Gappy fingers, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsMegibson

Reaction score
Hi. I’ve recently started studying barbering at college, but I’m really struggling because I have massively gappy fingers! I’m usually really good with fiddly crafts etc but literally just holding the hair straight between my two fingers is proving so hard because there’s a gap of several mm between my two fingers from knuckle to hand. If I overlap them enough to reduce the gap, it twists the hair round my finger too, so I can’t cut it straight. I can hold it fine if I do it between my thumb and first finger, but my tutor says for ‘professionalism’ I need to hold it between my first and second fingers. Do any of you have any advice please?!

You shouldn’t be cutting past your second knuckle from your fingertips :)

Thanks Fabby! So, the section that I cut is literally only the length from my fingertip to my knuckle? I’m on week 3 of my course but the college tutor is spread so thinly she hasn’t told me this Can I ask, does it matter which way up my hand goes? I find if I have it so my palm faces the floor, the hair pushes closer to my finger gap and falls through, whereas if I have my hand with my palm facing the ceiling, it stays where it should be, between the fingertip and second knuckle. Does that even make sense?!

Thanks Fabby! So, the section that I cut is literally only the length from my fingertip to my knuckle? I’m on week 3 of my course but the college tutor is spread so thinly she hasn’t told me this Can I ask, does it matter which way up my hand goes? I find if I have it so my palm faces the floor, the hair pushes closer to my finger gap and falls through, whereas if I have my hand with my palm facing the ceiling, it stays where it should be, between the fingertip and second knuckle. Does that even make sense?!
Finger tip to your second knuckle or second finger joint, I can take time to develop your feel for the hair, don’t worry too much, it comes with time xx

Yes, finger position matters a lot. You have to change the hold depending on the section you are cutting.
Have a look at some good YouTube videos.
Try freesaloneducation.com as they have some really helpful detailed tutorials that cover the basics and more advanced techniques.

Try not to worry at this stage as cutting hair well is a skill that needs lots of practice to master so don’t expect to be competent within a few months. It can take a few years to feel confident!

You
Hi. I’ve recently started studying barbering at college, but I’m really struggling because I have massively gappy fingers! I’m usually really good with fiddly crafts etc but literally just holding the hair straight between my two fingers is proving so hard because there’s a gap of several mm between my two fingers from knuckle to hand. If I overlap them enough to reduce the gap, it twists the hair round my finger too, so I can’t cut it straight. I can hold it fine if I do it between my thumb and first finger, but my tutor says for ‘professionalism’ I need to hold it between my first and second fingers. Do any of you have any advice please?!
s
it depends where you’re cutting, either way should be fine, ultimately, if your angles and tention are correct and the end result is what you aimed from then there is no problem

Keep using your index and middle finger, and take less hair, you will be fine. It's not just about professionalism by holding it in your finger and thumb, but you're not gonna be able to hold enough hair and or hold any tension.

Latest posts

Back