Fungal nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
Hi there
I've been practicing applying kooky wraps and my aunt volunteered to be a guinea pig. She arrived with bright red nail varnish on her toes. I took it off and the nail plate on both big toes was soft and flak and whitish in places.on one toe was split horizontally half way down the nail. I wouldn't like to diagnose a fungal nfection but was very similar to what a fungal infection is. (the specific cheesy smell for one).

I put the kooky wraps on her and I made sure I discarded the files and disinfected my metal pusher. I have attached photo. I did the treatment coz she was my aunt, but if someone came into salon for same treatment, and I did not discover the suspicious toes till after I soaked feet and removed the deep nail polish, what do you normally do? Would you just do say a file and polish or just tidy up? How would u charge and say this to the client? They come in for nail wraps then end up having to pay for say a mini pedi that they didn't want.

Love to hear any advice
pd I can't work out how to upload photos from my phone

Ive managed to upload them. You can just about see the photo before where the split in the nail is on the big toe (it is more noticeable on the pic where the kooky has been applied as it sticks out from the nail bad laterally). I have to say that she was over the moon but I am not sure how long they will stay on for x

Attachments

• IMAG1191.jpg
    IMAG1191.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 1,120
  • IMAG1203.jpg
    IMAG1203.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 367
I wouldn't do them, simple as! Send them to a chiropodist to assess. ,fungal infections spread like wildfire so not worth even touching without a second opinion.x

I wouldn't say it looked like a fungal infection it looks like she's left polish on for too long and it's dehydrated the nail. X

The smell is bacterial and is very common with feet (nothing to worry about though)

I tend to agree it doesn't 'look' fungal. More like 'unloved'
The split and the big toe warping would lead me to believe the toe nails are allowed to get too long and end up damaged.

Easy test for dehydration is a 'drop' of solar oil (don't use a brush in case it's something more serious) if the whitening goes away - it's dehydration

If not then off to doctor/podiatrist ...
And yes in this outcome you have to be very careful to dispose of any tool used on the nail as it can spread easily

Hths

Latest posts

Back