SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittykitkat420

Reaction score
So attached is a picture of my nails. One of my nails broke so I took it off, because I find the salons I go to to be very rough on my nails. I noticed discoloration which I thought might be mold. The finger next to it was also feeling sensitive so I took that nail off as well. What I found is extremely disturbing, mynail seems to be peeled up and very discolored. What is this from?! Could it be illegal acrylic products? Or just improper form? Can I even put a new acrylic on? My nails ar every sensitive and get that sharp heat sensation everyone in a while almost like being zapped. The picture below they have a coat of OPI nail strengthener on them so the peeling is less obvious.

Attachments

• E93DE87F-39CF-429F-9A8A-6C290E40C463.jpeg
    E93DE87F-39CF-429F-9A8A-6C290E40C463.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 075D0CB6-3375-48AE-ABDC-5FA40485F2C8.jpeg
    075D0CB6-3375-48AE-ABDC-5FA40485F2C8.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 59
  • EB2151F4-3E3D-4F66-8B8F-E165F35241DB.jpeg
    EB2151F4-3E3D-4F66-8B8F-E165F35241DB.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 57
How did you remove? Did you peeling it off your nail with tool? This can cause very bad damage to your nail.
From what I can see it look like you having Onycholysis this is when Nail is separating from nail bed.
If you use nail as tool with extension on you can cause this happen yourself.
Sensitivity on your nail can be cause by filing too much on top when preparing for extension or can be caused if you peel extension off many time to remove.
I do not think you have fungus because fungus not usually cause pain until it become bigger infection and fungus cause nail to become peeling fall apart easy and thicker.
You should check with doctor if you suspect anything wrong because I am not doctor and can not legally diagnose but from my experience this not look like fungus to me and more like separation of nail bed and nail which can cause pain and also damage thin nails.
If this is onycholisis you can not wear extension as it can make worse the separation until it get better. Same for fungus must be treated first before any salon can legally work on your nail.
Yes is possible MMA illegal product can cause onycholisis but is not always for sure sign of using illegal product.
Photo only show so much please visit doctor to get professional opinion as nail technician can only give you the experience they have but we not allowed to treat sick nails or tell you which sickness you have for sure because we do not have medical degree.

Last edited:
I soaked off with acetone! I filed the acrylic down then soaked and used a orange wood stick to remove the soggy acrylic

Latest posts

Back