Geeg please help, tip broke again

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NicDox

NicDox
Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1373537578.324297.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1373537592.183958.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1373537605.317395.jpgGeeg please help again I went to shape it down as it was too long and it just snapped

Thank you for all the photos. Unfortunately I am still none the wiser. Tell me, did you use ScrubFresh to wipe before you started filing?

I haven't started doing mine yet (so excise me if im completely wrong) but just wondered, are getting damaged or weakened when u cut them to length maybe?

Sorry for bad grammar, stupid iPhone!

I haven't started doing mine yet (so excise me if im completely wrong) but just wondered, are getting damaged or weakened when u cut them to length maybe?

Good thinking ... what kind of cutters do you use and are they dull? Are they one cut or regular nail clippers?

Brand spanking new cutters and I don't wipe the actual tip with scrub fresh. I read that can weaken it.

I pep and scrub fresh before I apply the tip. Apply tip and went to go file the length down and SNAP!

I'm almost at a loss! Used the Velocity tips for about 15 years myself without cracking problems .... did you buy them from S2?

CUTTING ACROSS THE CURVE AND FLATTENING IT CAN CAUSE MICRO CRACKING which can lead to breaks and is why I asked what kind of cutters.

Make sure you clip in small tiny 'bites' don't try to cut half way across and then the other half ... small little nips does the trick without flattening and causing micro-cracks. One cut clippers can also cause the same problems if you cut slowly ... the trick is cut very fast with these and the must be super sharp. I don't use them for the very reason that they put allot of pressure on the tip.

I pep and scrub fresh before I apply the tip. Apply tip and went to go file the length down and SNAP!

This might be the issue!!! Don't Scrubfresh before you apply the tip! Your nail plate holds it for approx 30 minutes, and can STILL break down your tip, and make it brittle. I would also suggest that for clear tips to use Sealebond, it will give you faster set and better clarity.
After tip application AND prep filing, apply Scrubfresh to the NATURAL NAIL PLATE ONLY. A cut hands down pad can help make this easier, or simply fold it in half :)

This might be the issue!!! Don't Scrubfresh before you apply the tip! Your nail plate holds it for approx 30 minutes, and can STILL break down your tip, and make it brittle. I would also suggest that for clear tips to use Sealebond, it will give you faster set and better clarity.
After tip application AND prep filing, apply Scrubfresh to the NATURAL NAIL PLATE ONLY. A cut hands down pad can help make this easier, or simply fold it in half :)

But then you aren't sanitizing the entire nail plate if you do it that way. Maybe I'm just too cautious but I thought that the entire nail plate should be thoroughly cleansed.

What grit are you using when filing the tip? Are you blending and removing shine and then shaping the tip again? I've done that once with a pro impression tip and after removing the shine from the tip I decided to refine the shape again and it split the tip because it was just too thin. Could that be part of the problem?

Heather has given you CND protocol. It works and it works well and for sound reasons. The nail plate is porous. When you clean with ScrubFresh it spreads into the plate just as moisture does on a tissue whether the tip has been applied or not.

Confused now. I thought we scrub freshed nail plate before applying tip.

I am so totally confused now. The part of the tip that cracked off went no where near scrub fresh. All I did was start filing it down and it snapped. It was like it got brittle.

I think it's my cutters. Having said that I did notice that one of my new fresh tips in the box had a split/crack ever so slightly down the centre.

Confused now. I thought we scrub freshed nail plate before applying tip.

If you look at the cnd video on youtube they clearly say that you tip first and then scrubfresh:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek

I know the title says you want Geeg to answer this...but if you only wanted her advice a PM would be best ;)

As it is.....I look at the photos you posted and I am a bit confused as there is a lot of tip on the actual nail, it looks more than there should be as the contact area on Velocity tips is quite small... A micro contact area in fact.
Did you butt the contact area up to the free edge or has it slid down over and further down the nail? That would cause problems.

In the picture with the 3 nails only the middle nail looks as though the tip is properly adhered as the other 2 you see the edge on the nail is whitish and looks as though they have lifted off the nail, and would be a nightmare to blend.

My opinion would be there is some problem when applying the tips which is causing this weakness.

My advice would be that although Gelbond is a pressure set adhesive don't press too hard down on the tip, I always have my finger under the clients and press her finger/nail up onto the tip as I press the tip down. This helps me keep the right angle and fit of the tip but still get the pressure required. Also as you press the tip keep your elbow tight in at your side as if your elbow is out then you are more likely to apply a ski jump nail tip.

I hope this helps.

I know the title says you want Geeg to answer this...but if you only wanted her advice a PM would be best ;)

As it is.....I look at the photos you posted and I am a bit confused as there is a lot of tip on the actual nail, it looks more than there should be as the contact area on Velocity tips is quite small... A micro contact area in fact.
Did you butt the contact area up to the free edge or has it slid down over and further down the nail? That would cause problems.

In the picture with the 3 nails only the middle nail looks as though the tip is properly adhered as the other 2 you see the edge on the nail is whitish and looks as though they have lifted off the nail, and would be a nightmare to blend.

My opinion would be there is some problem when applying the tips which is causing this weakness.

My advice would be that although Gelbond is a pressure set adhesive don't press too hard down on the tip, I always have my finger under the clients and press her finger/nail up onto the tip as I press the tip down. This helps me keep the right angle and fit of the tip but still get the pressure required. Also as you press the tip keep your elbow tight in at your side as if your elbow is out then you are more likely to apply a ski jump nail tip.

I hope this helps.

I agree . I'm not an expert but was thinking the same thing . Lot of tip on the nail especially with velocity tips and first finger the edge of the nail look whitish (not sticking properly ) x

Izzi thanks for your help. It's really appreciated. Really! I think your right. I have stuck too much tip on and let it slid up. I will watch that. As to not pm Geeg I'm new to this app so apologies but other people can learn from my mistakes and there was another thread of mine about this earlier on. Having said that I'm so glad I did not pm cos your help and others have helped a million so thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back