Garden salon water supply

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucyjcarr

Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning on building a small hair & beauty salon in my garden (planning permission permitting)
The problem I have is that the mains water pressure from our house is very bad as we are on a shared supply with our 3 neighbours (row of terrace houses)
I just had someone from Thames water visit and they said there is nothing that can be done on their end. Even though the water pressure is really bad, it meets the minimum they lawfully have to supply.
Anyway, I was hoping to get some advice on what alternatives I could use for the garden salon. I will have one wash point and also a small WC/shower room.
Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

If the weak pressure comes from the city itself, I can think of three solutions.

Elevated water tanks are probably going to be your best bet. They use gravity to deliver water at plumbing fixtures with an adequate pressure and flow rate. A pumping system replenishes the tank once water level falls below a determined level, and is turned off when the tank is full to avoid spillover. The pump ensures water availability, while the elevated tank provides the required pressure. The advantage of this configuration is that pumping horsepower is lowered, compared to a system where both pressure and flowrate must be established with a water pump. They can either be a tank on silts if space is no issue, or else they go on the roof if your garden is normal sized.

Hydro-pneumatic pressure boosters use an airtight tank that is filled with water, pressurizing the air inside until a specified value is reached, and then the pump is turned off. Since the water is being pushed down by the pressurized air in the tank, it can be delivered to plumbing fixtures at an adequate pressure even when the pump is turned off. As the water level in the hydro-pneumatic tank decreases, pressure is reduced, and the pump activates again once the lower threshold value is reached. For this type of pressure-boosting system, plumbing code usually requires the installation of a pressure relief valve, selected and configured according to the tank’s maximum rated pressure.

A water pressure booster pump operates directly on the water supply line to increase pressure. Pressure is reduced at the pump suction, so a cutoff switch must be installed to prevent collapse, which can cause severe damage to the pump impeller and other system components.

Thank you very much for such a detailed and informative answer.
We are going to have a water pump installed in our house to help with the pressure overall and also go for elevated tanks for the salon.
I really appreciate all of the advice! Many Thanks again :)

Latest posts

Back