Fungal infection....yikes!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABSann

Reaction score
I was giving myself a mini pedicure on Monday and when I took my polish off noticed I have fungal infection on my big toe nail on right foot.There is some onycholosis there as well.(I know the 2 tend to go together)

I usually recommend to my clients that they speak to a pharmacist or see their GP or use natural remedy of T Tree.

I know some of the tablet treatments actually have a whole host of side effects and wondered about these paint on treatments instead as I'm already taking different medications and would prefer not to have to take yet another orally.

Any feedback on a good paint on product please,one that actually works...thankyou?????:cry:

On my Calgel course I was told Calcure works wonders but I personally haven't tried it

hth's:hug:

Well we have loads of fungal probs here in Spain :eek:. Over here you go to the pharmacist before you go and bother the doctor, and imagine my amazement when the thing they recommend is Canestan! Yup, and they do it in a spray form too.

Beware though, we get the odd client who has what you describe and it is often just down to pressure from wearing il fitting shoes.

Mmmmm I'm 99% sure it's a fungal problem,see enough of it with the amount of pedi's I do:eek: and I am very careful with what shoes I wear being as I used to have bunions.It's not just the nail seperation it's white and flakey in areas of the nail.I think maybe I should double check and pop into the chemist in the village.

I guess the Canestan does make sense not sure if they do a spray over here.Thanks for your help ladies.xx

On my Calgel course I was told Calcure works wonders but I personally haven't tried it

hth's:hug:

Hi Babs

I had a fungal big toe a little while ago, I use calgel and used Calcure - it truley is fantastic. Goes on as a liquid then dries completely, I noticed a BIG difference after 5 days of using it :hug:

I am soooo naughty, I used athletes foot cream on mine and it cleared up (even though it said on the packet not to :smack:)

i too have a suspect toe (after 2 months of colored gel hiding it)

Im using........

gehwol

mouthwash and vicks ....which include thymol

And.....

Tea tree

And if that wont kill the bugger now't will!

BUT........i haven't tried the calgel product ( i do have to place and order imminetly if you'd like me to get you some to try too?)

amb x

canestan do a spray for feet specifically, my mum uses it whenever sshe gets a problem. not sure if it would work on nails though, would have to read the packet.
sian :hug:xx

try using Listerine YES .... MOUTHWASH ... (original formula) it contains Thymol, which is an anti fungal.

Thanks all,I am always open to suggestions so may well try all...lol,not all together though.:hug:

Hi Babs

I had a fungal big toe a little while ago, I use calgel and used Calcure - it truley is fantastic. Goes on as a liquid then dries completely, I noticed a BIG difference after 5 days of using it :hug:
5 days ....pffffft, maybe in cleanliness and a reduction in swelling, but not in true condition, toenails grow VERY slowly.

You should try and look at WHY this condition happened.

I recommend clients towel dry, then blow dry their feet daily before putting stockings/shoes on, many rush their daily bathing routine and often forget to dry feet properly, also overly long toenails will help this kind of condition.

Don't be greedy with length (so many of my clients try to be). Any kind of strengthening on toenails (acrylic or gel) will only help to allow this kind of condition (as it stops any kind of flexibility in the toenail) and when any kind of pressure is applied, be it from the end, the top or from underneath, the natural nail (and it's ability to stay attached to the nailplate suffers).

You can knock me down in my comments on acrylic/gel on toenails (but I'm not selling it as a service/product) and all I have is experience on my side and having to deal with the damage caused (not by the product itself) but by the ridiculous additional strength it offers.

I see putting any strengthening product on toenails (at the length they are) in comparison to fingernail, the equivalent of using MMA on fingernails (and the apparent reason we have to dislike it). I understand you may argue against this while you are selling this procedure and making money from it.

Off the top of my head I can't remember the thread, ....... on second thoughts (and research) I FOUND IT http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/...-off-dont-look-if-youre-squeamish-please.html , to this day I attribute that damage to "greed" (in reference to the length of nails and the possibility of them being strengthened) (no offense Emmsy):)

For other information in regard to treatments , refer to another of my threads
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/61546-newspaper-article-aus.html

THINK.....before you reply.

Let us know how you get on Babs, I have learned from this thread, never knew that Listerine could be used! :green: We learn something new every day!

Latest posts

Back