Fungal nail, allergy or psoriasis?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys. thought you would like to know - just got results from doctor - come back normal. he's not going to prescribe anything. so looks like i'm just waiting now :)

Hi guys. thought you would like to know - just got results from doctor - come back normal. he's not going to prescribe anything. so looks like i'm just waiting now :)

Great news, fungal on finger nails is rare.

Lots of Solar Oil and patience

Great news, fungal on finger nails is rare.

Lots of Solar Oil and patience

thank you trinity. by the way, not sure what solar oil is? i've been using young nails rose oil and CeraVe moisturising lotion. they're looking a lot better :D

thank you trinity. by the way, not sure what solar oil is? i've been using young nails rose oil and CeraVe moisturising lotion. they're looking a lot better :D
There's no need to use Solar Oil. It's CND's branded cuticle oil. It's sweet almond oil, rice bran oil, and jojoba with fragrance (and vitamin e as a preservative). I wouldn't recommend it or your YN Rose Oil for now.

You're better off just buying sweet almond oil and jojoba oil mixing them yourself. In case you're reacting to fragrance or essential oils in your current products, using the jojoba straight is the better choice. Fragrance/ essential oil compound allergies are extremely common and present this way when products are applied topically.
Did your doctor recommend any allergy testing to see what you are reacting to? Can you visit an allergist or derm for skin testing (it's less expensive than blood testing) so this doesn't happen again?

Hi guys. Hope everyone is well.

I appreciate this thread was started in 2020 but wanted to give you all an update.

I never started working as a nail tech, it just hasn't worked out for me.

My nails (ski slope) have grown back normal and have been for a long while, but I still have tender nail beds. They are vey sore when pressed on, and I'm still doing the same job using my hands, and wearing nitrile gloves for extended periods.

When I apply a set, I feel like I have to remove them after a few days because my nail beds seem to get more sore.

The doctor three years ago said my nails weren't fungal after the lab test, but I don't agree.

I'm now fed up of this so I'm treating myself for a fungal nail infection with Daktarin 2% cream from the pharmacy which is for skin and nails. Before I started doing this, I used to get while mushy debris under my nails whenever I put on a pair of gloves, but with the treatment I don't get this. It's actually painful typing this - my finger ends feel like they been kicked.

If the Daktarin fails I will go back to the doctor and ask about possible psoriasis.

If anyone has any experience of this or input I would appreciate it.

Thanks for reading guys.

I can see damage to the nail bed further up by the cuticle, it looks like the natural nail as been over filed too which may well have contributed to the peeling and flaking
It’s good to hear all the different ways to treat the symptoms. However, it’s the Cause that is of concern. How and why did this happen, so as not to make the same mistakes in the future.

Trying all these different products in short succession wasn’t the best idea, in my opinion. It translates into expense, but if one feels the need to experiment, please order sample size products and use only on one nail. See how it works for you.

We did this when attending beauty expos. Have each demonstrator apply to one nail and see what happens days down the line.

Just starting out in this business is so much fun with the hundreds of ads touting the ‘latest, best, revolutionary, etc.’ products. Give yourself time to Develop Skills that will translate into any line(s) you finally choose.

It’s inconvenient and painful now, but the nails are on the way to healing.

So, old thread, my bad.

Seems you are still doing your own nails?

I only put a set on now when doing something special, it's not worth the hassle, and only after testing for reactions first.

I'm fully competent with nail care and application now. I always do a test nail beforehand and wait at least a week. Don't really get swollen cuticles and itching at all, just the soreness of the nail bed.

The soreness never goes though - this is why I'm leaving them off for six months so I can see if the fungal treatment will take the soreness away.

Everything I use is HEMA free.

Last edited:
Thought I would add a picture for completeness.

These two nails show where the soreness is if you look closely.

Sort of red and patchy underneath. Almost looks like burst blood vessels.

20230704_152856.jpg

They don't look fungal to me, they look sore, I would say over thinned. Do you use an efile?

They don't look fungal to me, they look sore, I would say over thinned. Do you use an efile?

It's definitely not that as I soaked my last set off, and it's been a couple of months since I wore any nails. I took them off because it was sore, it's not sore from after I took them off, if that makes sense?

Also there's some white patchiness on the middle finger.

I see more and more press on nails that look wonderful. I would definitely recommend using them, IF the adhesive doesn’t cause reactions.

If you’re allergic to HEMA, then you’re almost assuredly allergic to many other of the chemicals used in HEMA free and other nail products. Like me. If you haven’t, check out Bob Sweden’s information and videos online. You definitely sound allergic to me and you need to cool it on the manicure skin removal until you fully understand it, even without proper diagnosis. Best

Latest posts

Back