Gas & electric sky high prices - wood burning stoves a solution?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CONNECT-2-HAIR

WWW.CONNECT-2-HAIR.CO.UK
Reaction score
With gas and electric prices going sky high, is there any geeks considering a wood burning stove?

I'm in a smoke free zone, so no.

Last edited:
Interesting. My gas bill is nearing £200 a month, so would be a lot cheaper than the gas fire (gas jet one. Looks lovely but eats gas)
My concern would be where to get the wood.

If you have to pay for your wood it can be expensive.
Plus, assuming you already have a chimney breast, you may need to line it with a steel liner as tar deposits can cause problems.

Buying the logs for it are expensive though x

We have a multi fuel wood burning stove, so wood, coal etc. There is no gas in our village or in any of the surrounding villages, so we have to use oil which is mega expensive, or canister gas which also costs the earth.

I have never worked out the cost per day etc, but there's not a lot can beat when I walked in last Saturday and my husband had cleaned the house and lit the woody - lovely!!!

We looked at this for my mam's house after she had her dining room redecorated. Turned out the cost of lining the chimney to put in a wood burning stove would pretty much wipe out any savings my mam made on bills for about 5 years!

I'm so scared of running up a massive gas bill in my house that the fire and heating haven't been on since we moved in. We have a lot of blankets and woolly jumpers but our last gas bill was £30 for 3 months. :)

I pay £100 a month gas and electric x
Im with ovo energy x

Always had a coal fire when I lived with my mum and Dad (really miss it now I've moved out) we come from a coal mining family so my dad gets a coal allowance from when he worked down the pit, so in that respect it worked out cheaper, but we did have to have smokeless coal as we were in a smoke free zone - we had a multi fuel stove thing and I find that coal does give out more heat than logs and is easier to keep in for longer (but maybe that's just because I'm more experienced with coal?) really wish I had an open fire in my house, these fuel bills are painful (I'm sure my dad wouldn't mind me pinching some of his coal lol)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

We have an open fire in one room and I love it. I don't care about the dust, the mess and the work.

It isn't cheap to use though; fuel for it is expensive. Hubby will be getting his first ever fuel allowance this winter and is going to hand it straight over to our coal merchant (who is also our local publican, too!)

Bit off topic...I was looking at changing to led lighting. i have about 50+ halogen light blubs and heard they may cost more but the outlay is better in long run for electric energy consumption.

The other thing was solar panels... i dont know enough information whether it can be applied to a buisness setting? Or if it can give me back energy. i dunno how id feel about forking out 5-10k on solar panels. Are these the way forward to save money? xoxo

My neighbour has one and says it's been the biggest mistake ever! Heats up one room and that's it. And it takes a while to actually heat up a freezing room in Scotland!! X

We're thinking about it as gas mains is 5 miles away from us. We currently have an oil stove in one lounge and an open fire in the other. Wish the oil stove was multi fuel as oil is extortionate

We have a multi fuel wood burning stove, so wood, coal etc. There is no gas in our village or in any of the surrounding villages, so we have to use oil which is mega expensive, or canister gas which also costs the earth.

I have never worked out the cost per day etc, but there's not a lot can beat when I walked in last Saturday and my husband had cleaned the house and lit the woody - lovely!!!

Sqyudgerbetball I bet your house feels so friendly and warm!!!

I was thinking of getting a Multi Fuel and Wood Burning Stove in the kitchen but it means taking some kitchen units out, so will have to work out the costs. The stove pipe goes up the side of the house.

Am so fed up with the gas and electric companies being so greedy, feel really sorry for those who cannot afford to put their heating on. Hope this winter isn't too cold.

Latest posts

Back