Gave Up Offering Nail Enhancements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im in America also, and i certainly see your issue. I know the Sort of 'salon' you are talking about and im sure the original poster ment to offense by what she said. I went to the same type of salon and was cut so badly with an Efile during my 'manicure' that it actually left a scar. The man didnt care in the slightest and only noticed when i pulled my hand back and blood was everywhere. He didnt remove any dust and GLUED my cut. didnt clean it or anything. I was horrifed at the way he had treated me but wasnt qualifed then and didnt know much better. They also made me pay full price (wish i knew better then) Anyways point being, some of these salons shouldnt even be open and doing nails let alone stealing clients from other people. :(

Oh, also dont know what NSS means?

Hi have just done a search and NSS stands for Non Standard Salon. There's a bit about it on this website if you type it into search. Very informative. 

I would consider rewording your post as it is very offensive to refer to the NSS salons as 'Asian'.

I'm sorry but I have to say that I did not find the post offensive on any level.

It's no different to me saying "Most of the salons around me are run by Australians" but no one would bat an eyelid if I said that...why, because it is not offensive and neither was the original posters comments.

I really feel too many people are becoming too over sensitive to this racist thing.

Nothing was mentioned about NSS, what was mentioned was Asians, it was only you who connected it and made it into a NSS thing, so I have to say that it is you who has the offensive thoughts, no one else.

I don't find this offensive at all... It's the truth and if the shoe fits then wear it.. We call them chop shops here in US and and the people who own them are Asians and they give themselves a bad name. If you look at any of them they don't even do nails on themselves prolly because they know how horrible they damage other peoples nails...

If you look at any of them they don't even do nails on themselves prolly because they know how horrible they damage other peoples nails...

This is a good point actually.. The person who did my nails had HORRIBLE nails and i remember thinking ouch coz she was practically stabbing me with her nails and the same when i had the guy do it. I also remember that when she wanted my attention she wouldnt talk to me she wouold yank my hand to get my attention. How rude!

No it is not right to put all Asian techs in the same bad basket but I would have to agree that sadly, a huge majority of this nationality is letting down the rest.
I think any nationality has this problem though, I know of many opinions about us Australians that others have and it's all based on a large group of people who do a certain thing but it doesn't mean we are all like that.

The best thing these chop shop salons could do for themselves and this entire industry is to simply smarten up their act and get in line with the good salons that exist.
Many of them bitch about the bad wrap they are getting/have got but I will agree, they have bought it upon themselves and for some silly reason clients can not see the shoddy work they hand out and are more worried about the dollar than the health of their nails/hands/feet.

One of my best tools in educating my family and friends and anybody else who will listen is.....I show them Nailzoo's videos that he has on his site about the bad salons here in Australia that have been featured on our current affair shows.
I have managed to stop many people from using these salons and I feel really good about it.
Education is the key and if you can educate your clients, then (hopefully) educate their friends and family and the list goes on and before you know it, 20 people are re-educated about why they should NOT use these types of salons.
I think people see the passion in me when I talk about it and show them the videos and with seeing this, they know it must be important to me.

I don't find this offensive at all... It's the truth and if the shoe fits then wear it.. We call them chop shops here in US and and the people who own them are Asians and they give themselves a bad name. If you look at any of them they don't even do nails on themselves prolly because they know how horrible they damage other peoples nails...

Reading this thread makes me absolutely sick to the stomach. I am so disheartened and upset by some of the views and opinions I don't think I can continue reading. 'If the shoe fits the boot then wear it' what are you trying to say? If you are Asian accept that you are a bad nail technician? Seriously? Accept that you are going to be slated about the performance of your work because of your race? When are you people going to realise, just because someone of a certain ethnicity does something, does NOT mean they are all the same. Again, I too am against NSS salons, but it has absolutely NOTHING to do with race. Why should it even be mentioned? Over and out. Have a think about it. All I can say is I hope none of you are ever faced with the discrimination I have been subject to. Truly disheartening.

Wooshka: I would agree that every nationality has this problem, and it is WRONG on all levels. I have fought anti-racism for as long as I can remember against all nationalities and races not just my own. The main problem here is racism towards asians in England is very high, especially in beauty, which happens to be my industry. I am faced with it almost everyday. I hope you can understand my frustration.

To the OP: thank you for the apology.

Reading this thread makes me absolutely sick to the stomach. I am so disheartened and upset by some of the views and opinions I don't think I can continue reading. 'If the shoe fits the boot then wear it' what are you trying to say? If you are Asian accept that you are a bad nail technician? Seriously? Accept that you are going to be slated about the performance of your work because of your race? When are you people going to realise, just because someone of a certain ethnicity does something, does NOT mean they are all the same. Again, I too am against NSS salons, but it has absolutely NOTHING to do with race. Why should it even be mentioned? Over and out. Have a think about it. All I can say is I hope none of you are ever faced with the discrimination I have been subject to. Truly disheartening.

To the OP: thank you for the apology.

I was initially reluctant to post another reply as I feel the OP thread has been hijacked by some 'anti racist' crusade and has the initial question/post has somehow been diverted from.

It has been made clear that no offence was intended and I am very sorry for any prejudice you might have faced in the past, but I feel you are allowing these past experiences to make you bitter towards other people who have no bad intentions towards you.

It has also been made crystal clear that the Asian nail techs in question are the ones which everyone agrees are promoting bad practice for cheap nails and NOT every single Asian therapist!!

"you people"???
Surely if you are classing the other posters as separate to yourself it is you who is creating the racism?

The original poster stated that she has had a problem with Asian salons. This is factual. You could understandably be offended if she has said that the salons were poor because they are Asian but she didn't!

No one has an issue with Asian nail techs, the issue is about bad salons doing poor work and undercutting prices, run by Asian people and so that was the most straight forward description to use.

This is all reminding me of a common comedy line in the uk "is it cos I is black"

Aside from the whole racism row going on here, we have an nss a salon near us who charge £25 a set, we get their clients in to us with shocking nails, one even had her nail plate drilled through to the skin, they put acrylic straight over it, she still went back! We have a beauty salon local to us offering acrylics at £15 a set (how they'll ever make money I'll never know!).....we also get their clients in with shocking nails asking us to fix them for them. There are bad nail techs all over the place, English, Irish, Asian, whatever - and not just in NSS salons. We just have to be grateful that we get the business when people realise what a bad service they were getting before! I'm new to l&p and wouldn't yet be confident to practice on real full paying clients. I think a lot of places send their girls on these one day courses and they think they're qualified. Errr, wrong!

Anyway the point I've waffled on trying to make is that I wouldn't let these people put me off trying to learn & hone my skills and do a great job for someone, because I love it, and if I only get a couple of clients in a month for extensions then so be it, hopefully I'll be good enough that they want to come back :)

Last edited:
What I don't understand is WHY on earth people still go back to have more torture?! I know how my poor nails have felt in the past when i'v practiced and practiced on them, and thats without then being drilled through etc! I had a lady recently who called for a removal because she had become allergic to her nails, when I saw them it was a bad case of over exposure and underneath the nails were sooooo thin they felt like skin, and some places i couldnt tell where the nail actually was!

This damage did not happen over night, she has been going every 2-3 weeks for 2 years! I asked her but even she couldn't explain why she kept going back, she said she didnt realise how bad the damage was until I had shown her but that it had hurt sometimes when the tech was filing!

It seems that people accept a bit of pain if it means saving money, well these are not the clients then that we should be aiming our services at.

Just been reading this thread and I HATE racism or prejudice, so much so that I will get angry at anyone who does it, but yet I don't find this thread offensive as I do not believe any malice was intended and people weren't being racist. I think the person starting the thread had only seen or heard about NSS with technicians of a Asian origin, which is not an insult, just a fact of his or her area. I've only heard of one in my area which is also run by people who appear Asian in race, but this is nothing against people of the asian race, just a fact of the area also. Stereotyping is a terrible thing, and I've come across it in my lifetime and it's awful, but anyone with any sense won't generalise and say that because there are a few NSS out there that are run by Asians that anyone with an Asian background is in turn a bad tech. That is just ridiculous. There are NSS out there that are run by White British, etc, which I came across once where i used to live, when the tech got out a chemist bag containing French manicure kit by Nailene and proceeded to do a very bad French with cutting off my eponychium leaving me bleeding.
The real enemy is the untrained nail tech offering a cheap service, and there should be some kind of authority that clamps down on them getting rid of them once and for all.

Sorry back to the topic people will do anything if they think they're getting a deal or something cheap. Even if they know it's damaging their nails. It's only when something terrible happens, like blood bursting out from a nail plate, that they get shocked into never going back.

"you people"???
Surely if you are classing the other posters as separate to yourself it is you who is creating the racism?

The original poster stated that she has had a problem with Asian salons. This is factual. You could understandably be offended if she has said that the salons were poor because they are Asian but she didn't!

No one has an issue with Asian nail techs, the issue is about bad salons doing poor work and undercutting prices, run by Asian people and so that was the most straight forward description to use.

This is all reminding me of a common comedy line in the uk "is it cos I is black"

This exactly, well said.

Just been reading this thread and I HATE racism or prejudice, so much so that I will get angry at anyone who does it, but yet I don't find this thread offensive as I do not believe any malice was intended and people weren't being racist. I think the person starting the thread had only seen or heard about NSS with technicians of a Asian origin, which is not an insult, just a fact of his or her area. I've only heard of one in my area which is also run by people who appear Asian in race, but this is nothing against people of the asian race, just a fact of the area also. Stereotyping is a terrible thing, and I've come across it in my lifetime and it's awful, but anyone with any sense won't generalise and say that because there are a few NSS out there that are run by Asians that anyone with an Asian background is in turn a bad tech. That is just ridiculous. There are NSS out there that are run by White British, etc, which I came across once where i used to live, when the tech got out a chemist bag containing French manicure kit by Nailene and proceeded to do a very bad French with cutting off my eponychium leaving me bleeding.
The real enemy is the untrained nail tech offering a cheap service, and there should be some kind of authority that clamps down on them getting rid of them once and for all.

I started this thread and, again, I must qualify my original statement, I don't know what an "NSS" is. In America that isn't a term that I've heard. Asian salons are a term we commonly use because this term is used to a describe salon that is opened, operated and run soley by Asians. You will not find anyone other than an Asian technician working in one of these type of salons. Again, I am not defaming their ethnicity in any way, shape or form. Please understand that. I really, really want to make that clear.

Thank you sooooo much for the link. I will use this terminology from now on so that I do not offend. Again, I started this thread and must apologize for my ignorance.

Being of mixed ethnicity myself, I assure you I am not a racist in any way, shape or form. I just used terminology commonly used here in the U.S.; however, it is no excuse and I'll start a trend to break that habit. "NSS" it is from here on out.

Thank you. None was.

The sensible amongst us know you had no intention to offend and there was nothing to be offended by, don't worry at all!

I don't think we should be ignoring the fact that these places are in the majority run by Asians i think this is part of the problem.
These poor people who are working in these places are obviously being exploited, that is why they can charge so little in the first place.I cant imagine how much they are paid and how long they have to work,what they are breathing in etc AND whether they should even be in the country in the first place.
Its also another reason people shouldn't be using them, in the same way people shouldnt be having foreign cleaners/nannies etc who they pay £2 an hour to and think that is perfectly acceptable. It undermines the whole structure of our country and exploits foreign workers who expect to come here for a better life and find a miserable existence.

Latest posts

Back