Garden salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not wanting to be the voice of doom, but your neighbour can complain and cause you a lot of aggravation.
I ended up moving after falling out with a neighbour because she - for what ever reason- objected to me working from home.
I only took on average 4 clients a day...never on a Sunday or evening.
I worked from my conservatory, which was on the opposite side to her property....
But she would regularly phone the council to complain, that the houses were homes - for domestic use, residential and not commercial, and that she could hear 'business' being conducted when she was trying to 'quietly enjoy' her home and garden.
Eventually, we took the decision to move, as she would 'gee up' the other neighbours, and things just got very unpleasant.
You also need to check with the council if you need a licence.
If you do, they will want to come down and inspect the premises.
You will need to tick their boxes before being granted a licence.

You could keep quite, BUT I would never advise this, you will always be watching your back!
A disgruntled neighbour, or an unhappy client, WILL tip them off, and you could be left with a hefty fine and very nice garden shed, that you are unable to work from.:oops:

Even if you use it for personal use too? My garden room is my gym, it’s our entertainment room when we have guests round, it’s my dressing room. It has so many other use other than salon. My local council said that as is multi use and wasn’t originally built for salon use it was fine xxxxx
the guy at the council said he had never been asked what I had asked which was - could I use it for half salon half kids play room / relaxing room / storage etc, but he seemed to think it would still be a no.

Well I have a multi use one so I’d ask to speak to someone who knows xxxxxx

Not wanting to be the voice of doom, but your neighbour can complain and cause you a lot of aggravation.
I ended up moving after falling out with a neighbour because she - for what ever reason- objected to me working from home.
I only took on average 4 clients a day...never on a Sunday or evening.
I worked from my conservatory, which was on the opposite side to her property....
But she would regularly phone the council to complain, that the houses were homes - for domestic use, residential and not commercial, and that she could hear 'business' being conducted when she was trying to 'quietly enjoy' her home and garden.
Eventually, we took the decision to move, as she would 'gee up' the other neighbours, and things just got very unpleasant.
You also need to check with the council if you need a licence.
If you do, they will want to come down and inspect the premises.
You will need to tick their boxes before being granted a licence.

You could keep quite, BUT I would never advise this, you will always be watching your back!
A disgruntled neighbour, or an unhappy client, WILL tip them off, and you could be left with a hefty fine and very nice garden shed, that you are unable to work from.:oops:
wow what a neighbor she was! sorry to hear you went through all that! that's exactly why I've asked as I wouldn't want to be worrying. I'll chat with the council again and push harder for an ok on the mixed use of residential and part salon xx

I'd never advise anyone to open a business from home, be it in the house or in the garden, without permission.
It only takes one complaint or the council to notice your business and they will write to you to point out that you are in breach of planning permission. The letter comes by registered post and you sign for it. No saying that "you didn't know". If you carry on after this letter and don't apply for planning permission then they place an enforcement order on you and shut down your home business. End of!

By the way, the complaint doesn't have to be a neighbour, it can be anyone local.

I'd never advise anyone to open a business from home, be it in the house or in the garden, without permission.
It only takes one complaint or the council to notice your business and they will write to you to point out that you are in breach of planning permission. The letter comes by registered post and you sign for it. No saying that "you didn't know". If you carry on after this letter and don't apply for planning permission then they place an enforcement order on you and shut down your home business. End of!

By the way, the complaint doesn't have to be a neighbour, it can be anyone local.
very true! I like to sleep at night so I'll definitely want to know I have the council permission, or not!

thanks everyone for your help & advice x

Latest posts

Back