Fungal nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siana

Reaction score
I had a lady pop in this morning for a gift voucher for a friend and she showed me her toenails and asked if I could do anything with them. Now they are really badly affected by a fungal infection and barely any toenail there. The doctor won't treat as she has a very longstanding kidney problem. She asked if they could be covered with something as she is so embarrassed and never wears open toe shoes. I'd really like to help her if I can. I've searched all the threads about making big toenails to stick on for a few days but these were with l&p and I only use gel. I was wondering if you could actually buy false toenails that she could glue on herself? Or is there another way? Any help would be much appreciated.

Do not treat her, you will have to throw away all your equipment tht was used on her! Putting something over it will only worsen the problem. It needs to heal first!! X

Can't she buy that curanail from the chemist! And treat herself

Ther is a treatment which can be used underneath polish to treat fungal nails, the brand is called gewohl look on their website and it explains. Thickended nails always luk better sanded down, thats what we do if te client has a fungal nail. Also clearzal a laquer, daily application home use, tea tree oil has antifungal properties file nail and apply daily long process but does work and is fr cheaper then over the counter products. Hope this helps x

Unfortunately this is way past treatment - it's just managing what's there that she needs. I had just thought even if I could tell her want to do regarding some sort of cover up like false toenails. I'll carry on searching but thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately this is way past treatment - it's just managing what's there that she needs. I had just thought even if I could tell her want to do regarding some sort of cover up like false toenails. I'll carry on searching but thanks for your replies.

A false toenail would just make matters worse by providing a perfect environment for the fungus to grow ... You should have been able to figure that out for your self really.

It is untrained people trying to offer solutions in an area they know nothing about that can be far more detrimental than they realise.

The best thing you could do is give the lady the correct professional advice which is to make an appointment with a chiropodist/podiatrist who will know what they are talking about.

She's been down the route of doctors/professionals and they won't treat her actual condition due to underlying health problems as I mentioned before. She wanted advice on cover-ups for weddings/special occasions. Any advice I was going to offer would have the caveat of checking with her health professional first. I don't like saying a straight 'no can't help' to people, but thank you to those who pm'd me - I will be passing your suggestions onto her and I'm sure she will be very grateful.

If docs won't treat her then u can't treat her! You don't want to make it worse x

She's been down the route of doctors/professionals and they won't treat her actual condition due to underlying health problems as I mentioned before. She wanted advice on cover-ups for weddings/special occasions. Any advice I was going to offer would have the caveat of checking with her health professional first. I don't like saying a straight 'no can't help' to people, but thank you to those who pm'd me - I will be passing your suggestions onto her and I'm sure she will be very grateful.

I wonder why people would pm you and not share their wonderful helpful advice with everyone?

There are plenty of topical medicines and treatment for fungal toes although try are often not ulcers full as it is hard to get the creams or ointments right to the seat of the infection. Takes months and months. Internsl medication such as Lamasil or Lodasil have side effects in the kidneys if taken or too prolonged a time, which is why I assume the docs don't want to prescribe. Nothing wrong with a prescription topical ointment though! But it is for a doctor to prescribe.

Latest posts

Back