fungal infections and pedicures

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynn@harvs

Reaction score
I understand that it is okay to provide a pedicure on a client who has fungal toenails if you work in a 'sanitary manner'. My friend who has a fungal infection on her toenail has asked for one and although I'm happy to do it for her I'm just a bit unsure about a few things. I don't normally wear gloves when doing pedicures but I was wondering whether I should wear them when working on her toenails. Also, could I use the footspa as long as I carried out all the usual disinfection procedures etc after its use?

Thanks!

Lyn :|

You should never treat someone with a fungal infection. You could pick it up then you won't find any clients willing to let you work on them! It would be some time before you were able to work again safely and you may have lost clients by then or you might lose them because they would worry about your hygiene standards.

It is a contra-indication to manicure and pedicure as it is highly contagious and she should get the condition treated by a doctor before you give her a pedicure.

Lynn@harvs said:
I understand that it is okay to provide a pedicure on a client who has fungal toenails if you work in a 'sanitary manner'. My friend who has a fungal infection on her toenail has asked for one and although I'm happy to do it for her I'm just a bit unsure about a few things. I don't normally wear gloves when doing pedicures but I was wondering whether I should wear them when working on her toenails. Also, could I use the footspa as long as I carried out all the usual disinfection procedures etc after its use?

Thanks!

Lyn :|

Don't diagnose and dont treat, just recommend she sees her doctor or even better a dermatologist...

I totally agree would never work on anyone with infection fungal or otherwise

Thanks for all the advice! :)

I had a wee look through my notes and it staes that 'if you see a thickened, crumbly fingernail, gently soak any coating off, cleanse then refer to a GP. If you see a toenail fungal infection, it's okay to proceed with a pedicure without fear of it being contagious if you are working in a sanitary manner. It is a good idea to buff the nail to de-bulk the thickened surface caused by infections. Recommend regular Spa Pedicures and nightly use of fungal cream on the infected area.'

It was the footspa that I was really worried about and whether the normal disinfection procedures would have been sufficient. I think though it's better to be safe than sorry and not do the pedicure.:sad:

The only thing is though, fungal toenails are really common and I imagine you must come across loads of people have some sort of fungal infection on their toenails if you do regular pedicures. Has anyone ever had a client turn up for a pedicure that had a fungal infection? :eek:

Thanks again for the advice - it's really appreciated!

Lyn

Lynn@harvs said:
Thanks for all the advice! :)

I had a wee look through my notes and it staes that 'if you see a thickened, crumbly fingernail, gently soak any coating off, cleanse then refer to a GP. If you see a toenail fungal infection, it's okay to proceed with a pedicure without fear of it being contagious if you are working in a sanitary manner. It is a good idea to buff the nail to de-bulk the thickened surface caused by infections. Recommend regular Spa Pedicures and nightly use of fungal cream on the infected area.'
A fungal infection is a fungal infection............
Why should treatment for fingers be any different for toes...........
This is something that should be refered to a Doctor, Derm or Chiropodist or Podiatrist...........

I have a policy.............Fun-guys dont party here lol..............(sorry Sam but I love the name Fun-guy.........makes him sound so cute and innocent, more like a party animal then the lurgy)
HTH

Latest posts

Back