Geeky advice needed BIG TIME!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonilee

Reaction score
I am pretty sure I have put this in the correct forum.....huge aplogies if I hav'nt!!

Right I need advice......kinda in everything!! I am fairly newly qualified, did L&P with creative last sumer and creative mani and pedi in summer too, and then sparay tanning with TanTrick, last October I got a job in a salon in town working on a 50/50 basis, although I got loads of experience which was fantastic the 50/50 side didnt work out at all and I made the decision to go it alone in January.....which is about the time I sold my house and also decided to invest some money into my training.

I always have had a massive passion for beauty and the whole hair and beauty industry and have always wanted to work in this industry.....so I have now trained in Waxing, Nouveau Lashes, and have booked into a Eye Enhancement (tinting shaping and perming) and am doing a Hair Extensions course over Easter where they train you in 10 different techniques. I plan to also train in Make up am just researching training companies for this at the moment.

I launched my own business Uglees, in January, because I have been focussing on my training I have only advertised by car magnetics and giving out busines cards. And becasue I am training so much I feel I have forgotten how to do nails!!! (121 booked now though) my problem is now that I am not sure where to go next!! Advertising wise etc To date I have only 5 very regular clients.
Oh and to add a wee bit more, I am hugely expressive and creative i would LOVE to work in drag clubs doing make up and hair etc that type of thing!!

I have ideas but I just feel kinda stuck at the moment and losing confidence in myself.

Sorry for this HUGE post but I really need advice!

I am pretty sure I have put this in the correct forum.....huge aplogies if I hav'nt!!

Right I need advice......kinda in everything!! I am fairly newly qualified, did L&P with creative last sumer and creative mani and pedi in summer too, and then sparay tanning with TanTrick, last October I got a job in a salon in town working on a 50/50 basis, although I got loads of experience which was fantastic the 50/50 side didnt work out at all and I made the decision to go it alone in January.....which is about the time I sold my house and also decided to invest some money into my training. I always have had a massive passion for beauty and the whole hair and beauty industry and have always wanted to work in this industry.....so I have now trained in Waxing, Nouveau Lashes, and have booked into a Eye Enhancement (tinting shaping and perming) and am doing a Hair Extensions course over Easter where they train you in 10 different techniques. I plan to also train in Make up am just researching training companies for this at the moment. I launched my own business Uglees, in January, because I have been focussing on my training I have only advertised by car magnetics and giving out busines cards. And becasue I am training so much I feel I have forgotten how to do nails!!! (121 booked now though) my problem is now that I am not sure where to go next!! Advertising wise etc To date I have only 5 very regular clients.
Oh and to add a wee bit more, I am hugely expressive and creative i would LOVE to work in drag clubs doing make up and hair etc that type of thing!!

I have ideas but I just feel kinda stuck at the moment and losing confidence in myself.

Sorry for this HUGE post but I really need advice!

hiya matey!!!!! haha you can't get away from me lol - local link magazine is fab for advertising - it worked for me (and your in same area) and if you talk nicely to the lovely ladies you can bag some free edit too!! xx

Hellooooooooooooooo you!!! Cheers hun, my brain is all exhausted with training I am just not sure where to go next!!

Hellooooooooooooooo you!!! Cheers hun, my brain is all exhausted with training I am just not sure where to go next!!

highly recommended i've had a few clients from it, and if you book with them it will probably be me that designs your advert! x

wow, you have done quite a bit, every thought of settling down a concentrating on just a few things, no offense, but you sound a bit scattered in what you want to do.

wow, you have done quite a bit, every thought of settling down a concentrating on just a few things, no offense, but you sound a bit scattered in what you want to do.

None taken in the slightest, I was meant to do all this when I left school!! But because of the situation I am in at the moment (ie my little boy is pre school) and I have the finances it made sense to do the training I wanted to do so I have the qualification I want, is not to say I intend to offer these services just yet. But long term they are the things I want to be doing, I just need to get back on track right now, but yes I see what your saying
Dam it why didnt I train when I left school!!!:)

highly recommended i've had a few clients from it, and if you book with them it will probably be me that designs your advert! x

ooooh cheers again chick....do you have any contact numbers etc you could pm me with??

We have been in the industry the same length of time and have similar training experience - sort of.

I have decided to stop any other training for the next 3 months and concentrate on improving my current skills. You can spread yourself to thinly if you are not careful, I think

Good luck:)

This may help ... http://www.salongeek.com/business/28153-sassy-guide-advertising-your-business.html it's a mix of my own training and experiences, plus it's updated when someone comes up with a new idea on here, so it's pretty comprehensive.

Really now you need to focus back on the business and put any further training on the back boiler for a bit. For me when I started I advertised anywhere and everywhere just to get my name out there. Get yourself a logo and use it on ALL your marketing and advertising so that you build up a brand awareness of your business.

Monitor where your new clients come from so that you know which advertising works for you. And make your adverts sell your company. I've just come back from Spain and looked at all the local ex pat rags to see what would be my competition. Not one company would have gotten my business because there was nothing there to tempt me, it was all so bland and predictable. I know I harp on about a Unique Selling Point (USP), but if you don't hammer home what makes you fab and give people a reason to come to you then they probably won't.

The other thing that really pushes me is to do a yearly profit forecast. I set myself a target each month and really work hard to get it. I guess it comes from my sales background, but if you don't have a target to hit then you don't push yourself. Make it realistic so that it's achievable, but believe me there is no bigger buzz than smashing a sales target.

For example, I did some mega offers for Jan/ Feb because they are such quiet months of year. I pushed it to all my regular clients, and I leaflet dropped my target area (my village) every 2-3 weeks. I originally set myself a target of 5 bookings, but I had achieved that in the first 2 weeks, so I moved it up to 15 bookings in 6 weeks. It made me get off my bum and go out and deliver those leaflets and keep promoting it to all my regulars. Sadly I was ill in week 5 and so my final leaflet drop didn't get delivered. I was gutted when I only got 14/15 and I know I would have done it with that final leaflet drop!

But I could quite easily have stuck at the target of 5 and not pushed myself harder to get even more business. I guess when you are self employed that the more work you put into it the more you should get in return.

Good luck and stay focussed :hug:

Thanks sassy thats wicked advice, will take it on board thanks so much

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Latest posts

Back