Gel allergy??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonitigercharli

Reaction score
Ok this is my third question of the day....(can you tell Im off work today?? :)) I had a phone call the other day from a lady who wanted to know if I did Calgel nails which I dont..but she said she is allergic to gel and she has been tested for it and Calgel is the only one she is ok with. When I tried to get more info from her she was very vague about how she knows she is allergic to gel but she said she is ok with acrylic...now....I told her they are both in the acrylic family and I was a bit worried that I may perform a treatment on her that may cause an allergic reaction. She insisted she is ok with acrylic and I said well I will look at your nails and may get you to sign your consultation card to that effect too..what Im asking is, would you do fibreglass instead? After reviewing my nail eneyclopedia book as I havent done fibreglass for years it says this is the only option if client is allergic. I have a feeling this lady may be more trouble than she is worth...:eek: terrible thing to admit to anybody but you understand what I mean.....what would you do?
Thanks in advance,
Toni x

Gel is more likely to cause an allergic reaction than acrylic but you are right they are in the same family and have pretty much the same ingredients but are applied in different ways,
if this client is insisting on acrylics when she comes in, i would offer to do 1 finger only and ask her to come back in for you to assess in 24 hrs and take it from there,
i don't understand how she is allergic to gels but ok with calgel :eek: as this is a gel also,
but i don't use it so i am no expert on it at all, hth :hug:

Thanks Louise...I normally would but Im mobile! So I have to travel to her..and she doesnt live that close either..what do you think? x

I would phone her and talk through your concerns,
if she is insistent that she will be ok with acrylics get her to sign a disclaimer and let her make notes at the bottom of this stating why she believes she will be ok with acrylic then if she does have an allergic reaction she has written the statement herself and can only blame herself,
and just try to work extra clean (i know you work clean already) it will be the dust as you are filing that is likely to cause the problem so if you can apply the nails and minimise the filing this will help loads, hth :hug:

Thank you I will do this-better safe than sorry!!! x

Hi Love, I am terribly allergic to gel - or any UV cured product. I don't know why - but I do know it isn't an overexposure issue as the product doesn't even have to touch me to create a burn. I am not allergic to l&p - however. So I have come to the conclusion that there is something in the light cured products that my skin reacts to. Sounds like this lady may be the same.

Hope this helps

Melanie

Hi Love, I am terribly allergic to gel - or any UV cured product. I don't know why - but I do know it isn't an overexposure issue as the product doesn't even have to touch me to create a burn. I am not allergic to l&p - however. So I have come to the conclusion that there is something in the light cured products that my skin reacts to. Sounds like this lady may be the same.

Hope this helps

Melanie

Isn't Calgel UV cured then? Why would she be ok with Calgel and not other Gel products?

Hope this helps

Melanie

Thanks for this Melanie, it is interesting why it would be one & not another but I cant even use my gel top coat sealer on her nails - saves me carting my lamp around anyway!!:)
xx

Latest posts

Back