funding for creative courses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aimee83

Reaction score
im going to give learndirect a ring tomo to see if they can help but in the meantime........does anyone know if i am able to get funding to help me out with the creative foundation course? i know that if you go to college and do nvq certain ppl are entitled to funding, but as creative is a private course, would it qualify for government funding??? confused:irked: and any help greatly appriciated!!

hi
Im not 100% certain but i dont think the government will give funding , i have tried my self to see if they provide any funding but from the information i have been told you cant unless you go to a college , you can however get a careers development loan but it is a loan not funding , you basicaly start paying it back once your course has finished but i cant remember now wether u can use it for private courses or just for nvqs .:irked:if u type careers development loan in on a search engine itll come up with the info. hth:)

i looked into this too and was told they wont do it as it is TRAINING not a qualification pants or what

I was receiving family tax credit and wanted help with course fees. I phoned everybody and asked for help and finally I got lucky.
The local job centre told me about the ERA scheme.
Basically if you are receiving family tax credit and are working part time they will give you tuition fees of up to £1000 + £8.00 for every hour that you study...Yippee!!
I used this money to do the creative foundation course, Skill building + Spa manicure & pedicure.
I would never have known about this scheme if I hadn't been a pain in the butt and nagged.
I can't say if this scheme is still going but its worth a try.

Of course it's worth a try.....all your education paid for......by us, the taxpayer and then you can come on here and get even more education for free.
David

That scheme must be still goin cos i get ERA forms to fill in at work to confim that the person or the person's parents are on benifits.

Good luck at gettin it! Its worth lookin into!

I just get my dad to fund me! hehehe... :lol:

Of course it's worth a try.....all your education paid for......by us, the taxpayer and then you can come on here and get even more education for free.
David

sour grapes maybe???

i have just taken a nail technician on and she has £200 to spend through ILA scotland, unfortunately there are no college course in our area for her to spend it, so i am having to pay for her to do courses myself.

surely its a good thing for ALL technicians to be qualified, regardless of how they get the funding too pay for it.

comments like that don't help the individual or the industry!

David

I could think of worse things my tax goes to then helping someone get a start and actually making an effort to work.. Its so easy to sit back and do nothing, infact to get grants such as these you have to search and beg.. to get money to do absolutely nothing except fill a form once a fortnight.. well thats given on a plate!

I find your comment offensive.. I have struggled to stay off the system, work and train to feel good about myself while watching friends pop out kids, sit back and do NOTHING.. and get payed..
I get ZERO government help ..why? because I have a mortgage and a business and loads of debt!! as opposed to a friend who lives in a housing trust, 3 kids and no debt who gets payments/loans and twice a year lump sum bonus's to help her feed her lifestyle.. Good luck to her i say.. i try not to be judgemental.. I am working for a future not an easy way out..

If you can get help to further your education and build a future from it.. GO FOR IT!! you will be helping the system in the end not sponging off it!

The company needs to register with Learn Direct or up here ILA Scotland to be Learner Providers.
When I was looking in to doing my Foundation Course with Creative I contacted both ILA and Creative Nail Academy Aberdeen and was told by ILA that all Aberdeen had to do was register with them and then they would be able to accept funding.
After waiting weeks before booking I contacted Aberdeen and was told by them it was to difficult to register so they weren't going to go any further:irked:

It is such a shame as when I went to do my Course there were girls there who had had their courses paid for by the Job Centre and women like me who had scrimped and saved to pay our courses I feel that the opportunity for funding should be available for everyone.

I get the Funding every year from ILA but am still unable to use it for Creative Training heres hoping this will change some time very soon:hug:

It is such a shame as when I went to do my Course there were girls there who had had their courses paid for by the Job Centre and women like me who had scrimped and saved to pay our courses I feel that the opportunity for funding should be available for everyone.

I couldn't agree with you more.

When I was training I wasn't allowed to get any funding because I was in full time employement and earning above their threshold.

Working full time doesn't mean you are rolling in the money, which is what a lot of the funding institutions think. I have a mortgage and bills to pay, food to put on the table etc etc.

Given that all of the reputable companies to train with aren't exactly cheap, how many of us honestly have £500 - £600 lying around that we could use for training ? I suspect very few of us have and that a lot of us on here had to save a long time to be able to afford the training.

I think if there was a grading system for funding things would be more fair. For instance if you are unemployed or on benefits you get a larger amount of the course paid, whereas if you are in full-time employement you get a much smaller amount paid. Let's face it, even if you got £50, it's better than a kick in the face.

Marlise

PS: I'm a tax payer, always have been, so I think if I wanted to use some of the money that I've been paying into for years, it's only fair.

Given that all of the reputable companies to train with aren't exactly cheap, how many of us honestly have £500 - £600 lying around that we could use for training ? I suspect very few of us have and that a lot of us on here had to save a long time to be able to afford the training.

I think if there was a grading system for funding things would be more fair. For instance if you are unemployed or on benefits you get a larger amount of the course paid, whereas if you are in full-time employement you get a much smaller amount paid. Let's face it, even if you got £50, it's better than a kick in the face.

Marlise

PS: I'm a tax payer, always have been, so I think if I wanted to use some of the money that I've been paying into for years, it's only fair.

I totally agree. I have been a tax payer for over 40 years and retired last year. I had to pay £750 + £450 for my kit + uniform and exam fees, (all out of my retirement pot which has to last me the rest of my life), yet the girls I shared a class with were young and on benefits and got the course for £50. I don't begrudge them learning a skill and getting work, good for them I say, but as an "OAP" lol, and the full pension is £82 per week, it somehow doesn't seem quite right. Anyway, that's my opinion for what it's worth, but good luck to those who can get it, I say. I just wish I could!!!! :cry:

:hug:

David

Gosh David. I usually wouldn't respond but this actually struck a chord with me.

There are many people who find that they have exhausted every other possiblity and that there is no other option but to place themselves on the "system". I myself, being one of them at one time in my life.

I looked at it as a way to better myself and get myself educated so I would one day become a valuable member of society and then give back what I "took", as it were.

I understand that many geeks save for a great deal of time to fund thier training but there are some who have no money to save and so unless they take help from the various schemes that has been set up to help them, how will they get off the benefit system and stop taking the taxpayers money!??

Having said all that though, I do understand your frustration as I know that there will always be some who feel that they are owed a life time and simply want to suck the system dry.

My reply to this thread is not sour grapes in the least.......I am all for proper education to raise the standards for our Industry but why should I have to pay into the system for others to take it out and recieve free training and education when I feel the money that I pay into the system could be put to better uses such as hospitals, nursing homes and better education and after school resources for children. I've read that some have no other option but to recieve benefits to get their education..... well here's another option, take responsibility for yourself, get a job and pay for your education instead of expecting others to pay for you.
David

Whilst I do to some extent agree that there are a lot of people taking advantage of the system, I don't believe that this is an area in which this is happening.

Everyone in this country has a right to further education (College / University). Of course there are ways in which you have to qualify by means of GCSE's Alevels etc and the fact that not all tuition fees are paid for. A recent survey undertaken confirmed that about only 40% of school leavers actually pursue this. I for one didn't go to university, but one thing I do know is that University Fees paid for by the Government are an awful lot more that what a Nail Course amounts to.

You've got to think about these things in the long term though. Say someone didn't go to University / College, you generally get two types of people. 1) the people who don't get very far with their life through not caring / trying or 2) the people who will do anything possible to do something and make a difference and make their life / the world better (sounds corny I know!). These people are getting their entitlement / government funding just like the others and for heavensake it's in an industry which actually does bring money into the economy. I know an awful lot of people who have finished degrees and done absolutely nothing with them - starting again after receiving all of that money to do it in the first place. In my eyes not fair at all. Don't get me started on the Oxford Music Graduate I know of who ended up working in a Bank!

More money in the economy leads to reduced unemployment and in the very end leads to reduced taxes, because in the long run all of the transfers from the rich to the poor are not needed as the poor will be in employment.

Hope this doesn't upset anyone.

Christ, now I know why I'm giving up Accounting and go into Nails full time!

Just for the record, I paid for my Creative course and my Accounting exams. Seems I should have perhaps looked for funding?!

L-J

I don't know what to think of the replies to my original post.
You try to help and all hell breaks loose but in my defense I have to say -
I am not scrounging off the state - I have allways worked but was in a job with no prospects. I wanted to be a good mum and show my kids that you can get on in the world no matter what hand you have been dealt.
As stated there are many who are happy to stay on benefits, I am not one of them.
If I went to college for 2 years the state would be paying more in fees and the inevitable chid care costs.
I would not be able to work part time and therfore the state would be funding me fully.
Also, yes I had a kick start but I still have to pay for more courses to improve and keep up but at least I am on the road to being able to provide a better future for me and my children and have some pride in myself.

You tell me David what is so wrong with that? :irked:

Well Done Flawless - there needs to be more people in the world with an attitude like yours!

L-J
xx

I was involved in education and training schemes for many years including running a school for the various incarnations of 'Youth Training Schemes'.

I am still involved in the Industry Authority that sets the Standards and requirements for national (and international) government recognised qualifications.

There is plenty of funding available for NVQ's. There are a few schemes that provide funds for 'private' training.

Further education (FE) is available to all at subsidised rates. Private training is not so readily available for funding as there is no control over standards. It can go from excellent courses delivered by individuals that are trained and experienced in both the relevant skills PLUS training skills to a person that works doing 'nails' who thinks they can earn extra money in 'training' someone to do the same. There is no regulation in these type of courses. They can only succeed on reputation.

Good teaching is all about the teacher. Some of us went to fabulous secondary schools that brought out the best in us and set us up to suceed in life. Others of us went to secondary schools that were full of teachers who didn't care much and we left with not much in the way of qualifications or motivation. Even fewer of us had parents that could pay for this same education but with teaching at a level that, if it fell short of excellent, could expect an explanation or a refund or something along those lines.

If you are a parent and care about your childrens education, you choose the school very carefully. Or you just send them to the nearest one for convenience.

The qualifications and curriculum are the same in all. The teachers are different.

Those wanting to train in this industry can choose a good training at an establishment providing NVQ's and get funding. Like secondary schools, choosing the right one is key.

If you choose the private route, unlike secondary schools, there is no regulation or control at all. You take your chance.

I sympathise with Jaydee as he is of the 'nail generation' that had to pay dearly for good education as alternatives were not available. It's tough to see others with expectations that it should be free for all who may want it.

Unfortunately, there are many statistics that show that 'free' or subsidised education is not taken as seriously as education that has been paid for. Many take the easy option and sometimes only to be eligible for other benefits.

This industry is still relatively new and a clear path to qualifications is not yet obvious. Also, the majority of those working in it today have an incredible variety of routes taken and many believe theirs is the right one.

It is a hard 'pill to swallow' when you have saved and worked to get skilled and hear another expecting to have it 'handed on a plate'. We are all in different situations and it is all relative

:irked:

I have never been in the system.. I come from a working class family who have always worked hard for what they have.. and enjoyed only what they have earnt.. but we as a family have never begrudged any who dont.. for what ever reason that is.. One thing my family and i agree on (and there isnt much) is that you get a bucketload more pride from a job well done then a job done for you.. THAT SAID..
not all people are created equal.. not all people have the opportunities that others have.. and if someone takes the opportunity to better themselves, then why the hell not? Lets face it.. thats the way the system works..

In the last 3 years i was thankful that IF i needed it i could fall back on the system.. and when i did my cert II i did so with funding from the government.. I have paid tax since i started my apprentiship at the age of 16 up to the age of 28.. but even if i had never paid tax i would have done the same.. why? because the other option would have been to do nothing.. collect single mothers benifits and not have gained the valuable gift of a second chance.. which we all deserve!!!

Sure tax should go into hospitals, nurses and schools.. but why would you begrudge it going into this industry? why is it so bad that someone gets help from the government to become a better therapist?? personaly i could find 10 other things i begrudge my tax going to then Education.. whatever form that comes under..

To the poster of this thread.. Dont take any of this personally.. i applaud you for making an effort.. but this has turned into an age old debate.. a healthy debate.. no-one is attacking you.. just the system your thread fallls under..:hug:.. your just one side of it.

exactly littlegrohl!!! you took the words out of my mouth.:hug:

My reply to this thread is not sour grapes in the least.......I am all for proper education to raise the standards for our Industry but why should I have to pay into the system for others to take it out and receive free training and education when I feel the money that I pay into the system could be put to better uses such as hospitals, nursing homes and better education and after school resources for children. I've read that some have no other option but to receive benefits to get their education..... well here's another option, take responsibility for yourself, get a job and pay for your education instead of expecting others to pay for you.
David

I sympathise with Jaydee as he is of the 'nail generation' that had to pay dearly for good education as alternatives were not available. It's tough to see others with expectations that it should be free for all who may want it.

Unfortunately, there are many statistics that show that 'free' or subsidised education is not taken as seriously as education that has been paid for. Many take the easy option and sometimes only to be eligible for other benefits.

Hi,

I had to pay for ALL my training I did at College, as well as my private Creative and Calgel courses. NO ONE helped me with funding for them, as I'm sure so many other people on this site had to do as well.

So I am from the same "nail generation" that had to pay for their education. No other alternatives were available for me either.

Having said that, I paid for all my non nail related training I did at College and Uni, nobody helped me with that either !

I do agree with your statement that some people who receive free training do not appreciate this training.

This was demonstrated quite clearly when I was doing my VTCT qualifications. There were about 12 girls on my Mani / Pedi course, 5 of us who had to pay out of our own pocket and who wanted to be there. The rest were very young girls who didn't want to be there, but had to do "something" in order to keep getting their benefits. They had no problem admitting this publicly either.

This REALLY annoyed me as I had to pay through my nose for my training, and they got it for free and were p*ssing it away. They never did any work, mostly disrupted the class with their constant chatting and generally didn't give a damn.

BUT, this is not always the case. When I did my VTCT Depilation qual, there were two older women on the course who were being funded and they put everything into that course. They were so grateful that someone was helping them learn a new skill that they could use, as without the help, they wouldn't have been able to afford it. As far as I know, those two women have managed to find jobs in a salon and are doing well.

Marlise

Latest posts

Back