Geek advice, please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajay

Reaction score
I've put this in Chit-Chat because I'm not entirely sure what I'm asking...

I moved house in August to a village with approximately 4500 residents. There are 3 mobile therapists (none with a website or Facebook page to investigate, darnit!), one holistic treatment room in a centre and a hairdressers that is closed on Mondays so beauty treatments are carried out there.

Due to work that needs doing on the house, I can't afford to convert the outbuilding until next summer at the very earliest, so would be looking to be mobile if I start before the conversion. (all dependent on the council and house insurance getting back to me....)

I work weekends - my "weekend" is Monday Tuesday, currently. In winter I am free from 5pm, in summer 7pm.

I am qualified, insured and have the equipment for:
Manicure/pedicure (including paraffin wax treatments)
Acrylic extensions
Nail Art
Swedish massage
Aromatherapy massage
Hot and Cold Stone full body massage
Warm waxing (so very basic bikini included in this one)
Eyelash tinting
Eyebrow tinting and shaping
Facial (unbranded, was an odd on to my make up)
Make up application
Spray tanning (Nouvatan)

I was planning to speak to S2 about a full Gel course (seeing as though it's been a miracle on my nails in my job!) but it's a LOT of money... More so when all of the local competition offer gels and acrylics (which I don't get on with very well). So Shellac it is - I need a certificate to be insured and I didn't buy all this stuff just to do my own!! (long story cut short: I did acrylics and gels in one 3 day course before I knew better but having checked my certificate many months later, it only says acrylics :irked: ) If I wasn't looking at mobile I'd be on the next Kim Lawless waxing course too!

The alternative plan is LvL and lashes to go mobile with a full range of eye treatments - Having checked the salon finders for both treatments, these are not on offer in my village or the surrounding villages. My concern is that technicians are recommended to charge a set amount for these treatments - I'm not sure that these wouldn't be out of locals' price range?

I am speaking to Verve about logo design etc. (And have read all the threads about networking, promoting - I've got a local village newsletter that comes every month, Facebook, website etc etc)

I still have my paperwork from when I used to be mobile elsewhere, so I know down to a penny how much each treatment costs and how long it takes.

I earn a liveable amount in a day job I love, but I still love my beauty and holistic treatments. I had a great client base previously as a mobile tech, I kept my insurance as I carry out the odd treatment here and there for friends and family. I really want to get back into it all with a vengeance!

I guess I just have no one in this strange new place I can discuss this with and want to check with some like-minded people that I'm not mad - there are enough potential clients to go around,
I offer a good range of treatments (once I've done Shellac and lash treatment courses - I'm doing some maths but I think this is better for the boat than a gel course just now?),
it can work around a full time job etc etc

I've read enough threads on here to "know" (or find!) the answers but I'm feeling a bit lost here.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Stiff drink and a talking to?

I always think there are enough clients to go around because we assume they are happy with what they've got and often, they're not!

Just a suggestion. If everyone else is offering extensions of one sort or another, why not actively not offer extensions, so you become the 'go to' person for the natural nail. We don't offer any form of extensions and we do a huge amount of manis, pedi and shellac. A generalisation I'm sure, but these clients tend to be older with a lot more disposable income. They don't want big extensions, just great looking natural nails. You offer a good range of treatments and I think if you go about it as a professional (website, great price lists etc) you can definitely give the others a run for their money!

Also can I ask why not intimate waxing if your offering waxing anyway?

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for your reply :)

My nails are natural and have done brilliantly in just two weeks with NNO in Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel... BUT that's more money - that is all that's worrying me at the moment.

I need to spend X on Shellac course to be insured, then Y for a gel course to cover me for Brisa Lite (and if that's the product I want to use, then it would be silly to go anywhere but S2 ;) )

I have no qualms about waxing - male, female, intimate, whatever! We're all based on the same design lol but I have reservations about going mobile with it - if I had my building converted already I'd be signed up to the Kim Lawless courses already.

I should correct my post that it shouldn't just be LvL etc. I am looking at other trainers (e.g. Flirties)

Basically I LOVE training in new things and want to do them all, but I need to have money coming in to fund them BUT want a good base to start with... Once I start like this I end up with more hands than an octopus :o

Have your insurance said you have to train to do shellac or brisa light? One of the great selling points of these was that you can do them with just a mani cert. May be worth checking or changing insurers as they are not all the same! That could be a starting point!

Know what you mean about spending out on courses. I thought you meant you didn't want to do intimate mobile!

Good luck

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

That'll teach me to assume!! It's up for renewal within the next few weeks so I shall ask around :D (if anyone knows an insurer who includes overlays and Shellac with a manicure certificate please shout!) Though I will still look to do the training, always something more to learn :)

The only issue I can see with waxing mobile is spillages... I'd be perfectly happy to offer it in a salon or home based, but traveling will take some thinking about. The actual treatment doesn't worry me in the slightest. I would however like to do Kim's course before offering it - I think it's a treatment where you really have to exude confidence to your clients!

I've had to take the "Will it make the boat go faster?" motto to heart... Or else I could easily spend the house repair work money on courses! :sad:

Latest posts

Back