculpted acrylic. Tbh it's really worth practicing on yourself I did it loads when training and I feel it helped esp when I didn't have clients x

I haven't been doing it long takes me about 3hrs for sculpted acrylic. Tbh it's really worth practicing on yourself I did it loads when training and I feel it helped esp when I didn't have clients x

Yes my ea did tell me this ... I'm just being lazy really [emoji87][emoji23] I took my shellac off last night and did all my cuticles etc so I may just brave it when I have some free time [emoji51] xx

Well if you do get the knack of doing them yourself you will never need to pay to get them done again! Having nice nails for free is a perk of the job for me, but I know ppl who just find it frustrating lol x

Well I pulled my finger out and did it! My first ever time sculpting and my first time in myself - it did take 3 hours for the finishes job but I'm pretty happy with them and my ea was pretty pleased too :) this is before the polish :) xx .......
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1445468719.063384.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1445468735.856316.jpg

I have Brisa Gel over natural nails and Shellac over the top - I am on my 10th rebalance with only one break on RB 3 with my thumb. I LOVE IT! It takes Kat an hour to RB (I could never do them as well myself)! Good job BTW Helward87 perfect practise makes perfect!

I have Brisa Gel over natural nails and Shellac over the top - I am on my 10th rebalance with only one break on RB 3 with my thumb. I LOVE IT! It takes Kat an hour to RB (I could never do them as well myself)! Good job BTW Helward87 perfect practise makes perfect!

Thank you :) they look so much better with my new iced vapour slicked over the top [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7] xx

Looking lovely! X

My last sculpted set on myself. Love having a play. My first attempt with coloured acrylic wouldn't have just tried it on a client x

Attachments

• 1445540168573.jpg
    1445540168573.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Back