Furious

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine143a

Reaction score
I have a very large department store very near to me. They have just allowed a concession in their store that has started doing eyebrow threading on clients. Not a problem!

However, I have found out today that they are not only doing threading, but also carrying out brow tinting and lash tinting! There are no water facilities nearby, they carry out NO PATCH TEST, and have no consultation / record cards. They have been overheard telling one client that as she tints her hair she will be fine for EBT/ELT.

As this concession is in a very busy environment, they have a continuous queue of customers waiting for this shoddy service.

I am furious! :mad:(Not because they are competition, as I think competition is healthy.)

Does anyone think I should complain to them.... and environmental health, or am i just being bit petty?

Hi,

I feel bad now saying this but when i did my school education as a beautician they never told us to do a patch test :rolleyes:... i never heard anyone doing this.
Where should the patch test be done and does it have to be done then one day in advance?

I am happy that i read this since i wanted to start my own salon and offer eyelash and eyebrow tinting...

Sorry that i can,t be of any help answering to your question...but it helped me by being aware of it...

I think yes you should complain, tint testing is standard practice.It is totally wrong to tell any client that it's ok if they have their hair tinted that it will be okay for them to have their lashes/brows tinted.

Why....?well because how do they know that the hair tint has the same ingredients as in the eyelash tint?They dont know,that's the truth of it and they are risking their clients eyesight by being so irresponsible.

It is stated in all our insurance details that we MUST perform a tint test prior to carrying out any tinting procedures as I'm sure you know and this is why you are so angry.

I would like to know how they can carry out these treatments without water,how can they wash their hands,wet their cotton wool,irrigate the eye in the event of any stinging?This is all very unprofessional and I would speak to the manager of the department first just to get your facts straight.

Maybe even go in as a mystery shopper,it could be hearsay,see if they do carry out any of these routine procedures first,if not,see how far they get then stop them in their tracks,you can play it either way but make sure you take someone with you for support.

Good luck and well done for keeping our standards up.:hug:

Well just think about it this way.
if it was a member of your family that went to get them done and they were positive to the treatment you would be furious.
I would!
You gota do what you gota do!
They may not even take action on what you say but at least you will have tried!

x x x

I agree, I think that you need to see what it happening yourself first hand and then if need be you should inform someone. After all they are putting people at risk.

Oh my god i feel really *uneducated* now :eek:
Can somebody please inform me where you do the patch test and when prior to their appointment. I don,t know personally any fellow beauty therapist here that does that. I would like to pass this info allong.
I hope that nobody things i am a bad beautytherapist but i never learned it the right way it seems now. Ofcourse all the other aspects i do... but just the patch test....:cry:...i really didn,t

I do a patch test behind the client ear where it cannot be seen and I suspect most people will test this way.

Oh my god i feel really *uneducated* now :eek:
Can somebody please inform me where you do the patch test and when prior to their appointment. I don,t know personally any fellow beauty therapist here that does that. I would like to pass this info allong.
I hope that nobody things i am a bad beautytherapist but i never learned it the right way it seems now. Ofcourse all the other aspects i do... but just the patch test....:cry:...i really didn,t

Dont feel bad as it may not be a requirement in your country.

I have taken this from the Guild Web site guidance:
the first time you have it done you must visit the salon 24 hours prior to your treatment to have a patch test. The patch test, simply involves the beautician putting some of the eyelash tint (mixd with a small drop of the tinting peroxide) on your inner arm to check for an allergic reaction.

It is a requirement of all beauty insurance in the UK.

HTH

I do a patch test behind the client ear where it cannot be seen and I suspect most people will test this way.

Thank you very very very much for the information.

Dont feel bad as it may not be a requirement in your country.

I have taken this from the Guild Web site guidance:
the first time you have it done you must visit the salon 24 hours prior to your treatment to have a patch test. The patch test, simply involves the beautician putting some of the eyelash tint (mixd with a small drop of the tinting peroxide) on your inner arm to check for an allergic reaction.

It is a requirement of all beauty insurance in the UK.

HTH

If somebody is allergic do you see it straight away?? Thanks aswell for the information. I am happy that i always brows trough all the treads. I don,t really care if it is required in Sweden, i don,t want to take any chances actually.
:hug: thanks again

If somebody is allergic do you see it straight away?? Thanks aswell for the information. I am happy that i always brows trough all the treads. I don,t really care if it is required in Sweden, i don,t want to take any chances actually.

NO - most of the times it would happen after they have left the salon so I always tell the client what to look out for if the test is positive - soreness, rash, irritation etc.

Thanks for all the vital information. :hug: You're the best

If somebody is allergic do you see it straight away??

I had a lash tint test once ... within a few hours it was irritating like hell. I didn't have my eyelashes tinted following that, obviously.

Hi Mieke, I think its very good that you are going to do the skin tests now,

I saw someone have a reaction and her eyeballs the next day were like bloodshot balls of swollen jelly,
her eyes and the surrounding facial areas were also very swollen ,

She was lucky it wasn't too bad , it could have been a lot worse though ,

After seeing a reaction like that , I would never do anyones tint without a skin test first, :hug: x

The salon that my daughter goes to tests 24 hrs before each time she goes. They say that you may develop a sensitivity to it, so they prefer to always test even though you've never had a reaction before. It makes sense to me and I'm glad that they take such good care of their clients. x

Just felt the need to be a bit more precise for Mieke regarding the tint testing.

Firstly I always test behind the ear.Wipe over area with damp cotton wool,allow to dry,mix approx 1/2 centimetre with 1 drop of peroxide in dappen dish.apply about a 5 pence size to area,allow to dry,holding hair out of place
(I do behind the ear,a because there is less chance of it coming off with washing etc,and b because other people wont be able to see the staining as easily.

I ask my client to leave the test for at least 24 hrs though 48 is better.Any swelling,redness,irritation then let the therapist know and remove immediately.Sometimes a tingling sensation can be felt,this is normal.

The tint test should be noted on clients reference card,this is so other therapists know that tint test was carried out.Tests should be carried out every 6 months to be on the safeside.HTH:hug:

Does anyone think I should complain to them.... and environmental health, or am i just being bit petty?

I would be on the telly first thing in the morning to ask questions to get the scoop on it. They might have special licensing to do this ..... they might not.

By the sounds of it, they are neglecting the sanitation rules for the beauty industry. I would be furious also.

Just felt the need to be a bit more precise for Mieke regarding the tint testing.

Firstly I always test behind the ear.Wipe over area with damp cotton wool,allow to dry,mix approx 1/2 centimetre with 1 drop of peroxide in dappen dish.apply about a 5 pence size to area,allow to dry,holding hair out of place
(I do behind the ear,a because there is less chance of it coming off with washing etc,and b because other people wont be able to see the staining as easily.

I ask my client to leave the test for at least 24 hrs though 48 is better.Any swelling,redness,irritation then let the therapist know and remove immediately.Sometimes a tingling sensation can be felt,this is normal.

The tint test should be noted on clients reference card,this is so other therapists know that tint test was carried out.Tests should be carried out every 6 months to be on the safeside.HTH:hug:

:hug::hug::hug:
Thank you very much for the precise procedure. It was sweet of you *like all the others* to have taken the time to reply so well. Reading about those heavy allergic reactions that some have experienced...OMG :eek: Thanks you guys for learning me a vital, better said crucial lesson in eyelash / eyebrow tinting.

Yours is not the only Department Store that is doing this.

The two big ones in Birmingham are doing the same. The threading I can live with, but they do the eyelash tinting as well to exactly the same format you described.

Same as with you, they seem to be busy, but you know, it's the same as the NSS salons.

Clients are strange things and they don't want to go for a patch test, wait 24hrs and then have their treatment. I think sometimes they think we are quite mad wanting to do things like that and use client record cards.

So if they can walk into a place, have no test and have their eyelashes done there and then, they are happy.

I think we will probably start to see this more and more now.

Marlise

Oh My God!!! This should be stopped! Not only is it dangerous and illegal not to perform tint tests, if a client has a bad reaction because these idiots aren't doing their jobs properly it's going to have a negative effect on all therapists. People will think the treatment is crap not the therapist. If you know where they're doing it, get in there and complain, threaten trading standards if necessary!

:mad::mad::mad:

Latest posts

Back