Gastric bypass

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KerryanneG44

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I have my operation in 8 days!

So quick intro :)

I was super athletic from the age 3 till I was 21 when I was attracted and I didn't cope with it very well.
I stopped leaving the house, couldn't be around men including family members and I kind of started to not care what I ate so with not exercising and eating badly I gained 9 stone which was also with having the implant :-(

Since then I have lost 2-3 stone and was accepted the gastric bypass operation.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this operation or something like it or even lost a large amount of weight and how you managed with it?

Also if you have had a gastric bypass how long was it till you went back to work and started feeling better :)

Sorry for too much personal info xxx

Do you have associated health problems? Was this on the nhs or private?
I'm just interested as I was told I couldn't have a gastric band and I'm more overweight than you were.

Good luck with the op! Xx

I just wanted to wish you luck, I can't answer any of your questions. I had gall bladder surgery last month but I can't imagine that being remotely similar, hope it all goes smoothly x

I haven't had this operation but was 19st 6lb and am now 11st 3lb (was 10st 9lb want to get back to this.) have lost a lot of weight. Only downside is the loose skin on my stomach!!

I have had a gastric band, 3 years in May. It was very hard to adjust to initially as your whole concept of eating changes. After the operation you go through a weaning process whilst healing, liquids for up to 2 weeks only, thicker liquids, soft then normal food over a period of a couple of months. Try not to put yourself in to many social eating situations as you learn to adjust to your new eating as portions, ability to be sick can often be prominent initially. I resented it initially but became used to it but regardless of operation you have to watch what foods you eat. Weight loss surgery isn't going to assist you if you melt chocolate for example to eat. I know with a bypass you can become intolerable to some foods and with any weight loss surgery your bowels can be affected. I now suffer from IBS and similar to you you have to ensure vitamin uptake especially calcium to prevent osteoporosis. I think you may also need vit B injections when it comes to bypass surgery. Hope that helps a bit

Sent from my HTC One mini using SalonGeek mobile app

I would say up to 6-8 weeks with a bypass you could expect to be off, with the band took me a good 3 weeks then had to get used to eating thereafter x

Hi everyone,

So I have my operation in 8 days!

So quick intro :)

I was super athletic from the age 3 till I was 21 when I was attracted and I didn't cope with it very well.
I stopped leaving the house, couldn't be around men including family members and I kind of started to not care what I ate so with not exercising and eating badly I gained 9 stone which was also with having the implant :-(

Since then I have lost 2-3 stone and was accepted the gastric bypass operation.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this operation or something like it or even lost a large amount of weight and how you managed with it?

Also if you have had a gastric bypass how long was it till you went back to work and started feeling better :)

Sorry for too much personal info xxx

Is that the only option or can you save recovery time by going to a gym and eating healthily?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Someone I know has just had a band fitted (around 2 weeks ago). Her recovery time is around 3 weeks.

To be honest, I think she's probably done it because she thinks it the 'easy way out'. As yet, she's failed to change her eating habits, she just eats less. I don't think she totally understands that she actually has to put the work in too, she thinks the band will do the work. It's annoying really but, can't tell her because she 'knows' everything.

Less than two weeks after the op, she's dined in Frankie and Bennys on a couple of occasions, filled her shopping trolley with crap and is completely taking advantage.

I've never had weight loss surgery but I do know that you'll have to work just as hard with it as you would without it. They're not giving you a brain transplant so you will still crave naughty stuff, you'll still be able to eat it, you still need a lot of will power to not eat it and you'll still need to exercise and do your best to lose weight as if you'd not had the surgery.

You probably do understand all of this and are probably a bit more sensible than the person I know but just don't take it for granted.

I hope all goes well, that you do recover quickly and that you're happy with the results!

Good luck :)

Hey! I haven't had any surgery but one of my friends have. She's had the full by pass done. She is a busy mum of three kids one of whom is disabled and she recovered just fine and is looking great. She was a large lady in fact she the biggest lady I've ever seen but she's doing great and the weight came off. I'm really happy for her. And wish you luck with the operation. I think she had some vomiting after the surgery but this settled down fine. Xxx

Going to gym to aid recovery time will not help, in could actually hinder healing time especially with a bypass as you stomach is stapled, any vigorous activity could cause issues with healing effectively. You would be advised against that from my knowledge as with any surgery activity should be limited until fully healed. The bypass is quite a major operation so don't rush to heal yourself as you could cause more damage. X

Sorry got confused about gym that was reference to an alternative apologies I thought that was from original poster x

Sorry got confused about gym that was reference to an alternative apologies I thought that was from original poster x

I was about to say that I wasn't suggesting the OP get straight in the gym... God, I'm not that heartless lol.

I was just having a good old rant, probably shouldn't have.

OP defo stay away from the gym or any vigorous exercise until your Dr had said you can.

I haven't had this operation but was 19st 6lb and am now 11st 3lb (was 10st 9lb want to get back to this.) have lost a lot of weight. Only downside is the loose skin on my stomach!!

Wow!!!

Congratulations :D

That is an incredible achievement. Have a pat on the back from me :hug:

I pray you are happy after and I wish you all the best honey xx

No what I meant was instead of going for a gastric bypass - why not just save money (either yours or the tax payer) and go to a gym and eat healthily.

Anyone can shift weight with a positive attitude and determination - even those with disabilities.

No what I meant was instead of going for a gastric bypass - why not just save money (either yours or the tax payer) and go to a gym and eat healthily.

Anyone can shift weight with a positive attitude and determination - even those with disabilities.

My old boss had gastric bypass. I saw her struggle for years with her weight. She would lose weight, gain back, lose, gain etc. no matter how well she ate or much she exercised the weight wouldn't stay off and at one point it was creeping back on despite going to the gym with a trainer and eating very well. I think for some people gastric bypass is the only option.

Sometimes fighting your body is discouraging, depressing and unmotivating. She know looks amazing and she's much happier.

My old boss had gastric bypass. I saw her struggle for years with her weight. She would lose weight, gain back, lose, gain etc. no matter how well she ate or much she exercised the weight wouldn't stay off and at one point it was creeping back on despite going to the gym with a trainer and eating very well. I think for some people gastric bypass is the only option.

Sometimes fighting your body is discouraging, depressing and unmotivating. She know looks amazing and she's much happier.

Fair enough but if the world ran out of food then obese people would start losing weight.

I just find its a quick fix.

My guess is your not battling any weight issues cotton candy?

Fair enough but if the world ran out of food then obese people would start losing weight.

I just find its a quick fix.

Thats a bit mean to say. Some people have thyroid issues, metabolism problems etc. It doesn't matter how much or how little they eat, they cant lose weight or they can't lose it easily. Gastric bypass isn't ONLY for lazy, overweight people of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back