Garden salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellymare

Reaction score
hi all, I've noticed recently - in industry mags, Facebook, insta etc that there are a lot of garden salons techs are having built in their back gardens. personally I think it's an amazing idea (as rent is so high etc) and a great way to start up, and I was thinking of getting one myself. I contacted my local council and they have rejected my proposal, on the grounds that it's a residential building and it can't be changed to a commercial / business set up. can I just ask if anyone else has had this problem and if so how did you resolve it???!
I'm currently gutted !!!
thanks in advance x

hi all, I've noticed recently - in industry mags, Facebook, insta etc that there are a lot of garden salons techs are having built in their back gardens. personally I think it's an amazing idea (as rent is so high etc) and a great way to start up, and I was thinking of getting one myself. I contacted my local council and they have rejected my proposal, on the grounds that it's a residential building and it can't be changed to a commercial / business set up. can I just ask if anyone else has had this problem and if so how did you resolve it???!
I'm currently gutted !!!
thanks in advance x
Can you not get a summer house/ log cabin?

Can you not get a summer house/ log cabin?
that's what I mean - that's what I've wanted to get but apparently it's a no :(

that's what I mean - that's what I've wanted to get but apparently it's a no :(

That’s such a shame, but I do know the rules and regs do tend to differ from council to council.

It would be fine if you built it for purely for your leisure then were to use it for work aswell at some point x

It would be fine if you built it for purely for your leisure then were to use it for work aswell at some point x

I'm in Somerset and our council require change of use planning permission for anything like that- garage / garden studio / room in your house..
It's because clients are coming to your house - they have to consider parking, increase to road traffic, disturbing neighbours etc
If you live in a road with other retail businesses you are more likely to get permission than if you live in a purely residential road.

I'm in Somerset and our council require change of use planning permission for anything like that- garage / garden studio / room in your house..
It's because clients are coming to your house - they have to consider parking, increase to road traffic, disturbing neighbours etc
If you live in a road with other retail businesses you are more likely to get permission than if you live in a purely residential road.

Same here but if you’re still using it for other purposes (gym, entertainment room etc) you don’t need a change of use as it’s not solely used as a work space

Same here but if you’re still using it for other purposes (gym, entertainment room etc) you don’t need a change of use as it’s not solely used as a work space

Sedgemoor district council are particularly strict. You can't go over your hours specified in the permission either ☹️

the council have said I could have it for lesiure but not for work at all. they also said I could have clients coming into a room in my house and I wouldn't need permission for that but my argument is - what's the difference if they are coming to a room in my home or to a room in my garden?!?

That’s what I’m saying, you don’t need permission to build it as it’s for recreational use, as long as it’s so far away from the boundary line and got a certain roof, and of a certain size (they’re allowed to be quite big now) once it’s been up for say 6 months or so say right id like to start working from it too, this is when you call the council and ask if you need permission but also inform them it’s not solely for work use. As you’re using it for other things too no change of use is needed, no permission is usually needed either. Especially if you have your own driveway etc so it doesn’t affect others. It’s worth looking into. My argument would be if it’s not a client coming and going it will be me doing mobile coming and going. If you want it to be solely for work use and if they are particularly strict you can appeal, you have to stand in a room in front of planners and fight your corner. I know someone that had to do this and they are a thriving beauty salon now. Just because they said no doesn’t mean you have to take it. Good luck xx

the council have said I could have it for lesiure but not for work at all. they also said I could have clients coming into a room in my house and I wouldn't need permission for that but my argument is - what's the difference if they are coming to a room in my home or to a room in my garden?!?

Ask to speak to someone else and appeal it, if they allow work use and home use at home, they should let you use a shed in the garden for both too. I’d fight it, Dont be scared by them, they are only human beings xxxxxx

very true, thanks all. I'll give it a good go and appeal, fingers crossed , thanks again xx

I think you can only action the appeal process once you have put in a formal planning application and it has been declined.

You can however go for a chat with the planning officer before you place an application to find out more about what may or may not be passed. This is free.
Planning application will cost you anywhere between £200 - £450

I think you can only action the appeal process once you have put in a formal planning application and it has been declined.

You can however go for a chat with the planning officer before you place an application to find out more about what may or may not be passed. This is free.
Planning application will cost you anywhere between £200 - £450

Maybe I misread the original post I read it as it said it had been declined?

Maybe I misread the original post I read it as it said it had been declined?

Sorry, I was assuming that 'rejected proposal' meant just an informal discussion had taken place. Not clear really.

well the story continues! i've had a long chat with the planning officer - your not allowed at all to run a business from a garden room / summer house, it's ok to do so from a room within your house but not from your outbuilding, seems crazy! he went on to to say that he has had his enforcement officers out to 3 similar cases in Coventry & Warwickshire to close these businesses down as they had complaint from neighbors within the last few months. he said I could put in an application but that costs £450 then you need to submit drawings which is another £400 but I'd only be told no still. seems very backwards! what's the difference in people coming to my house to people coming to my garden?!? it's alot of money just to be told no so I'm not sure if I'll persue it now xx

Even if you use it for personal use too? My garden room is my gym, it’s our entertainment room when we have guests round, it’s my dressing room. It has so many other use other than salon. My local council said that as is multi use and wasn’t originally built for salon use it was fine xxxxx

You can also do a pre application to see how likely you are to get it. I know ppl that have been told no and presented a very good case on appeal and won. Your neighbours can’t complain who comes to your house during daytime hours... and if you have parking too it won’t affect them. Xxxxx

I would just do it and keep quiet!
I know so many people working from there garage / log cabin now!
They have got bigger things to be looking out for, rather than your log cabin at the back of your garden!
[emoji106][emoji123][emoji41]x

I would just do it and keep quiet!
I know so many people working from there garage / log cabin now!
They have got bigger things to be looking out for, rather than your log cabin at the back of your garden!
[emoji106][emoji123][emoji41]x
Not sure how you can advertise and keep quiet lol. I know you think they have bigger things to worry about but they really don't ha. Plus if a neighbour complains - boom - business is gone overnight and possibly a fine/court action.

Latest posts

Back