Geek Con '08

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be interested in attending a Geek Con?

• Yes - Definately!

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Probably - Depends on dates, location, any costs etc

Votes: 39 58.2%
  • Not sure - I'd want to know a bit more first

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • No - Really not my cup of tea

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters

fozzyo

Reaction score
I'll admit it ... as well as being a bit of a Salon Geek I'm also a bit of a Sci-Fi and IT Geek. One of the things that quite often happen in the Sci-Fi and IT world are Conventions or Con's.

These are great fun for everyone involved, and something for many years I have felt the Health & Beauty industry has lacked. These are very different to the Professional Beauty, Spa Show etc type Trade Shows. When Con's get to a certain size they usually encompass some or all of the following:
  • Set in a Host Hotel over a weekend, two or three nights
  • Its a big social / networking event - meet and make friends
  • There are generally talks / demo's / workshops organised you can go to
  • Sometimes there is a Traders area - suppliers and traders there for lots of retail opportunities, and we know us Geeks love to shop!
  • Some sort of "Main Event" one of the evenings, party, food, dancing, stage show - whatever seems good for the event
  • Its as cheap as possible to go go!
A Con may just have some of the above, there was one I wanted to go to for on-line journal writers and bloggers in the States. This was a big social gathering, they used to organise a day-trip to a local site and then just had a panel discussion and Q&A session with attendee's. So they can be as big and small as people want.

So if we think of Geek Con as starting off as a bit of a social weekend get together - depending on numbers and interests we could look at where we go from there. This sound of interest to anyone?

I'd certainly be up for that Mat, and will offer my services to run a Geeky Waxing Workshop if it happens.

I think it would need to start small - maybe one day in a hotel so people can stay overnight if they like, with a series of workshops by fellow Geeks that people can sign up for during the day. Just thinking aloud here.

I imagine there would be a heck of a lot of work involved in organising something like that! :D

Would be fun if there were Klingons :D

Sounds really good:hug:

Would be fun if there were Klingons :D

:lol:
You can dress up if you want, we won't object.

Totally agree with you Andy, hotel somewhere with a room we could use for the day to run some talks / workshops and somewhere that has a reasonably priced bar or pub nearby for drinks and stuff in the evening. As you say - nice and simple.

:lol:
You can dress up if you want, we won't object

Totally agree with you Andy, hotel somewhere with a room we could use for the day to run some talks / workshops and somewhere that has a reasonably priced bar or pub nearby for drinks and stuff in the evening. As you say - nice and simple.
lol a geek meet with a twist.
I agree it sounds like it could be fun and interesting

sounds good fozzyo !

i've voted....... Probably - Depends on dates, location, any costs etc.

i do think the dates and location will cause the biggest work for you, but you sound like a geek that say's "bring it on" !:)

Sounds like a fab idea, I do however think it would take some planning. But I am sure if fellow geeks did talks and demos etc it would be fab.

sounds great :green:

Fantastic idea!! xx

so we would dress up as klingons and have a parrrdddeeeee ????

Sounds like a super duper con to me....

So long as it's held in Spain....well Javea to be precise....

so we would dress up as klingons and have a parrrdddeeeee ????

Sounds like a super duper con to me....

So long as it's held in Spain....well Javea to be precise....

Ditto lol!

I just couldn't resist answering... Will you house everybody then??? :eek::):):)

:hug:C

Sure why not ... I have a large terrace, bring a sleeping bag :green::lol:

Yeah, I'd love that! It'd be great to put geeky faces to geeky names! :green:

I don't even mind travelling provided I've got plenty of time to save up the much needed pennies for a hotel room, etc.

As other peeps have said - BRING IT ON!!!!

:hug:

That sounds good, i seem to get dragged along to all the car ones by my bf, so it'd be a nice change to have a geeky one :D

Altho, it will depend on the location, are you thinking london area or somewhere more central in the uk?

Sounds like an excellent idea to me!! :green:

Would it just be for nail geeks or hair and skin geeks too?

Love the bit about a good, cheap bar too!!:lol:

would def be up for that!!! xx

Wow - thanks for such a great response guys! Glad it sounds of interest. Who would it be for? All geeks - nail, hair & skin!

As for location and planning ... errrr, no idea yet! First stage is to get an idea of interest. Not really knowing the geographical spread of the geeks I couldn't really highlight a particular area. Though I would be tempted to say outside London, if only to make it as cheap and accessible as possible. Whever it was travel connections (road, rail & air) would play a big part on the decision.

Mat xx

Brilliant, hon. Just keep us all posted! :green: :hug:

Latest posts

Back