Garra Rufa Fish Spa

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starstruckbeaut

Reaction score
Hi, i have a fish spa instaled in my salon and business has tripled over night. A perfect addition to any salon if you have the dedication for the fish care maintainance. Anyone considering a system im pleased to answer any questions. x

How many tanks have you in your salon. I am seriously thinking of buying a fish spa but the double tanks are quite expensive. Where do you buy your fish from and are they hard to look after. How costly are they to maintain? Are your tanks glass or acrylic? Did they come with seating? Thanks.

Well I have no questions only praise lol. I had mine done and WOW that was fabtastic.

£10 for 15 mins no product no therapist what a money earner must that be ? And I must say if I had one of them every 3 weeks then i would be happy as you could notice diffrence,,, I had holes in my dead skin,,, iygwim lol

I did toy with the idea a few months back. There was one company that would provide the fish and the tanks and do all the cleaning out etc.... for £75 a week.
I really do think this is a novelty thing and the novelty will soon wear off. These kind of treatments have been banned in at least 14 American states and i don't think it will be long before it starts getting banned over here.
I just wouldn't want to fork out a lot of money on tanks etc... and then end up out of pocket because it gets banned.

Maybe ur right angelina , but I think it can not be ignored the benifits of this treatment which have been found for many years now In the far east countrys .

I feel it is h&s gone mad,, as has political correctness in this country .

Maybe ur right angelina , but I think it can not be ignored the benifits of this treatment which have been found for many years now In the far east countrys .

I feel it is h&s gone mad,, as has political correctness in this country .

The standard that the fish are keep in over here are of much higher standard than the USA (I'm no saying everywhere in the USA) but the pods I've seen so far an the ones my friends have are fantastic, so so so clean but overall it is true the benefits out weight everything, the difference they make for people with eczema and psorisis or other skin conditions are just amazing, and for people with diabetes who need to be really careful what they use to remove hard skin, the fish are just fantastic. As long as people keep standards up and the fish are well kept there would be no reason to have it banned.

I have to say I'm not sure if I like the idea of fish eating my dead skin, however when I was USA in September I had a pedicure and the therapist told me that I should never have the gara ruffa fish treatment as the fish are full of bacteria is this true?

I have to say I'm not sure if I like the idea of fish eating my dead skin, however when I was USA in September I had a pedicure and the therapist told me that I should never have the gara ruffa fish treatment as the fish are full of bacteria is this true?

Ha ha how funny there might of been a method in her madness . I have yoghurt for my brekkie that's full of bacteria???

Hi guys I'm in process of gettin them
In my salon at the moment ..... And the new health and safety law is every1 with tanks side be side has to change them ........ They all will
Have to have
Single tanks hope this helps

Also what licence do u need coz I'm struggling to find out what I need !!!! Xx

Hi, i have a fish spa instaled in my salon and business has tripled over night. A perfect addition to any salon if you have the dedication for the fish care maintainance. Anyone considering a system im pleased to answer any questions. x

My system is a double one which i purchased from Garra Systems, Ackrington. A little more details so hopefully it will answer everyone questions.
Currently i do daily water changes until the filtration system is established, the fish are fed twice daily on a tablet containing all vitamins required.The system takes 7 mins to fully cycle through inbetween clients and have a ultra violet sterilising light in the filtration system. Its the Garra Rufas natural instinct to feed from human skin. Its a tiny micro vibration running through your feet. As i tell my childrens parties...its lots of little kisses on your toes! I would put the sensation very near to the feeling of a tens machine but micro vibrations.
Procedure of treatment: wash clients feet in clear warm water which removes any soap or creams, Check client hasnt had tan in last 10 days or been swimming in last 24 hrs as this will affect your fish and possibly kill them. Check for the contra-indications eg, atheletes foot, fungal to toes etc. If diabetic the client can take 15 mins but no massage afterwards unless note from doc. Leave polish on or tell client on booking to take off 24 hrs prior to dip.
Place paper slippers on client to walk across to spa as not to pick up any bacteria from floors.
My arthritic clients are benefitting from this because the fish are working on the pressure points of the feet and the pain release is working up the body! I have a gent with Parkinson and he visits weekly as he says it is benefitting his condition and making him feel relaxed! Its not just for the removal of dry skin it has further benefits as described above.
My system cost £1800 but in the four weeks ive had it my takings has increased by £1400! Louise x

Hi guys I'm in process of gettin them
In my salon at the moment ..... And the new health and safety law is every1 with tanks side be side has to change them ........ They all will
Have to have
Single tanks hope this helps

Also what licence do u need coz I'm struggling to find out what I need !!!! Xx
I contacted my health and safety officer who came out, inspected the system, checked consultation forms i would be using, asked procedure from start to finish, looked in filter system to see if uv light was instaled, check all electrical equipment was tested and she wished me the best of luck. We come under Lincolnshire council, not sure if your is different but just call them and ask. Louise x

Holes in your hard skin Katie?????

I've just used that new thing that you put on your feet for 60 - 90 minutes and around 4 days later your skin just peels off. My feet were very neglected so I kept mine on for 90 minutes and I've been peeling for 3 days now.

Holes in your hard skin Katie?????

I've just used that new thing that you put on your feet for 60 - 90 minutes and around 4 days later your skin just peels off. My feet were very neglected so I kept mine on for 90 minutes and I've been peeling for 3 days now.

I've not heard of this, tell me more lol!

If you do try it, word of warning do NOT try to walk when you have them on, you'll be like bambi on ice!!

My husband has psorsis and most treatments have failed for him so he is keen to try this out. Have to say so am I for my feet. Will report back after I have been on Saturday, I don't see a problem with this as long as it's hygenic and the fish are kept in a good condition. I suppose with everything there will people for and against this treatment. :hug:

A friend sent me this today - it's an online coupon for a £6 fish pedicure in Edinburgh:

Leeds 1-Day Deals

I'm still torn - I'm a bit nervous about any cross-contamination, but in theory I think it's a good idea.

MAGIC Foot Exfoliation: Have feet like a Baby's Foot!

These are them, terrible name but the product works. It would be great for salon sales alongside pedicures

Whats interesting about this is it says do not use if allergic to aspirin.An old remedy for hard skin is to add soluble aspirin to a foot soak or crush in olive oil put on feet and wrap in cling film. I remember being told this years ago Ive never tried it but its supposed to be an excellent exfoliant.I think many of the ingrowing hair remedies contain aspirin or salycilic acid.
It can also be used as a facemask for congested skin.
I might add you do have to be careful when using it as a home remedy as it can cause hyperpigmentation so caution is required

Whats interesting about this is it says do not use if allergic to aspirin.An old remedy for hard skin is to add soluble aspirin to a foot soak or crush in olive oil put on feet and wrap in cling film. I remember being told this years ago Ive never tried it but its supposed to be an excellent exfoliant.I think many of the ingrowing hair remedies contain aspirin or salycilic acid.
It can also be used as a facemask for congested skin.
I might add you do have to be careful when using it as a home remedy as it can cause hyperpigmentation so caution is required

ha ha I know I saw that, but I'm sure it didn't say that on the packet. Any removal of skin can cause hyper or hypopigmentation but you have to take off a lot of skin for this to happen.

ha ha I know I saw that, but I'm sure it didn't say that on the packet. Any removal of skin can cause hyper or hypopigmentation but you have to take off a lot of skin for this to happen.

I would think it would be more of a problem if you used it as a face mask.I thought id better add to what i mentioned as i imagined people slapping on the crushed up Anadin and ending up all blotchy :)

Latest posts

Back