Gel brands for beginner?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peachiee

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently quit my job in a salon as I'm currently at university and working part time was starting to become too much as well as studying. I'm now looking into doing my own gel nails around the uni campus for discounted prices (£15 for gel) to accommodate for students like me who can't afford to spend £25 for a gel mani every 2 weeks, but unsure of what brand to use, I don't want to use anything too cheap (brands like bluesky...) and as I'm a student I certainly can't afford brands like gelish and the gel bottle etc. My friend uses claw culture, and although they don't last much longer than 2 weeks on my fingernails they last for over a month on my toes. They also have a great range of colours and do a deal where you get 4 polishes for £xxx. I understand you get what you pay for, but I literally cannot afford to pay much more than £xxx for 1 bottle of polish. I'm not expecting to get the most amazing product, but just wondering if anybody knows any middle tier brands that are okay. Thanks !

Hello,

I have recently quit my job in a salon as I'm currently at university and working part time was starting to become too much as well as studying. I'm now looking into doing my own gel nails around the uni campus for discounted prices (£15 for gel) to accommodate for students like me who can't afford to spend £25 for a gel mani every 2 weeks, but unsure of what brand to use, I don't want to use anything too cheap (brands like bluesky...) and as I'm a student I certainly can't afford brands like gelish and the gel bottle etc. My friend uses claw culture, and although they don't last much longer than 2 weeks on my fingernails they last for over a month on my toes. They also have a great range of colours and do a deal where you get 4 polishes for £xxx. I understand you get what you pay for, but I literally cannot afford to pay much more than £xxx for 1 bottle of polish. I'm not expecting to get the most amazing product, but just wondering if anybody knows any middle tier brands that are okay. Thanks !

Hello and welcome to Salon Geek.

Please can I ask you to confirm that you are either currently in training, or are already a qualified nail professional?

In the meantime, please note that we do not allow the posting of trade prices on the site, and your opening post has been edited accordingly.

Hello and welcome to Salon Geek.

Please can I ask you to confirm that you are either currently in training, or are already a qualified nail professional?

In the meantime, please note that we do not allow the posting of trade prices on the site, and your opening post has been edited accordingly.

Yes I'm a fully qualified beauty therapist and qualified to do gel nails. I didn't realise I was listing trade prices as on the company website all the prices are available to view and the same whether in the trade or not. The second price I mentioned was just the price I'm willing to pay, not a price of any product in particular. Sorry about that!

Yes I'm a fully qualified beauty therapist and qualified to do gel nails. I didn't realise I was listing trade prices as on the company website all the prices are available to view and the same whether in the trade or not. The second price I mentioned was just the price I'm willing to pay, not a price of any product in particular. Sorry about that!

Thank you for confirming.

Whichever brand you decide to go with, it’s always advisable to go with a professional system, which is not readily available to the general public (which is also the reason we do not allow the posting or suggestion of trade prices), and is well represented with customer support and educational advice.

As you will no doubt, there are many brand choices available, and it is not necessarily about the cost, but making an informed decision on what is best for you and your clients, once all that research and facts have been obtained.

Thank you for confirming.

Whichever brand you decide to go with, it’s always advisable to go with a professional system, which is not readily available to the general public, and is well represented with customer support and educational advice.

As you will no doubt, there are many brand choices available, and it is not necessarily about the cost, but making an informed decision on what is best for you and your clients, once all that research and facts have been obtained.

Thank you for the reply. Do you consider the gel bottle to be a professional brand? As I have been considering biting the bullet on cost and buying from them

Thank you for the reply. Do you consider the gel bottle to be a professional brand? As I have been considering biting the bullet on cost and buying from them

As far as I know, Gel Bottle is a professional brand, and is also well used by the nail technicians who are registered with us here on Salon Geek.

Searching the Nail forum which reveal many threads on this particular system, so is worth a look.

As far as I know, Gel Bottle is a professional brand, and is also well used by the nail technicians who are registered with us here on Salon Geek.

Searching the Nail forum which reveal many threads on this particular system, so is worth a look.

The Gel Bottle can be purchased by the public though so just wondering if this makes it unprofessional lol? Thanks, I'll have a look

The Gel Bottle can be purchased by the public though so just wondering if this makes it unprofessional lol? Thanks, I'll have a look

Any system can be purchased anywhere through unauthorised sources, but it’s important to acquire products via the correct methods and it’s authorised distributors, to avoid any doubt of authenticity.

Any system can be purchased anywhere through unauthorised sources, but it’s important to acquire products via the correct methods and it’s authorised distributors, to avoid any doubt of authenticity.

The Gel Bottle can be purchased by anybody from their own company website

Attachments

• 8DEF930C-C99B-4AD6-927C-10304FEAE338.png
    8DEF930C-C99B-4AD6-927C-10304FEAE338.png
    219.9 KB · Views: 61

Regardless of what they claim on their website anybody can place an order without being asked for credentials which has been mentioned a few times on salongeek from what I can see. But thank you for the info I appreciate it a lot

A few suggestions for middle tier gels that are nice to use.
BTW Have you got insurance so that you can get trade cards from warehouse suppliers?
If you have then I would recommend looking into the following gels, and their specific lamps.

Gellux : -lamps readily available from sally's or alanhoward.
Cuccio veneer : - max pro 2 lamp is reasonably priced from alan howard or cuccio Nottingham- excellent customer service in my experience.
INK London : - lamp and gels from their website.

Hope that helps

A few suggestions for middle tier gels that are nice to use.
BTW Have you got insurance so that you can get trade cards from warehouse suppliers?
If you have then I would recommend looking into the following gels, and their specific lamps.

Gellux : -lamps readily available from sally's or alanhoward.
Cuccio veneer : - max pro 2 lamp is reasonably priced from alan howard or cuccio Nottingham- excellent customer service in my experience.
INK London : - lamp and gels from their website.

Hope that helps

Thank you for your reply :) Yes I do have insurance and already have a trade card since I was a student, I've been working in a salon for a while now where they only used gelish and OPI so I don't really have any experience with any other brands which is why I came here for advice ! Thank you for the list of products I will have a look at them

You are right, despite changing to pro only, TGB do seem to be inconsistent in checking qualifications from what I've read. It's also worth being aware that there are some current uncertainties regarding the cause of an increasing number of nail techs and clients experiencing onycholysis whilst using BIAB and Rubber Base, (Premier Gel too).

Rosie's recommendations are good. You could also look at Ikon.iq and I'm reading lots of good reports about Magpie at the moment.

I have used Gelish, Cuccio, ASP, TGB and INK London. My favourite is definitely INK. I would stick with a brand that is manufactured in the EU/USA, has its own tested lamp and offers a training program.

You are right, despite changing to pro only, TGB do seem to be inconsistent in checking qualifications from what I've read. It's also worth being aware that there are some current uncertainties regarding the cause of an increasing number of nail techs and clients experiencing onycholysis whilst using BIAB and Rubber Base, (Premier Gel too).

Rosie's recommendations are good. You could also look at Ikon.iq and I'm reading lots of good reports about Magpie at the moment.

I have used Gelish, Cuccio, ASP, TGB and INK London. My favourite is definitely INK. I would stick with a brand that is manufactured in the EU/USA, has its own tested lamp and offers a training program.

Thanks for your reply, I was looking at INK as you commented. I think I'm defo going to go with them. Do you use the iLac or xLac? I've read the xLac isn't as long lasting but they do a really good offer on one of the xLac kits which would be perfect as I'm a student and living off my student loan, and also don't have a client base yet so I don't really want to fork out hundreds only to gain no clients and be hundreds out of pocket !

Thanks for your reply, I was looking at INK as you commented. I think I'm defo going to go with them. Do you use the iLac or xLac? I've read the xLac isn't as long lasting but they do a really good offer on one of the xLac kits which would be perfect as I'm a student and living off my student loan, and also don't have a client base yet so I don't really want to fork out hundreds only to gain no clients and be hundreds out of pocket !

I haven't tried xLac. I've heard it lasts well on toes, but I don't think it would meet my clients expectations on fingers as it's not as hard wearing. ILac on the other hand lasts really well. I use Clear Flubber as a base coat for just gel polish and I find it soaks off easily. I use Cover Flubber as more of an overlay for clients needing extra strength and I infill that.

The ILac Pro starter kit with the Kool48 lamp is really good value. You get to choose 6 ILac colours. Pick a good range of colours to suit the season. No point choosing summery or spring shades with Christmas coming. Definitely get Eccentric though as that is a clear gel with holo glitter in that you can apply on top of all colours and everyone loves it!

Ink London are a good brand with reasonable costs Iv just started up and am very happy so for xx

Iv got the I lac polishes they r great I didn’t bother with the x lac as I read it didn’t last as long xx the flubber base coat is fab too x

I had to provide certificates in order to purchase from the Gel Bottle. There was a time when they first started that it was available for any to purchase. That changed a few years ago.

Latest posts

Back