Gel application question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coppertop

Reaction score
Ok i had never heard of a bonding layer until today and we have now been let loose with clients at college!
I am now confused, doesn't take a lot at times like but i am worried that they way i am being taught is not correct.
Is there anyone who would be willing to take a look at the application routines i have been given and put my mind at ease?
:irked:

i will hun...you can pm if you want to...xx

ღMandyღ;667807 said:
Ok i had never heard of a bonding layer until today and we have now been let loose with clients at college!
I am now confused, doesn't take a lot at times like but i am worried that they way i am being taught is not correct.
Is there anyone who would be willing to take a look at the application routines i have been given and put my mind at ease?
:irked:

Thin, "bonding" layer helps with adhesion.
What brand are you using?

PS. Don't forget also that there is many "right" ways of doing things... many different techniques and many different styles.

We use Millenium at college but they just don't seem to be very strong they way we are doing it.
Anyway what i have done today is applied one nail on myself, first attempt but got there in the end.
Now i am on the go all the time and my hands get some stick so we will see how long it lasts.

This is how i did it and the gel is an all in one.
Prep
Applied tip and blended, no tip blend
Applied nail prep
Thin coat of gel to whole of nail
Cure
Second coat of gel, a little thicker to get shape
Cure
Applied a very thin layer of gel to the tip and dabben on glitter (am trying out the whole gliter thing while i'm on)
Cure
Thin layer of gel to whole of nail
Cure
UV topcoat
Cure
Oil

Now how does that sound? It looks good for my first attempt on me and feels strong too.
Have i applied too much gel with it being an all in one?
If i could get a good pic i could post it but i need to work out how to do that too! lol.

2007_1205Myphotos0183 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
This is a link to a photo of the nail i did on myself, is gel with glitter on the tip.
Not perfect but after a week it's still going strong and looking good.
What do you all think? I have only done 3 full sets of gel, well 3 plus one finger with mine!

ღMandyღ;671171 said:
This is a link to a photo of the nail i did on myself, is gel with glitter on the tip.
What do you all think? I have only done 3 full sets of gel, well 3 plus one finger with mine!

There don't seem to be any problems with that one. Good for you.

The most important points are:
where the gel meets the natural nail (at the cuticle) it should thin and building up gradually towards the centre of the nail (breaking point). If it is too thick at the join/cuticle area it WILL lift.

Make sure you remove any bits of cuticle/dead skin from the nail bed before applying gel. If you apply the gel to skin that is stuck on the nail bed it WILL lift there.

Make sure you have built up the stress area/breaking point enough, if it is all one level and not thick enough it WILL break. And make sue you cover the sides with gel and when your technique gets better try building up the sides a little more so they are stronger

ღMandyღ;671171 said:

thats beautiful....very very nice. well done x

ღMandyღ;671171 said:

i love how you done the glitter hun...well done xx

thats beautiful....very very nice. well done x

Thanks Angie, hope to be as good as you one day, love your work and thank you for all your help and advice! :hug:

Thank you all, really had a confidence boost there. I have had really good feedback about my gel from my new tutor tonight aswell so really happy, just got to keep my standards up now and try and master L&P and fibreglass!!!!!

Latest posts

Back