Funky French's: marbled, dribbled and frilly NNO's & a Sculpted Glitter

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
This is my recent work. I will post another critique soon of sculpts from all angles.

I can take it. Let me have it STRAIGHT.

To note: On the client with the beige marble & flowers, her left index finger is always wonky, it grows slightly crooked.. Whenever I try to 'correct' that, it looks too wide, so we leave well enough alone.
And on one pinky, it's red. Partially her fault, she tried filing lift on her own. Then when I tried to get the rest... well... she was already thin in that area from her own efforts and 'whoops':o :o :o

They are all NNO's except for the Green Glitter & the blue/white Marbled with the easter egg. Those are sculpts. Sorry the colour is weird on the green, took the pic under bad lighting, and tried correcting it in my photo editor.. colours still look odd. For the blue/white marble, she has ULTRA FLAT nails, never seen anything so flat in my life. And on the pinkies, I did it wavy on purpous and did not clean the smile line. She liked the 'flame' effect and asked me not to clean it on those ones.

I hope you like. I hope you see improvement.

See here for the other pics I want to have critiqued(the first 5 pics on this page):
OnglesChezVictoria/French Mani - Natural - Funky mani - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
and here
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b...tives/SharonPinkwithOpalTfrfoilsflowers8f.jpg

THANKS!

Those look lovely hun, well done. Love the effect on them. xxxxxxx

Victoria, I love all of these, they're fantastic.

Can you tell me how you got the effect on the last one on the top row (pink and yellow, I think)? I would love to try that.

I marbelled my daughters' toes a while ago after your tutorial and they turned out great. Thanks for that!!

Terix:hug:

Thanks!

I picked up the frilly french on the Nails magazine site, I think?
Yup, here goes: Nails Magazine - Nail Art

It was really easy to do :green:

Glad you enjoyed doing the marble!

:hug:

Thanks Victoria!!

I've had a look and didn't realise it was so easy! I really like that and thanks for sharing.:hug: :hug:

They are lovely victoria well done:)

How did you do the beige / burgandy one ?

Marlise

How did you do the beige / burgandy one ?

Marlise

I painted the mochacino french. Then went back, and applied the blood red to the smile-line, dragged it down in dribbles with a striper, and then cleaned the smileline again.

Thanks!:green:

Anyone see improvement in the overall shapes?

Very funky and original ... lovely work Victoria.

Anyone see improvement in the overall shapes?

I feel a bit cheeky responding seeing as how I'm not even done training but yes, I can :) I love the flame type design, that looks amazing! :hug:

Wow, I really like the design! Awesome work!

I'm in no position to critique, but I would definately wear them!
:D

the cuticle painting is all over the shop and takes away from the overall look. Cuticles are the frame of nails/nail art, tidy cuticle work is paramount.

You are MOST correct. My only excuse is that those were done at midnight, with me jacked up on 3 x Extra large double/double Coffees from Tim Hortons and my hands had the 'jiggles' :lol: :lol:

But honestly, I do find myself tidying up cuticles a LOT. I can't seem to get a good steady hand for that, even if I cut down my caffeine intake in the afternoons.....

Is there a trick? Otherwise, I'm forever playing clean up :irked:

PS: thanks for the other compliments

Forgive me, Victoria, I didn't rate because there were so many, each would have a different rating, sorry. But here's my overall thoughts.

Green glitter set is beautiful, almost no critique here. All the edges are in shape and the free edge looks really good. I believe you said these are sculpts and that you're working on those right now, but I think with this set, you're there.

The light blue/marbled set looks pretty good. I think you are a gel girl, no? I don't do gel, so I can't critique on that really. I just think these could have done with a custom blend to extend the nail beds. But if you don't CB, then they look very good for, from what I can tell were, pretty short nail bends. I like the jaggedy pinkies too :p

The pink and yellow ones are very cool and the shape is good here too. No criticisms there.

The beige marble/flowers is very pretty, I like that color combination. The shape is pretty good here too. This client has LOVELY nailbeds, this Mel...The only critique I can offer is that I personally go around the free edge with a coat of polish so it doesn't look uneven. I know some people choose not to do this, but if you don't, I think you need to clean and sharpen that line. Otherwise, the edge looks a bit wonky.

The burgundy/gold ones are nice, no real critique here either. And a lot of my clients have these hooky index fingers. The only way to cure it is to cut it off every once in awhile and sculpt a new one. But most of the time, you suggest that and it's like you're suggesting cutting off their actual finger. :rolleyes:

And with the pink ones, I agree about the polish on the cuticles. I don't know if this helps, you've probably heard it many times before, but this is how I polish nails (and I rarely ever clean up). I pinch the skin around the nail pretty tight so it's pulled away from the bed a bit, brace my pinkie on the table, swipe down the left side, swipe around the cuticle line and down the right side (you get a nice, smooth curve this way), swipe down the center, the swipe around the free edge. If I happen to get a little polish on the side of the finger, I just use my finger nail to wipe it away real fast and it doesn't even leave a trace (unless it's red...then well, you're screwed because red is a bitch to clean around the cuticles if you mess up, as I'm sure we all know).

Also, I went through a bit of your album and noticed that on some the free edges look a bit thick or the top surface area a bit uneven and just thought I'd ask if you turn your clients palms towards them and tip the finger down to check down the barrel that way? I didn't do this for a long time when I first started and once someone showed me that, I realized how much I'd missed before!

Anyway, I hope all this helps. I know I've gone on a bit...sorry. And good work, I love your marbled french look. I do it with acrylic, but not sure I could fuss about with polish, lol. I might have to give it a try some time.

Jess

The light blue/marbled set looks pretty good. I think you are a gel girl, no? I don't do gel, so I can't critique on that really. I just think these could have done with a custom blend to extend the nail beds. But if you don't CB, then they look very good for, from what I can tell were, pretty short nail bends. I like the jaggedy pinkies too :p

No, I haven't been doing CB's yet. Tried a couple of times, and there was waaaaay too much pink:lol: Yes, they are UV Gel.

The beige marble/flowers is very pretty, I like that color combination. The shape is pretty good here too. This client has LOVELY nailbeds, this Mel...The only critique I can offer is that I personally go around the free edge with a coat of polish so it doesn't look uneven. I know some people choose not to do this, but if you don't, I think you need to clean and sharpen that line. Otherwise, the edge looks a bit wonky.

DOESN'T SHE??? I keep telling her that when I go compete, I'm dragging her with me and says SURE and keeps asking me when :lol:
I understand and agree, but the polished french is encased in the gel. When I do this, I can't cap with the polish or the gel will seperate.
(you notice on the pink nails. it WAS capped at the ends? that was OVER the gel and not encapsulated)

The burgundy/gold ones are nice, no real critique here either. And a lot of my clients have these hooky index fingers. The only way to cure it is to cut it off every once in awhile and sculpt a new one. But most of the time, you suggest that and it's like you're suggesting cutting off their actual finger. :rolleyes:
EXACTLY :lol: and she says it doesn't bother her as much as it bothers me, so to leave it.:irked:

And with the pink ones, I agree about the polish on the cuticles. I don't know if this helps, you've probably heard it many times before, but this is how I polish nails (and I rarely ever clean up). I pinch the skin around the nail pretty tight so it's pulled away from the bed a bit, brace my pinkie on the table, swipe down the left side, swipe around the cuticle line and down the right side (you get a nice, smooth curve this way), swipe down the center, the swipe around the free edge. If I happen to get a little polish on the side of the finger, I just use my finger nail to wipe it away real fast and it doesn't even leave a trace (unless it's red...then well, you're screwed because red is a bitch to clean around the cuticles if you mess up, as I'm sure we all know).
Yes, I do 'do' this. I find it really hard with Sharon as her nails are SOOOOOOO curved (as are Melanie's). They both have ultra sharp c-curves naturally. It's tricky sometimes. I'm always afraid to 'pinch' too much and cause discomfort. I find it's more at the cuticle line that I get the most trouble.... to get a straight line and not touch the cuticle?

Also, I went through a bit of your album and noticed that on some the free edges look a bit thick or the top surface area a bit uneven and just thought I'd ask if you turn your clients palms towards them and tip the finger down to check down the barrel that way? I didn't do this for a long time when I first started and once someone showed me that, I realized how much I'd missed before!
Yes, my older pictures ARE thicker. And the shapes... well.... yes, not that great. Hence why I posted the new ones... to see if I've improved. I gather that in comparing, you think I did?

I have the MOST trouble with French NNO's that are gel french and not painted. Those, either wind up too thick OR in trying to get them thin enough, I file off the white I just finished applying:rolleyes: :irked:
Drives me INSANE.:confused: I'm having a hard time finding a happy medium.

Anyway, I hope all this helps. I know I've gone on a bit...sorry. And good work, I love your marbled french look. I do it with acrylic, but not sure I could fuss about with polish, lol. I might have to give it a try some time.
Jess

Feel free to ramble away ANY TIME!!! This is exactly the critique I wanted!
of course, I am sooooooooooooo happy that you thought my sculpts were good!! You've made my day. I've been working so very hard at them. I take a long time doing them, but clients are usually happy with them afterwards.
I still end up making them too wide at application, and filing a TONNE off :irked: which irks me no end for the waste of product and time.... but getting better. Not as wide as they used to be.

Thanks again so much for your critiques:!:

PS: regarding marbling with L&P or UV gel.. I used to marble with the gel BUT I found that when it came time to 'undo' it by filing if all off to put something new, it was tiresome (plus I experienced the same problem as with my french nno's, too thick or not thick enough etc..). SO that's where doing it with polish came in. Client has a clear NNO underneath, so there isn't all that filing AND no risk of overfiling and touching the natural nail to get it thin enough for the next application. Know what I mean?

Give it a whirl, you never know.
I'm going to post another method for marbling on the main forum, check it out. It's interesting.

Latest posts

Back