Fungal nail help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c.mrsm

Reaction score
One of my new clients has had a pedicure, I did a client form and client card and was told she had no skin or nail problems. Then half way through the pedicure when I’m doing her gel toes she says she been treating a toe for a fungal infection for 6 months! I didn’t see it at all when I inspected them, but then I could see she had some discolouring down the side. I’m so gutted, So I’m guessing I’ve now got to replace my primer, base coat, colour and top coat. Kicking myself for not wearing gloves. I’m not even sure I want to do it anymore, it’s really caught me out . Any advice on anything else I need to do. I’ve washed my hands thoroughly but I’m worried I might get it now.

Dont worry so much. Yes fungal infections are not to be taken lightly but seems like you’ve taken all the steps to make sure it does not effect you. Ive worked with a podiatrist for several years who always said to me that if you follow the correct sanitation as disinfection routines with pedicures it won’t spread. As long as you made sure to do a proper clean and disinfection of all implements and equipment you should be fine and discard anything you don’t feel certain about. And when it comes to spreading to your own nails it needs a gateway to enter and grow so if your nails are in a normal healthy condition and you don’t have any lifting on any enhancement or broken nail seals you should be fine. What you can do for peace of mind is rebalance or replace gel polish and use a transparent color since fungus grows best under dark colours for a week or two. But this is excessive. It’s so great that you take it so seriously. Don’t let this discourage you and keep doing what your doing. It takes more than one unfortunate pedicure to create a problem. Good luck and keep up the good work!

You don't need to replace primers, base coat etc, as fungal spores cannot survive in them - the chemicals in gel polishes and such products do not provide an environment in which they can live. Bin any files/buffers though that came in to contact xx

As above but also;
Was she seeing a podiatrist or self medicating what she assumed was a fungus with something from the chemist?

I say this because I saw what looked exactly like a fungus under one of my mums toenails and she showed it to her podiatrist... it wasn’t a fungus after all, just some nail damage doing a good impersonation!

If her nail fungus was self diagnosed it might well have been something else less concerning in any case.

Thank you I don’t feel so panicky about it now, I was ready to give up a couple of days ago. So she said she’d been self treating but I quizzed her a bit more later on and asked if she was sure, then she said her podiatrist told her that’s what it was. I binned my files and buffer that I used, washed and disinfected my tools and sanitised the outsides of all the bottles I touched etc and sprayed all the inside of my bag with sanitising spray. I already binned my gel polish which is a shame but I’d kept my base, primer and top coat thankfully x

Latest posts

Back